Lowness of the front bumper

eye30 · 27 · 8022

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Does anyone else have a problem with the lowness of the front bumper?

Where I park in work, slight rise from the road no kerb, I sometimes catch the underside front on the road.

It happens more when I approach straight on, not so much a problem if I approach side on and then turn sterring right and park in space.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Can't say I've had that experience.

Are your tyre pressures up to scratch? 32-34psi?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
I've had that happen on a few steep car park approaches, and high car park concrete surrounds are a pain too

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Quote from: "Shambles"
Are your tyre pressures up to scratch? 32-34psi?

First thing I checked.

I think its to do with the angle of the rise from road level to parking bay level.

Its as if the ground clearance between the road and bottom of the front plastic protector is just that bit low.  You can see the scuffing on the right of the plastic protector.

Does anyone know or can someone measure the ground clearance so I can check to mine.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Eye,

I just measured it with a ruler (a bit hard) looks like about 18cm or 5 inches (in our driveway anyway) hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Mine's about 8"

Might be down to the rim size? I'm on 17" rims
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Quote from: "Pip"
180mm is closer to 7"... :oops:  :lol:

Mine's about 8"

Might be down to the rim size? I'm on 17" rims

I would have thought the rolling diameter was the same (lower profile) maybe my driveway has a bump in it...

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• White i30 SLX CRDi, 5sp man. Brisbane, QLD

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
i've never had a problem in that area Eye, but the metal ring?? that is there to tow a broken i30, is what always hits ground on mine not the body. what you need is an adjustable air suspention :lol:
cheers

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Ok been out and measured.

15 inch tyres

7.75 inches (17cm/170mm)

So it would seem height OK.

Must be slope of path/road causing problem.

Cheers for all your measurements.

Offline silveri30uk

• 2nd Gear
Low front bumper-tell me about it! Just hit the front nearside bumper on Friday! My car is only 6 weeks old! A dent, 4 ins by 3 ins and 3 inc deep. No damage to paint though. Chips Away can't fix it and so I was going to a body shop on Monday.

Guess what? I try with my hair dryer and when it was nice and hot, push it from inside of the bumper, it came out and looks like as it was before! So I must have saved some £300.

Not bad hey!

silveri30uk

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Guess what? I try with my hair dryer and when it was nice and hot, push it from inside of the bumper, it came out and looks like as it was before! So I must have saved some £300.

Not bad hey!

silveri30uk

Good thinking and good result.. That's about the only thing I need a hair dryer for these days... :-[

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
I frequently have to drive my grandparents to the doctors and their driveway is very steep, especially at the bottom. If I attack it head on I scrape too, so I come at it from the side and never have a scraping problem. Don't even scrape the mudflaps on the way down.  :D

It's a difficult thing but I guess they have to compromise the looks and aerodynamics of the car against it's practicality and ability to deal with high gutters and bumps. That's why I don't lower my cars any more - too many scratched bumpers!  :'(

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
I'll admit my car is quite low, I have almost perfected the art of stopping before you hit the carpark indicators or gutters in parking lots to stop the front bar form catching, and I'm always mindful when exiting or entering any driveway to always approach on an angle.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Good thinking and good result.. That's about the only thing I need a hair dryer for these days... :-[

What's a hairdryer  :question::rolleyes: :lol:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I've got quite a few scratches on that little plastic bit similar to eye's picture.

There's so many different ways that it can happen, best solution is to approach on an angle.

Regards

Daniel

Offline wearyone

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Durham
I think all current designs suffer from the same problem. Bring back the bolt on bumper!
My current Mazda 3 has the same problem (and scrapes) as did the Chevi Lacetti (but that was only a minor complaint compared to the rest of the car)
My Citroen ZX had the best; black soft-ish plastic. I once had a Ford Ka bump my back end at a junction, not a mark on my ZX but the Ka had a lovely crease across the bonnet.

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Concrete kerbs at car parks can be a real pain for my front bumper. My old Commodore used to fall victim to that too

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I think this thread has jinxed me. I now have scrape marks all along the lowest coloured part of the bumper below the grill.

I'm going to wash the car tomorrow and see how bad the damage is I'm hoping the dirt and dust isn't masking bad damage.......... :'( :'( :'(

It happened whilst doing a three point turn where the sides of the road were dirt and rock and rose quicker from the road than I expected, I thought I had enough clearance and the there was a loud scraping noise. I'm really not impressed with myself.

Anyone got good recommendations how I can try and fix it up without it being to costly?

Thanks.

Daniel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Daniel,

You could either mask it and prep the area with some fine sanding paper then spray the bottom inch or two of the leading edge with a satin black spray..

or go to Autobarn or one of the bigger car dealers and see if they offer to match you paint and put it in a spray can.. then prep and spray as above..

I've done a bit of it and it's not that hard...

Offline silveri30uk

• 2nd Gear
I have seen work done by Chips Away and they are quite good and cheap too. Search their website and get a quote. They will do it at your home or office address.

silveri30uk

Offline Yoshiofthewire

• 1st Gear
I bottom out all the time in the Speed Bumps in my development
The only way I don't hit the bump is if I'm going 5mph

Offline silveri30uk

• 2nd Gear
Not really related to the lowness of bumper but last week a piece of black sponge fall down from the front bumper and its hanging down . I tried to investigate and pushed the sponge back to the slot but came down again today. I saw another red i30 and noticed the same thing. Like mine, its a Czech one so does any one know what this is before I speak to the local dealer?

silveri30uk

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Not really related to the lowness of bumper but last week a piece of black sponge fall down from the front bumper and its hanging down . I tried to investigate and pushed the sponge back to the slot but came down again today. I saw another red i30 and noticed the same thing. Like mine, its a Czech one so does any one know what this is before I speak to the local dealer?

silveri30uk

Hi silver,

This happened to a couple of other members, with Korean-built ones too.

See this thread https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,1636.0.html

Nothing to panic about too much methinks.  :D

Offline Goldfish_8

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Toytown
Oh yes, I do have the odd clearance problem.

With the body kit, 18"s and the factory lowering spring option, I can just about muster a 4 1/2" gap under the front bumper, less with worn tyres and less again with passengers and luggage!

Standard height UK pavement kerb stones are too tall!, some drives and speed bumps also pose a little bit of a problem at times!

Mark

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oh yes, I do have the odd clearance problem.

With the body kit, 18"s and the factory lowering spring option, I can just about muster a 4 1/2" gap under the front bumper, less with worn tyres and less again with passengers and luggage!

Standard height UK pavement kerb stones are too tall!, some drives and speed bumps also pose a little bit of a problem at times!

Mark

But a great looking car all the same  :wink: :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal