i30 Owners Club

LED Number Plate and Interior Lights

DeeTee · 137 · 61905

Offline DeeTee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hey Guys,

Just got delivery of my 2018 Hyundai i30 SR Premium!! WOOOO!
But the interior and number plate halogen bulbs are a disappointing yellow (which is weird given the rest of the car has LED lights right!?).

I am in no way experienced with ANYTHING electrically or mechanically technical but am hoping to change the number plate light and interior lights to white LED lights. Given my gross incompetence at any of this stuff I was hoping for some advice :)

NUMBER PLATE LIGHTS
:link: *NEW* MEGA White LED Parking or Number Plate Lights for Hyundai i20 i30 i40 i45 | eBay

These seem to be plug and play -> have I made a prematurely bad purchase or am I right in thinking that its a simple swapout? Have I made the right bulb choice?

INTERIOR LIGHTS
:link: Upgrade Car Interior Set Led Super White Color (8pcs T10 5LED + 4pcs T10 Lens) | eBay

These also seem to just be a plug and play -> what do you guys think? Now, I have no idea what a canbus is - is that something I need to worry about when it comes to changing the interior lights to LED lights?
In terms of number of LEDs per light and type of LED, these are T10 5 LED 5630 SMD - does that sound appropriate?

Thanks so much for all and any advice!! And thanks for putting up with my ignorance!
  • 2018 i30 SR Premium

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Congratulations on the new SR Premium  :Drive:

LED T10 can be used to replace the W5W type bulbs that are fitted to many of the low-wattage lights in your car.  So, your linked examples seem to be right.

However, the interior lights (map, room, vanity, luggage) bulbs are mainly festoon type. Search ebay for "festoon led". 
You will need to measure the length of your current festoon bulbs to get the matching LEDs, typically 31mm or 36mm.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :iws:

36 will do the dome and boot, 31 will do the sun visors. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline DeeTee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
You guys are legends! Thanks for the super quick input! I really appreciate it :)

Found the type of lights that the i30 uses in the user's manual which I have attached for everyone's convenience.

I have decided on getting the following LEDs for the interior of the car:
:link: 4x Canbus Error Free 31mm 6 SMD Festoon 5630 LED Car Interior Dome Map Lights OZ | eBay
:link: 4 x 36mm 5630 9 SMD Canbus Festoon LED Car Interior Roof Dome Plate Lights 12V | eBay

REMAINING QUERIES
 - Anyone have any further info regarding the canbus and whether or not I need to start learning about it?
 - Anyone have info regarding brightness / number of LEDs required / type of LED? (I'm not looking to increase the brightness, just change the quality of the light)

- Do I need to disconnect the battery before doing this? (If so, how do I do that?)
 - How do I safely open the housings for the lightbulbs?

Once again please excuse my ignorance!! I'll put up a summary of all the info I learn from this experience so changing lightbulbs will be a simple process for the next person to do this undertaking :)

• 2018 i30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon: I like your attitude. Appreciative and considerate (you will fit in well).

I thought I was the only Legend around these parts. But I don't know much about swapping to LED globes... :-[ :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Canbus becomes important for high wattage such as exterior illumination but for cabin lighting your eBay cheap stuff (I've found 2 for $1) will do just fine. :goodjob:

As for opening lenses, it's always tense the first time but have patience and find the side and angle that works best for pulling it away from the lining. :victory:

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
There is no need to disconnect the battery.  Just ensure that the light is off while changing the bulb.  Since the back of the festoon bulbs have a large metal heat sink, there is a minor risk of shorting the socket's terminals while you're plugging them in; This is not an issue if the light is off.

Also, remember that the LEDs have polarity.  So, if you plug one in and it doesn't light up, try replugging it rotated 180 degrees.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline DeeTee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks Tia that's good to know! I could have totally seen myself installing them the wrong way and then spending hours trying to figure out what I'd done wrong! haha  :head_butt:

So with relation to removing the lens covers, I have found this in the owner's manual (see picture).

The rear passenger side lights (my car has a moon roof and therefore no central dome light) they say to get removed by an 'authorised Hyundai dealer' and don't provide any info on how to remove them! Can anyone think of why? Or have insight into how I could do this safely myself?

Long thread over something seemingly simple, I know! haha :P

• 2018 i30 SR Premium

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Good thread.

Used a 31mm festoon LED for interior, and T10 LEDs for map reading. I was bit ham fisted when changing my interior festoon and blew fuses twice as inserted LEDs with wrong polarity & then had to turn them 180.  :sweating:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline DeeTee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hey Crusty thanks!

Oooh blowing a fuse would be annoying! (the mrs is majorly paranoid about me voiding warranty and that would only fuel the fire!)

Any advice on knowing, before putting the LEDs in, which orientation is correct?

And still the query regarding the correct way to remove the rear passenger side light lens - insights?

Thanks team!!
  • 2018 i30 SR Premium

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
I'm sure  there is a way for determining polarity with Identiification on LED. Most of my LEDs have been from China so my Chinese is a little rusty. Thee are plenty of spare fuses in panel under driver dash, and they are easy to change if it does go wrong.

As others have said just make sure light is switched off first . It is quite easy to remove fuse using supplied fuse holder tool for interior lighting too, replace led & reinset fuse. Switch on & let there be light. If not repeat process. It won't damage The LED.

Don't do what I did as so excited about new LED I left in permanently switched on overnight  :whistler:

As for other query rear passenger light don't have one as just a standard PD SR no sunshine roof
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hey, @DeeTee are you still around?
Did you manage to remove the lenses safely?
I'm about to swap out my visor bulbs and don't want to cause any damage.

Offline Vitruvian

• 2nd Gear
Hi, can somebody tell me dimensions of interior festoons for i30 GD (2013)?
I want to replace them with LEDs.
So I would appreciate if I will not need risk to brake something twice

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I used these in my wife's 2014 GD Tourer.. I assume the hatch would be the same.

:link: 4pcs Canbus 31mm Festoon LED Car Interior Dome Map Light Bulb Number Plate Globe | eBay
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Vitruvian

• 2nd Gear

I used these in my wife's 2014 GD Tourer.. I assume the hatch would be the same.

:link: 4pcs Canbus 31mm Festoon LED Car Interior Dome Map Light Bulb Number Plate Globe | eBay
Thanks, are they all 31mm? Dome map, sunvisor mirrors, glove box and trunk?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Thanks, are they all 31mm? Dome map, sunvisor mirrors, glove box and trunk?

I don't have the sun visor mirror lights so I'm not sure about that one but the rest of the interior lights and trunk are 31mm except for the glove box which is T10.

All bulbs should be listed in your owners manual for reference prior to purchasing.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 17:43:36 by CraigB »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I unscrewed the upper console (having done it a few times to install the reversing camera mirror and dashcam) and note that the map light bulbs are not festoon type. I guess that makes them T10. Is that right? They go in with a half turn of their bases. Should I be looking for the LED on the bulb only or with base included?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I unscrewed the upper console (having done it a few times to install the reversing camera mirror and dashcam) and note that the map light bulbs are not festoon type. I guess that makes them T10. Is that right? They go in with a half turn of their bases. Should I be looking for the LED on the bulb only or with base included?
@The Gonz  T10 are the same base as these Gonz :link: 4X WHITE T10 7020 SMD 10 LED W5W WEDGE TAIL SIDE CAR LIGHTS TURN PARKER BULB | eBay they are one piece so don't pull em apart :eek: the socket they connect to can sometimes need twisting to remove like with park lights but the bulb itself will just pull straight out.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:29:00 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The standard T10 (W5W) bulb would be the same as pictured

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Thanks, @CraigB . I'm just not confident that I can spot the 'twist lock' shape in the rim of the LEDs pictured on eBay. I might dive back into the ceiling to look at the originals closely again. :confused:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks, @CraigB . I'm just not confident that I can spot the 'twist lock' shape in the rim of the LEDs pictured on eBay. I might dive back into the ceiling to look at the originals closely again. :confused:
Can you take a photo for us to study Gonz? those ebay T10's I posted don't twist, they're exactly the same fitment as the later halogen bulb I pictured which just pull straight out.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
So here's what I found once I hit on using the term 'T10 twist lock':
:link: 10x Twist Lock T10 168 192 194 Wedge Instrument Panel Dash Light Base Socket YX 648256794191 | eBay
which, if they are the correct part, allow me to select from the wide range of T10 LEDs, such as:
:link: 2pcs T10 194 168 2825 5-5050 SMD LED White Super BrUJht Car Lights Lamp Bulb UJ 841983562181 | eBay
or:
:link: 4 pcs T10 194 W5W 1 LED Pure White Dome Instrument Car Bulb Lamp Chic Gift gY | eBay
or the ones you suggested, but that should mean any of these LEDs should plug into the original twist lock sockets, right? :D

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I see now what you mean, yes all the T10's mentioned will plug into those like normal, they're just a removable base which I've not seen used in Hyundai before.

You'll find those 7020 bulbs I listed far superior in brightness :goodjob2: I've got the same with festoons installed and I've just order another set of them T10's too :)

Offline cazlar

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
I put some T10s in successfully recently, really liked them. Then later, when it came to the festoons, all was good initially on the centre light but I think I pushed my luck on doing the vanity lights too (even though I never use them) and managed to blow a fuse.

As far as I can tell, while the fuse panel has a number of "SPARE" slots, none of them include the 7.5A fuse for the lights? Or was I just blind?

Unfortunately, despite driving around to Supercheap Auto/Autobarn, it seems to still be a bit difficult to find Micro2 blade 7.5A fuses in Sydney? I've ended up having to order some from eBay and so am without interior lights for a week or so (oops...)

Also, I thought it interesting that it seems the wireless Qi charger is on the same circuit as the interior lights, as that is currently out too (unless I managed to short something else in the process of pulling the fuse)
  • 2018 i30 SR PD

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
@cazlar so T10 is the one to go for the 2 lights on the roof?  Can you send me the link, I tried to look above yet with so many links it is confusing.

I got a PD2 and I am thinking of LED the roof light so it not yellow anymore when i open the door :)
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline cazlar

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
The one I ended up with for the T10 was this one: :link: 4Pcs 5630 LED SMD Interior Light T10 W5W Reading Lamp CanBus Error Free MA1308 4894663104788 | eBay

May be able to get a touch cheaper from other ebay stores but my earlier order from HK never arrived so I went with one with local stock to get quicker.

That's for the double-light in between driver and passenger in my car without sunroof.

I don't think you have the light behind it that I also have (i.e. centre light between the 2 rows) due to your sunroof. That one is the festoon shaped bulb.
  • 2018 i30 SR PD

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
The one I ended up with for the T10 was this one: :link: 4Pcs 5630 LED SMD Interior Light T10 W5W Reading Lamp CanBus Error Free MA1308 4894663104788 | eBay

May be able to get a touch cheaper from other ebay stores but my earlier order from HK never arrived so I went with one with local stock to get quicker.

That's for the double-light in between driver and passenger in my car without sunroof.

I don't think you have the light behind it that I also have (i.e. centre light between the 2 rows) due to your sunroof. That one is the festoon shaped bulb.

I would like to do the LED conversion as well, so thanks for that link.
Do you find they are bright enough ?
I was unsure whether there was a festoon in there or a T10.
Did you have any problem removing the lens on the map light, I had a bit of a tug the on it the other day but chickened out when it didn't want to let go. :scared:
  • 2018 PD2 i30 Elite 2.0 white

Offline cazlar

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
You may be able to get brighter LEDs but yeah those were bright enough.

For removing, you want a small screwdriver and be slow/gentle but also firm when needed - they don't just pop out super easily.

The book kind of shows doing it from the door side away from where it pivots - I tried to do first one like that but I'd say maybe better to do from the "back of the car" side (one tab where it pivots, one on the part that moves). If that makes sense...
  • 2018 i30 SR PD

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Gotcha, I'll order the lamps tonight and have another go., Thanks.
  • 2018 PD2 i30 Elite 2.0 white

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yeah I'll order them tonight as well :D
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal