i30 premium - door handle button not unlocking/locking

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

• 2013 i30 Premium auto,petrol hatch - Dazzling Blue
    • Sydney Pet Rescue & Adoption
Hi guys, looking for some help/information please. 2013 i30 Premium
 I always use the outside driver's side button on the door handle to unlock and lock the doors. Recently it has stopped working and i have to use the remote key fob instead. The passenger side button works fine as it has been rarely used.
I am not technical and age limits me from crawling around and bending.
Is this something that my local mechanic can fix/replace?

Many thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.
  • i30 Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Lovely  lady, sorry our members have been sliw to respond.  I noticed you posted twice.  I removed the other one..  :winker:

I have a few thoughts but unfortunately I'm about to start a video call with what is looking like my new GF in Manila! Therr is a lot happening in my life at the moment ao I'm seldom on here but i will try and help soon..

Cone on folks help our lovely polite Sydney lady out please!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've got a busy day planned but just some quick thoughts @Sydney Lady .

It depends on how electronically saavy your mechanic is. They usually farm this sort of problem out to auto electricians who can be expensive.  My nephew took over my brother's old Sydney (Artarmon) auto electricial business but has since moved north or I'd get him to sort you cheaply. O may ask him if he has a contact that will look after you.

Talking of contact. It could just be the contact between the door button and switch is poor/corroded but even that would require disassembly. Or it could be the switch itself. I think id live with it until you have a few spare $ as i suspect although only a small issue might be a few hundred to diagnose and fix.  :disapp:

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Maybe just drop by your local auto electrician & see if they can give you a quote?
I'd suggest ours but they are on other side of Sydney.

Maybe a mobile one? Mr G gives a number of results for Bexley:
:link: mobile auto electricians bexley - Google Search
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Something to consider, when approaching either door on my 2012 premy, the side mirrors fold back out.
Do they do this on both doors on your car?
If only on the pax side & not drivers would think that it is not sensing your key in proximity so won't allow you to unlock.
So sensor might be faulty???
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

Something to consider, when approaching either door on my 2012 premy, the side mirrors fold back out.
Do they do this on both doors on your car?
If only on the pax side & not drivers would think that it is not sensing your key in proximity so won't allow you to unlock.
So sensor might be faulty???

Both mirrors fold out and door handle lights both come on,  button on key fob opens door immediately so is sensing the key fob.
I will get some quotes and decide what to do about it.
  • i30 Premium

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

Maybe just drop by your local auto electrician & see if they can give you a quote?

I saw a local auto electrician but there is a charge of approx $90 for him to disassemble the door etc to be able to diagnose the fault and only then could give me a quote.
For curiosity I went to my Hyundai service centre at Arncliffe and they charge $150 to diagnose before they can give a quote.

I've decided I won't worry about it and just use the key fob buttons. I can use the passenger side door button when I am out and about, but not in my small garage where it is too close to the wall.

Thanks anyway for your help Dazz and Premy. Have a good week.
  • i30 Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I saw a local auto electrician but there is a charge of approx $90 for him to disassemble the door etc to be able to diagnose the fault and only then could give me a quote.
For curiosity I went to my Hyundai service centre at Arncliffe and they charge $150 to diagnose before they can give a quote.

I've decided I won't worry about it and just use the key fob buttons. I can use the passenger side door button when I am out and about, but not in my small garage where it is too close to the wall.

Thanks anyway for your help Dazz and Premy. Have a good week.

No worries,  much as i thought.  This fancy tech has it's draw backs when cars age...

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I missed what model this was bur if its a pd  one grommet on the door edge hides a bolt that holds the handle on.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I missed what model this was bur if its a pd  one grommet on the door edge hides a bolt that holds the handle on.

It's a GD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal