i30 Owners Club

i30 Brake pad change challenge

Offline topdrog

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Scotland
Hi guys, wife's i30 (2012) needs a set of new front brake pads. I've seen the mechanic change pads on my honda and was wanting to try and do this myself as a bit tight on cash right now. Came across quite a few youtube tutorials such as this one for i20 ( :link: How to change Hyundai i20 rear brake pads - YouTube)
/ix35 ( :link: Hyundai ix35 brake pad change/CRDi - YouTube)

and this thread here ~( :link: i30 Brake Pad Change).

Am I right in thinking that the i30 would be the same as i20 or ix35 when it comes to brake pad change.
Also how do I need a brake piston rewind tool (like this one off ebay ). After doing a bit of reading, apparently this depends on whether the rear brakes incorporate handbrake mechanism. Does anyone know if the i30 has this? If not, apparently an old G clamp works fine. If I do need a rewind tool, which would you guys recommend?
Lastly how much copper grease do I use?
  • i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I wouldn't worry about the rear {hand}brakes if all your doing is the fronts ;)

It's a dead easy process to create a large enough gap to fit the new pads, as I'm sure the vids show (not watched them myself). On my 3 RAV4's I've used just hand power to force the calipers open.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Lastly how much copper grease do I use?

None. In my opinion...They sell brake grease. At least for me, it has worked better than copper grease. Price is same and it is much more easier to apply. Does not make such mess like copper grease.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal