i30 Owners Club

Scuff Plates - better late than never

CraigB · 63 · 17084

Offline Jeff70

• 2nd Gear

• Launceston
There's also a very good reason I DIDN'T option the sun roof.
  • i30 SR 2017

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

That one is a LOT easier to justify...

$2000, risk of shattering, risk of leaking when gets older, ongoing cleaning of channels and possible maintenance issues.. Reduced headroom in some models, Possible extra weight (not sure if it's heavier than a steel panel though) :undecided:

Have you got another reason?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I can understand how a sunroof would add weight as you have the glass - framework and drainage system, though 0.6mm pressed stainless steel sheeting is no heavier than the plastic scuff guards that were removed.

The packaged weight including the tube the guards were posted inside of came to 600 grams, and I would think 400 of that was the cardboard tube :)

Offline Jeff70

• 2nd Gear

• Launceston
I've always been a "weight-weenie" though.
I'm the same with my road bike....super light (and expensive).

Yeah,the sun roof MUST add extra weight,right where you don't want it.

But don't worry..I'm not going to break out the drill and make everything look like swiss cheeze........yet :)
  • i30 SR 2017

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's it, I'm deciding to mount the LED bars on the underside of my nudge bar, to keep CoG as low as I can get it.  :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's it, I'm deciding to mount the LED bars on the underside of my nudge bar, to keep CoG as low as I can get it.  :lol:

And try and get some Aluminium or Titanium screws!!!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Found a couple of different styles for you guys/gals with the PD models

:link: i30 PD : [DXSOAUTO] Hyundai i30 PD - AL Hairline Slim Fit Door Sill Scuff Plates Set

:link: i30 PD : [DXSOAUTO] Hyundai i30 PD? - The Standard AL Door Sill Scuff Plates Set
Thanks Craig.  Not sure I like either of those. Hopefully the earlier model ones I've ordered will fit.  :undecided:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

And try and get some Aluminium or Titanium screws!!!!
Surely Gonz has got some contacts in his industry.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Pappy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney

:link: i30 PD : [DXSOAUTO] Hyundai i30 PD - AL Hairline Slim Fit Door Sill Scuff Plates Set

:link: i30 PD : [DXSOAUTO] Hyundai i30 PD? - The Standard AL Door Sill Scuff Plates Set
Thanks Craig.  Not sure I like either of those. Hopefully the earlier model ones I've ordered will fit.  :undecided:

Hi Dazz, just checking if you got your scuff plates and if they fitted OK?
I'm looking at getting some cheaper ones too.
  • MY18 PD SR Premium (Polar White)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dazz, just checking if you got your scuff plates and if they fitted OK?
I'm looking at getting some cheaper ones too.

My wife says a long parcel has arrived but I'm in Western Australia until Saturday. Won't actually get a chance to check them out until at least Monday when I collect my car from the body repairers.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
I received mine last Thursday.  Due to work I hadn't had a chance to look at them till yesterday.
They do look OK, but don't fit perfectly.  The slight curve of the sill in the PD must be different.
So a little bit of bending & even supplying your own double sided tape will be required.
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I received mine last Thursday.  Due to work I hadn't had a chance to look at them till yesterday.
They do look OK, but don't fit perfectly.  The slight curve of the sill in the PD must be different.
So a little bit of bending & even supplying your own double sided tape will be required.

Did they eventually sit ok , or have you only done a trial fit?

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA

I have only done a trial fit at this stage.   The plates have a turn down curve piece at the ends
That make them not fit flush with the sill.  They can be made to fit though.
but not a direct stick on

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have only done a trial fit at this stage.   The plates have a turn down curve piece at the ends

Thanks, I'll check them out when i get home. Could I grind a tiny bit off the ends?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Are those one's designed to replace the factory plastic scuff plates or mount directly over the top :undecided: I originally thought mine were to mount over top but realised later the plastic one's had to be removed...the plastic ones broke to pieces removing them so luckily I had no need to keep em.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Could I grind a tiny bit off the ends?
They're very thin Dazz, if I were to trim them I'd probably use a pair of good quality tin snips, if you hit them with a grinder they'll discolour very easily.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Could I grind a tiny bit off the ends?
They're very thin Dazz, if I were to trim them I'd probably use a pair of good quality tin snips, if you hit them with a grinder they'll discolour very easily.

Fairy nuff.. I'm fairly good at modifying stuff... :goodjob:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
To me, they look like they are designed to go over the plastic.
But that can't happen with these as they are quite a bit narrower.
They don't look to bad. But one day I might end up buying ones that
are made for the PD.  If you look at Craig's 1st post. Those a wider.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 18:40:21 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm fairly good at modifying stuff... :goodjob:
That brought back memories...last guy who said that to me spent the next 15 months with his hand in traction after borrowing my 9" grinder to cut a wall register, grinder torque kicked on him and went straight through his wrist :eek: I did warn him about the kick :disapp: the same guy now owns the company my brother contracts to and always reminds him of the day he borrowed my grinder after telling me he was experienced :rolleyes:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
To me, they look like they are designed to go over the plastic.
But that can't happen with these as they are quite a bit narrower.
They don't look to bad. But one day I might end up buying ones that
are made for the PD.  If you look at Craig's 1st post. Those a wider.

Yeah they're to long and narrow, pack em up and put them in the forums for sale section for a GD model, Dazz can at least put his one's on the wife's car :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 18:42:23 by CraigB »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think they look ok. Trish said she doesn't want hers swapped.  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Tried to swap mine today. They are different to the ones PurpleH got. Mone have a little black rubber or plastic seal around the edge which make bending them trickier. I aborted the swap but may try again sometime with a bead of silicon rather than tape.  :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They're quite narrow aren't they, they would need to line up with the outer sill edge edge to provide adequate protection and then they might not cover the clip holes in the sill.

Dazz, I'd send em back for a refund myself, being that narrow they are not really fit for purpose imo :disapp:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Tried to swap mine today. They are different to the ones PurpleH got. Mone have a little black rubber or plastic seal around the edge which make bending them trickier. I aborted the swap but may try again sometime with a bead of silicon rather than tape.  :goodjob:

Nope. That is exactly the ones that I have got as well.  They look to me to go over the plastic rather than just on the bare metal.
I used some pliers to bend the ends straight. Then bend by hand to suit the contour of the sill..
I used some strong 3M double sided tape that I replaced the stuff that is on there now..

But I will look into getting the proper fit ones that suit in the future though..   They don't look that bad,,

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They will work if I am patient.  If not I'll find a Tassie FD owner to give them to. :victory:

Just saw your latest post PurpleH. Yeah yours look ok.  :goodjob:

Offline LemurMort

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
While they do look nice, I have a different problem.
Seems to me the previous owner had a bad habit of rubbing feet on top of the side skirts when entering the car.
The result: bare black plastic surrounded by a beautiful red paint. What can you do...
  • 2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4 + LPG, Manual, Red

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Seems to me the previous owner had a bad habit of rubbing feet on top of the side skirts when entering the car.
The result: bare black plastic surrounded by a beautiful red paint. What can you do...
Side skirts you would need to paint them or see if there is a similar vinyl wrap colour to cover with :undecided: a picture might help to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Offline LemurMort

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
Side skirts you would need to paint them or see if there is a similar vinyl wrap colour to cover with :undecided: a picture might help to make sure we're talking about the same thing.
Sorry, I'm not able to put picture of my own car picture. Hopefully, this will do.
Marked red is a side skirt, marked green is where it is damaged.
Only, the damage is on the driver's side.

I'm afraid I'd have to live with this. If I take the skirt to repaint it, it'll cost a lot.
It's not really noticeable until you look at that part of the car but it still bugs me a bit.
What can you do...
  • 2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4 + LPG, Manual, Red

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You could get some paint made up/colour matched if you just want a quick fix to eliminate the black scrapes, that's about the cheapest option you'll find next to vinyl wrapping the top of the sills/scuff plates.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal