i30 Owners Club

FD Auto -No manual select gear 1 or 2

tw2005 · 9 · 2641

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
FD Auto -No manual select gear 1 or 2.

I had an interesting situation yesterday with my CRDi FD i30CW auto. Whilst doing a trans flush and manual selecting the gear ranges I could not go to 2 or 1. Shifter stopped at 3.

Gearbox runs flawlessly other wise and only done about 41000k.

Disconnecting the linkage, at the box, same deal stopped prematurely, cabling is fine and no hint of resistance in motion . just a hard stop but then I felt around thinking obstruction.

On the selector arm there is a counter weight hanging below. Nearby there is a lifting bracket.

I had just lifted this unit from a wreck and fitted it to my car and finishing it off. The weight and action of this had moved / bent the bracket now placing it in the path of the counter weight.

Removal or straightening the bracket rectified the issue.

I have it from another well known and very reliable source  that a certain idiot known to us all  had an  encounter with the bracket after two weeks driving!

Also I noted.

Fluid out of the box was like chocolate.
 I've never liked the suggested service intervals on some of these autos. This uses Mitsubishi specced fluids and is engineered based on the F4A series. I recall with my Magna roughly 90 -100000k for replacement or half that for severe driving.

Looking at the i30 guide, suggests replace at 100000k for severe or inspect every 60000k replace as needed.

I suspect 40000k in about 6 years is a lot of stop start traffic.

I'll be changing it a lot sooner than they say and hopefully minimise some of the wear issues .
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
They all do that now, because if they schedule an auto service anywhere near the start of the cars life the 'cost of ownership' figures look expensive next to other cars. The transmission is unlikley to go in the first 5 years and a fair percentage of new buyers move them on by then. They are not really fussed about the next owner.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well said beerman!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Nicely diagnosed & rectified :goodjob:

Guess you could have afforded to 'lose' the lifting bracket rather than bend it? Or have you more plans for this bloc...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
I can only imagine what a typical dealer's garage would have found out about that gear selection problem. Probably replacing the cables without noticing the real cause, and then suggesting the whole transmission to be replaced at cost of ~10k...  :whistler:
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Nicely diagnosed & rectified :goodjob:

Guess you could have afforded to 'lose' the lifting bracket rather than bend it? Or have you more plans for this bloc...
You're correct, I thought of hat but quickly swapped over the bracket from the old unit which is actually the photo with the bent bracket in place but partially straightened. I think it was a combination of bending and also it will rotate slightly.

I prefer to keep it as original as possible

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I can only imagine what a typical dealer's garage would have found out about that gear selection problem. Probably replacing the cables without noticing the real cause, and then suggesting the whole transmission to be replaced at cost of ~10k...  :whistler:
maybe if you told them absolutely no historic info

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Tested no fault found..... :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I have it from another well known and very reliable source  that a certain idiot known to us all  had an  encounter with the bracket after two weeks driving!

How dare you call me a " reliable certain idiot"   :wacko: ????
  :disapp: I'll see you all in Court, don't you worry about that!

:D

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal