Low Tyre Pressure Warning

AlanHo · 7 · 10777

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My wife had a  low tyre pressure warning today on our Niro - she left the motorway and parked up to phone me.  There were two icons illuminated in the instrument cluster and I got her to send me a photo.

One was clearly the Tyre pressure warning light - the other the orange general error triangle with the exclamtion mark inside it.

I explained how she could get a display of the 4 pressures and she said that all tyres were at 34 psi except the rear offside tyre which was showing 33 psi.

She was only 5 miles away so I told her to drive home - but not on the motorway.

I manually checked all the pressures and my gauge showed exactly the same readings - so I inflated all wheels to 35 psi and took the car for a 5 mile spin. THe instrumant display confirmed all wheels were at 35 psi but the warning indicator for the rear offside tyre remained flashing.

Both the symbols remain illuminated and refuse to go away. The handbook says that the yellow triangle displays for several faults including cruise control, lane departure etc but does not mention tyre pressure errors.  Hence I am not sure whether there is another fault or not. My rather basic OBD2 reader does not show any faults.

Unfortunately my KIA dealer is on lockdown so I have to wait a while to get them to have a look. The KIA forum has posts with the same problem - but none have reported back with their outcome other than a couple who claim it was due to sudden temperature changes with the weather (which incidentally has happened this week)
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Why not try the disconnect battery for 30 minutes trick Alan I am reasonably confident that will do the trick. If I'm wrong, you have my permission to call me an oversexed geriatric teenager (like most others do)  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'd inflate to 38 psi and see how the sensors react.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I'd inflate to 38 psi and see how the sensors react.

Done but not dusted - made no difference.

Car is currently sitting the with the 12v battery earth cable disconnected. If it ever stops raining I will reconnect it and report back. The motorbike sized battery sits behind the side wall lining of the  the boot. Later versions of the Niro have the 12v icluded with the Hybrid battery under the back seat. I've no idea how you would disconnect it.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Now reconnected the battery - but it didn't reset the low pressure tyre display. All the tyres display a pressure of 37 psi - but the rear offside wheel was still flashing. However a further 5 mile spin produced a result and both fault indicators vanished as soon as I hit 60 mph.

You're a star Dazz.... :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

Free Tip
Don't close the boot after disconnecting the battery - the rear hatch will not open and you have drop the rear seat back and crawl into the car to access the manual release.

Second Tip
Take a screwdriver with you to insert in the release slot - otherwise you have to crawl back out again to get one.

Third tip
Phoning the missus and asking her to fetch a screwdiver won't cut the mustard if it is pouring with rain - she aint getting wet for nobody after just doing her tresses.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 15:35:27 by AlanHo »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :mrgreen: :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
On the FD the LTPW is a two-stage system.
Stage One is when my son the mechanic tells me he can see steel belt protruding from my rear tyres. :lol:
Stage Two is when one of them develops a slow leak. :confused:

I was in Canberra on a day trip on a Monday having discovered the leak on a Saturday night.
While in Canberra, I googled, emailed and messaged a few tyre places close to home for a Tuesday morning booking. :phone1:
I had my own two tyres curing in the shed for the past couple of years so just needed to get them on.
Most came back with a price of $35 per tyre (remove, balance, fit, dispose).

I persisted.

One close to home came back with $20.
I jumped at it and the very friendly father & son team from Afghanistan (had me wondering whether they might have been Kiwi for a moment) did a great quick job and deserve an endorsement:

AutoSport TyreWorld Allenby Gardens SA  :victory:
Thank you, guys, may your quality and price bring you good fortune. :drinks:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal