i30 Owners Club

Oh dear, bought a used i30 with hangkooks on the back...NOISE

myjess · 6 · 2400

Offline myjess

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Yeh, I know you all know this already, but I was not prepared for the racket from road noise, even my old Chevy Aveo didn't have a much road noise.
I will read the threads to see what others have done, but are contis just a short way of saying continentals?

Thanks.

• i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi myjess

:wttc:

The 1. generation i30 (FD) 2007-2012 is known for over-average road noise, unfortunately. The GD 2012-2017 is better, but ...

Yes, Conti is short for Continental. The conti's are not the most quiet tires so if you go for new tires the have a look at the EU markings and buy a known brand rated below 70 db.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My Hankooks are noisey as well but only on the course bitumen, Michelin do some of the quieter tyres from the researching I've done though they're a bit more pricey

Offline myjess

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I just got the car, and they specially put a hangkook on it for me yesrerday cos it was a better tyre than the on on it, so tonight I ho and check pressures. The tyre they put on was 43 psi cold., and the other three were 36-38. Label in door says 32 all round so that is what I have dropped them all to.
Thank for your replies.
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome  myjess, 32 psi is recommended minimum, 95% of members would agree with me that it is too low for everyday use. 36psi is probably the most popular pressure on here and makes a good compromise between wear, ride, handling and fuel economy.  Without getting too technical, 32psi all the time, would have a slighly adverse effect on fuel economy, tyre wear and handling. Some run closer to 40psi, which while great for economy and handling, can make the ride a bit firm.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I just got the car, and they specially put a hangkook on it for me yesrerday cos it was a better tyre than the on on it, so tonight I ho and check pressures. The tyre they put on was 43 psi cold., and the other three were 36-38. Label in door says 32 all round so that is what I have dropped them all to.
Thank for your replies.

Most will suggest going up to 36psi, I've always gone up in pressure from the OEM placard.

Also tyre noise can also be from tyre with abnormal wear like scalloping. I had a howler in the left rear. Actually thought it was bearing because of the high mileage. Moved to the front and noise went to the front. Also with the wheel off, I notice the inner edge was chopped up real bad.

Replaced the shocks, new tyres and long forgotten. They were Yokohame AE01 and are not a cheap tyre so can happen to any brand.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal