i30 Owners Club

glove box light

2i30s · 18 · 6937

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
does the i30 sx [base model in oz]have a glove box light.? my hatch doesnt :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i had another look to see if i have a glove box light and it seems the only way it does work is if the headlights are turned on,it doesn't make sense to me. :mad:

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
i had another look to see if i have a glove box light and it seems the only way it does work is if the headlights are turned on,it doesn't make sense to me. :mad:

Same on my Volvo C30 and previous Toyota Corolla T Sport  :lol:  So must be standard practice.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I think that is standard these days, why else would you need the glovebox light to come on other than when you have the other lights on to see?

You'll find the ashtray light is the same :razz:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
I think that is standard these days, why else would you need the glovebox light to come on other than when you have the other lights on to see?

for the passenger.
passenger needs to find something in glove box without turning on overhead lights that may distract driver

its obvious really - though car makers don't think so   :rolleyes:
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

for the passenger.
passenger needs to find something in glove box without turning on overhead lights that may distract driver

its obvious really - though car makers don't think so   :rolleyes:

Yes, but the passenger only needs a light for the glovebox when you would have the main lights (ie side or headlights) on also, no need for the light to be switched other than via the main light switch surely??

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
Yes, but the passenger only needs a light for the glovebox when you would have the main lights (ie side or headlights) on also, no need for the light to be switched other than via the main light switch surely??

mmmmm....
ive been in situations where i've been in a car at night as a passenger, have been looking for something in glovebox, and there is no light. have had to have overhead light turned on to get glovebox light, but it annoys driver, and possibly is a shiny big distracting beacon to everything else on the road. granted its not on long, but its still a relevent point i think.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

mmmmm....
ive been in situations where i've been in a car at night as a passenger, have been looking for something in glovebox, and there is no light. have had to have overhead light turned on to get glovebox light, but it annoys driver, and possibly is a shiny big distracting beacon to everything else on the road. granted its not on long, but its still a relevent point i think.

Therefore the i30 does the job correctly, you are the passenger, it is night, your chauffeur is taking you home, you need to get that last can of Red Bull out of the chiller to add to your final swig of voddy, you open the glovebox and the light comes on, illuminating your RB and not distracting the (wo)man in the peaked cap beside you from their task.

If you find the glovebox is dark then you need to tell the driver to put his lights on coz it's illegal to drive without 'em in the dark :lol: :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :eek: :lol:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly

Therefore the i30 does the job correctly, you are the passenger, it is night, your chauffeur is taking you home, you need to get that last can of Red Bull out of the chiller to add to your final swig of voddy, you open the glovebox and the light comes on, illuminating your RB and not distracting the (wo)man in the peaked cap beside you from their task.

If you find the glovebox is dark then you need to tell the driver to put his lights on coz it's illegal to drive without 'em in the dark :lol: :lol:

:lol:
well if the i30 does it correctly that's great. i thought the OP was saying the i30 didn't do it. as i haven't been a passenger in my own car i have no idea  :wink:
but i have been in other cars where there has been no glove box light (while yes the headlights have been on)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
try seeing in the glovebox when you come to get something out at night,you need to put the key in and put the lights on just to get something out of it.its a lot of messing about just to see what your looking for.   :rolleyes:

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
If the glovebox does not shut properly or the swith goes out of adjustment, the battery can go flat.  Dunno if thats the reason but a possible explanation?

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
try seeing in the glovebox when you come to get something out at night,you need to put the key in and put the lights on just to get something out of it.its a lot of messing about just to see what your looking for.   :rolleyes:

Surely you just need to put on the map light in the overhead console, unless you are looking for that paperclip that fell of your service invoice :P

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thats a good point Brian. :mrgreen:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Could be looking for gloves  :lol:

Or beer, my glove compart has a built in beer cooler I just noticed while looking for light  :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Or beer, my glove compart has a built in beer cooler I just noticed while looking for light  :rolleyes:

All those posting on the site and you only just found that out  :eek: :rolleyes:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

All those posting on the site and you only just found that out  :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are over things I've overlooked  :mrgreen:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
They don't call him Captain Slow for nothing you know :lol: :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal