i30 Owners Club

2009 i30 crdi lost revs and blowing heaps of smoke

Gnomes · 5 · 4775

Offline Gnomes

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Hi need help trouble shooting this problem. Just pulled out of driveway and changed to second gear when noticed rev shot up to 4k and lost accelerator power, same lack of response when changed to 3rd gear. It was around now that I noticed I was blowing an immense amount of white smoke so pulled over. While idling smoke was still billowing intermittently. Stopped engine and had difficulty restarting. Had to get car off road as bad position so returned to home 400 m away. Noticed car wanted to race during this short drive in 2nd.

Any suggestions where to start? Turbo? Seal? Any help appreciated as been a fantastic reliable car to now. Regularly serviced and approx 170000km
  • i30 crdi

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
How do the fluids (oil, coolant) look? It might be good to read codes before starting it again. First thing came to mind was runaway diesel, but I doubt you would be able to drive it back home. White smoke could come from burn oil, diesel or coolant.

What year is the car, FD or GD?

I assume everything was cold, as you just pulled out to traffic, or was the engine hot?

Do you have DPF in your car?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Gnomes

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Hi  there is now no oil left in the engine.  And the compressor is missing chunks.  :( I fear my car is kaput
  • i30 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi  there is now no oil left in the engine.  And the compressor is missing chunks.  :( I fear my car is kaput

:eek:  :blubber:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Gees....sounds terminal.  :crazy1:

Let us know what the diagnosis turns out to be.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal