i30 Owners Club

2017 i30sr starting problem

Liisa · 322 · 99495

Offline rjl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi guys.

Does anybody else have any updates in regards to there cars? Has anybody tried taking there car back to there dealer again? Since hyundai has now officially instructed there dealers  to send through data about the fault? Just got word that my local dealer is currently trying to send data back to hyundai . They've been
trying to replicate and log the issue for the past week, I saw 2 i30 Sr left by their owners  in order to get data.
  • 2018 PD2 Hyundai I30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi guys.

Does anybody else have any updates in regards to there cars? Has anybody tried taking there car back to there dealer again? Since hyundai has now officially instructed there dealers  to send through data about the fault? Just got word that my local dealer is currently trying to send data back to hyundai . They've been
trying to replicate and log the issue for the past week, I saw 2 i30 Sr left by their owners  in order to get data.

Definitely acknowledging the problem now and starting to do the right thing by the sound of it. Shame they were so slow in their initial responses.  Not handled very well at all.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rjl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
If I may ask Dazzler are you having the same issue with your SR?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If I may ask Dazzler are you having the same issue with your SR?

That's fine. No mine has been great apart from a couple of blind spot monitoring issues. I just get cranky because, as cofounder of this site and an owner of 4 different i30's in 4 years, I am a big Hyundai and i30 fan.

The way this situation has been handled gives fuel to the Hyundai haters who have just started to eat humble pie.

The i30 came out the blocks very strongly in 2007/8 and in a lot of ways the latest PD version is the best ever, but a few annoying intermittent faults are undermining confidence in the model/brand. Still miles ahead of VW and Ford amongst others though. :cool:

Offline rjl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I got both the not starting and cranking issue unfortunately on the PD2. Hopefully hyundai does find a fix for it soon.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I got both the not starting and cranking issue unfortunately on the PD2. Hopefully hyundai does find a fix for it soon.

Sorry to hear that. Interesting that a PD 2 has been affected too!

Offline becstarz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      vic
Hey all first time poster here. Just wondering if there has been any update to this issue. I’ve had this same problem since the first couple of days of ownership back in Feb this year.
  • 2017 i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Ok brief update:

D-logger fitted 23/7.... the technician has replicated the fault... but before the d logger had been fitted so they are still none the wiser.

Car returned to me 24/7 with d logger ready to go.

Recorded 3 instances on 25/7

26/7 returned to dealer to upload data for Hyundai

The d logger will stay in the car for a few more days to record further instances

All instances also recorded on video

** owners with this starting fault or other faults really need to keep on at the dealers, involve media and do whatever you constructively can to get the issues fixed.**
  • Formerly a 2018 PD2 SR DCT, White (Lemon)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok brief update:

D-logger fitted 23/7.... the technician has replicated the fault... but before the d logger had been fitted so they are still none the wiser.

Car returned to me 24/7 with d logger ready to go.

Recorded 3 instances on 25/7

26/7 returned to dealer to upload data for Hyundai

The d logger will stay in the car for a few more days to record further instances

All instances also recorded on video

** owners with this starting fault or other faults really need to keep on at the dealers, involve media and do whatever you constructively can to get the issues fixed.**

Well said. I think that is the key. They are still taking this too lightly in my honest opinion. A great car, but they need to fix this before it turns the i30 into another Camira!  :crazy1:

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hey all first time poster here. Just wondering if there has been any update to this issue. I’ve had this same problem since the first couple of days of ownership back in Feb this year.

I think the latest response to the starting issue is the d-logger.

Personally, I video every time I think the issue will occur ( ie c50 mins after it’s been turned off), I document times and dates.

You just really need to hound the dealer and Hyundai and anybody else that might be an influential help..... the more constructive noise we make the more likely something might get done

Offline becstarz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      vic
Thanks for the feedback! I’m constantly hounding my dealer. They have been good, although their only options have been leave car there indefinitely until it faults for them and take video footage. (Which I have been).

You would think with all the trouble their competitor got into with the ACCC, Hyundai would actually do something about this to not end up like them or to tarnish their brand and name.
  • 2017 i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
UPDATE 30/7:

Following on from the d-logger data going back to Alto and then to Hyundai last week, the Hyundai Technical team believe the issue is faulty fuel injectors.

As with many things Hyundai, these need to be imported from South Korea...and so we now wait for the injectors to arrive.

The dealer wants the d-logger to remain attached for now and for a period once the new injectors have been fitted.

So for those of you out there with the same issue, it might be worth going back to your dealers with this information.

Offline Intergalacticwolf

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
UPDATE 30/7:

Following on from the d-logger data going back to Alto and then to Hyundai last week, the Hyundai Technical team believe the issue is faulty fuel injectors.

As with many things Hyundai, these need to be imported from South Korea...and so we now wait for the injectors to arrive.

The dealer wants the d-logger to remain attached for now and for a period once the new injectors have been fitted.

So for those of you out there with the same issue, it might be worth going back to your dealers with this information.

Thank for that update Beardy. I'm bringing mine in for a service this Friday so I'll definitely bring this up to them. Hope this is one step closer to solving the issue.
  • 2017 PD i30 SR DCT

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers for that Beardyboy.  Wonder why only some are doing it?  :undecided:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Same, Same?  :undecided:

Does the Volester use the same injectors?  :undecided: @tw2005

This started one of my ticks again so I watched the start videos. They either show a motor struggling to get enough revs, but no one cylinder seems to be miss firing.
 Or, no start because no cylinder fires.

:whistler: This would mean that all injectors fail simultaneously ? ...  :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 00:32:59 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline becstarz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      vic
Thanks for the update!
I took my car for its 10,000km service on sat and told them about the injectors, they claimed they checked them and all came back fine.
They want me to now leave my car there indefinitely to be hooked up to the diagnostics machine again and their service manager will drive my car to work and home.

I will suggest to them that they put the machine on and give me back my car to drive since they can never get the thing to fault.
  • 2017 i30 PD SR Premium

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for the update!
I took my car for its 10,000km service on sat and told them about the injectors, they claimed they checked them and all came back fine.
They want me to now leave my car there indefinitely to be hooked up to the diagnostics machine again and their service manager will drive my car to work and home.

I will suggest to them that they put the machine on and give me back my car to drive since they can never get the thing to fault.

Do they give you a bus pass while they dick with your car?  :whistler:
Your suggestion is more reasonable, or better still, that give you a new car and Hyundai takes yours to their laboratory.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Same, Same?  :undecided:

Does the Volester use the same injectors?  :undecided: @tw2005

This started one of my ticks again so I watched the start videos. They either show a motor struggling to get enough revs, but no one cylinder seems to be miss firing.
 Or, no start because no cylinder fires.

:whistler: This would mean that all injectors fail simultaneously ? ...  :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty:
Unlikely I can research it being so new the catalogs I use are not up to date like a dealer. I would think if injectors it's a QC / batch issue.  Hard to believe if they were then surely it would appear whilst driving too at some point
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
UPDATE 30/7:

@Beardyboy

I have already expressed some scepticism about the injector theory. But remember the 'temporary fix'?

"Press the start button twice without pressing the brake to turn the ignition on - until the dash lights up - allow the fuel pump to prime, then start the car" (Dealer Employee 2018).

That cant be fixing four injectors that have failed.  :crazy2:

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Actually on the press the start button twice temporary fix I have replicated and recorded the warm start issue several times.
I share your scepticism and have responded to the dealer asking whether the Hyundai Tech team also considered the TPS (throttle position sensor) or the engine idle air control valve? or any potential software issues related to ignition sequence and heat?

When the warm start issue occurs the following factors appear to be true:

1) The engine temperature is at roughly half way to normal running temperature, so a 1/4 way on the dial.
2) When the car turns, the rpms limps from 250rpm to, but not beyond, c500rpm, then stays at c500rpm...engine light and immobiliser lights remain on.
3) The engine light and Immobiliser lights go out when manually revved and the car settles back to 750rpm.

Ive also told them Im not convinced that the d-logger,  that it is plugged into the 12v system (which turns off then back on during the ignition process),  can pick up the whole ignition sequence therefore losing the first few seconds of possible recording that would see the the car limp into "life".

If the injector replacement is nothing more then a temporary fix then I expect the issue will reappear quickly after replacement.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Providing you with a new car and  taking yours to their laboratory would be what a company which had pride in their product would do.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Providing you with a new car and  taking yours to their laboratory would be what a company which had pride in their product would do.

Nice idea Paolo, but there are a couple of problems with that...

(a) They would then be expected to do that with all the affected cars (possibly 100's)  :Shocked:

(b) The "new" car may very well end up having the same problem!  :crazy1:

@Beardyboy

More great info and good summary of the issue. Thanks. Hopefully the diagnostic team are monitoring this thread for ideas to help solve this frustrating issue!  :cool:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Dazzler,

I agree with what you have said....but at some point they will have to 'bite the bullet' and be responsible.

I see it as a fabulous opportunity for Hy to not only diagnose the fault with this test subject (and restore Becstarz' faith (and mine) in the brand) but also to come up with a 'cure' for the other examples that suffer the same affliction and a prevention for future vehicles.

Otherwise...how are they ever going to get to the bottom of it?...they will just keep replicating the same problem on the production line.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dazzler,

I agree with what you have said....but at some point they will have to 'bite the bullet' and be responsible.

I see it as a fabulous opportunity for Hy to not only diagnose the fault with this test subject (and restore Becstarz' faith (and mine) in the brand) but also to come up with a 'cure' for the other examples that suffer the same affliction and a prevention for future vehicles.

Otherwise...how are they ever going to get to the bottom of it?...they will just keep replicating the same problem on the production line.

I agree, they need to pull all stops out to fix this but who do they decide is entitled to a new car (it would set a dangerous precedent for them) and as I have said, until they know what is causing the problem the replacement car could end up having the same issue.  :crazy2: :crazy2:

They do appear to be "borrowing" a few faulty customer cars around the country to try and diagnose the issue. My biggest issue with this is the time taken to acknowledge and react to the problem in the 1st place!

The issue 1st surfaced more than 6 months ago and because of their initial tardy reaction it does not appear to be any closer to being diagnosed and fixed. :disapp:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Im with Paolo here. Dazz, so what if the replacement car is also faulty?  They need a known failed car to work on permanently.
The more dangerous precedent may be down the track when the brand's reputation is irreparably tarnished.

It has been pointed out to Hyundai that the d-logger shuts down during ignition.   Yet they continue to play the obstructionist rather than the constructivist.  :crazy1:

It is highly unlikely that any dealership has a technician capable of even collecting the data professionally, let alone analysing the fault. Given the decision by the so called technical team to replace injectors, I suggest that the talent is not there either.
 Someone at the top has to lose-face and admit defeat; then bring in the Koreans.

Offline rjl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi Guys

I just want to give an update from my end to. I've been speaking to a few hyundai dealerships who are familar with the issue. They seem a little unsure about the fuel injector issue. They told me they have already sent there d-logger data back to hyundai but they have not heard back from the hyundai technical team. Which surprised them, when I said hyundai technical team already got back to alto. and concluded the issue could be the fuel injectors.

Offline rjl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi guys

I was just made aware that Hyundai seem to have found the issue of the start/cranking issues for the i30 PD.
I was told there are about 15+ cars that Hyundai is aware of that have the issue. They are apparently creating a software fix for it. Similar to the issue the previous GD,
models faced which also had issues starting/cranking but during a cold start,  which was eventually fixed via software update.
I do hope the update comes soon as this, left abit of a sour taste to the new car experience  :neutral:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks @rjl . Be nice if a bit of "compo" was offered, even if just a free service.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi guys

I was just made aware that Hyundai seem to have found the issue of the start/cranking issues for the i30 PD.
I was told there are about 15+ cars that Hyundai is aware of that have the issue. They are apparently creating a software fix for it. Similar to the issue the previous GD,
models faced which also had issues starting/cranking but during a cold start,  which was eventually fixed via software update.
I do hope the update comes soon as this, left abit of a sour taste to t :crazy2:he new car experience  :neutral:

Wow! I'll be surprised if the fix is indeed that easy (hopefully it is though) :cool:

The other surprise is only 15 cars affected. I reckon we've had nearly 15 members on either here or our Facebook page report the issue and I'm sure that not all or even a high percentage would have joined either site.

The other question I have related to a software fix is why only some cars (surely they all run the same software)  :crazy1:

Thanks @rjl . Be nice if a bit of "compo" was offered, even if just a free service.

Yes, very true. Hope they do something like this without having to be pushed.  :undecided:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi guys

I do hope the update comes soon as this, left abit of a sour taste to the new car experience  :neutral:
Now that is making sense, and more plausible, it's been  smelling of a software glitch for a while, I'd expect another service campaign unless they're want to keep it on the quiet as they roll through the service bays.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal