GD near side rear handbrake function

eye30 · 8 · 1962

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The last week or so when I start moving off after the handbrake has been on for sometime, overnight or few hours, Not when stopped at traffic lights or junctions waiting, I get a slight jerk similar to when the pads stick to the disc.

Only happening on nearside as not felt same on offside.

Today I jacked the rear up and spun each rear wheel.

With handbrake off the off side spins freely save for a very slight catching noise.

However, the nearside didn't spin as freely.

Took the wheels off.
Looking at the brake cable and lever mechanism the offside mechanism is 'clean' but the nearside is 'brownish' and looks rusty.

I didn't remove the piston or take the pads off.

Found the nearside handbrake lever mechanism was stiff when trying to move and movement not as good as otherside.

I've clean the dust off and muck off the rear and manipulate the lever so it moves more freely.

Being the GD I understand the handbrake is integrated into the brake piston not like the FD which has a separate set of pads within the disc.

So my questions are:

What can I use to lubicate the lever pivot point on the rear of the brake unit (I don't want to contaminate the disc or pads and are not near to pivot point).
Would a squirt of wd40 be ok?

Do I need to take the piston unit off to do any futher cleaning, pads are allowing the disc to turn freely when footbrake press on/off.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
If you search for sheff30, he had a forum post which links to a Youtube video of him stripping down a GD brake caliper because of the problem you described. If the shaft that is rotated by the handbrake becomes corroded so that it sticks in the caliper body, I don't think there's much you can do about it other than fit a new or reconditioned caliper. I don't know if you can clean up the shaft so it rotates freely without running the risk of it leaking. There is an inner seal to stop hydraulic fluid leaking around the shaft, so if you spray lubricant in from the outside it shouldn't penetrate as far as where the hydraulic fluid is. A silicone lubricant may be better.
  • i30 CRD

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Cheers for feedback.

I did watch a yt, may be same you mention but will look again, before I looked today.

Seemed alot better tonight but the test will be tomorrow when I first go out as it will have been sat for some 16 hours, assuming no one has syphoned my petrol, hahaha.

I'll see how it goes before I do as suggested.

As an aside.
Looking at the pads and recent service saying pads 50% worn on both sides, they look same thickness so no obvious premature wear on nearside.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Update.

Watched the vid mentioned but hopefully I can get away with having to replace the caliper.

Been a lot better but just occasionally I still get the slight jerk when moving off after it has been parked overnight, but nothing like previous.

Today I was rechecked the handbrake cable movement at the caliper as I had a friend operate the handbrake while I watched the cable/lever.

The lever did move but noticed the fitting link to the lever was static.

Cleaned and got it to move freely.

Seems a better movement when I spin the wheel/brake disc but starting off tomorrow will be the test.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I posted a video showing how to check if the handbrake is moving freely

:link: Hyundai i30 GD manual handbrake check - YouTube

Whatever lubricant you use has to compatible with rubber and brake fluid. Red rubber grease, not copper grease. It's also worth checking the glide pins that the caliper is mounted on. If they've rusted up it can make the caliper bind so the pads can't back off away from the disc.
  • i30 CRD

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Since freeing the cable by cleaning etc I have had good movement and no jerking at start off.

But the last few days when I move off and travel say 20 or so metres I hear a dull thud from the rear nearside.

Just happens the once until next time it has been left overnight.

I've jacked the wheel up and it runs freely, alot better than before I cleaned linkage etc plus as I move a distace before the noise I'm fairly happy it isn't the brake pads binding to the disc.

Spun and wriggled to hub to check the bearings and spins ok and no noise.

Visually checked spring and no obvious cracks and height same as offside.

Shock is stiff when I try and bounce the corner.

Nuts and bolts are all tight.

Had MOT in July and no mention of any issues.

Has anyone had similar or any suggestions as to what else I can check.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal