i30 Owners Club

Handbrake warning light not shown.

Offline electroman5000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester, UK
Hello, fellow i30 owners and lovers!

I've noticed an issues for 2 days now - as I pull the handbrake up when parked - the warning light on the dashboard does not come on. But in the ignition mode (before starting the engine) it does light up , as a pre-start check, I guess. So I wonder what to do now - either go HY and let them sort it out (there's still 4 months of warranty left), and hope that it's a warranty case, or go some independent garage (I got a few a locally) and let them boys fix it. I'm thinking it's probably the handbrake sensor, or some related wiring/plug on it.
Does anyone know where is it located exactly? Did anyone experience such an problem? The handbrake functions as normal, no issues there, just it's not indicated on the dash, so there's a big chance to drive off and  annihilate the pads!

I've got a 2014 5dr CRDi, 77k miles.

Grateful for any info and advise! Cheers!

• 2014 1.6 CRDi 128hp Style "Cream"

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If you just let brake off say 2 notches, i. e. Brake lever not fully off/down and start to move off do the handbrake on chimes chime?

Personally i'd get dealer to check it out as they should have the know how to pin point the issue and be covered under warranty.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline electroman5000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester, UK
Hm, I'll try that experiment later today.

It would seem logical to take it to dealer, hopefully they'll be able to find the cause quickly enough. Although I'm always a bit afraid because of their "£95 + VAT investigation charge, plus any additional cost for parts/labour if it's not a part failure /manufacturing defect". I still do think it's a sensor/switch.
Guess will have to go HY next week, unless the problem goes away by itself (dreaming!) .

If you just let brake off say 2 notches, i. e. Brake lever not fully off/down and start to move off do the handbrake on chimes chime?

Personally i'd get dealer to check it out as they should have the know how to pin point the issue and be covered under warranty.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'd go down the dealer route. I've a gut feeling that you may fail your next MOT if the warning light doesn't illuminate, and that makes it a big issue.

Let's face it, if the handbrake actually works then it's a signalling problem which shouldn't be subject to "fair wear and tear".
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid:

If the handbrake is working properly I don't think you would be able to drive off without noticing, but it needs fixing.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
just take it back under warranty , sounds like a faulty switch.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

what part does he take?

switch , light, chimes or notches?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

what part does he take?

switch , light, chimes or notches?
He'll take no part, not his job
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :D :goodjob:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline electroman5000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester, UK
   Hello, everyone! Got this small issue fixed, thanks to HY local dealer. I have to say that I was lucky AF! It was just a loose connection (unplugged plug), which they reconnected. As I was picking the car up in the end of the day, was already mentally ready for my wallet to be axed by £95+VAT (for investigation). But luckly for me, the dealer decided not to charge - heh, there's still some humanity left in humans after all.  :happydance:
   And I guess it's true that Hyundai do look after their costumers at a highest level! I'm now even ready now to leave them a good review on Google.

Cheers!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Excellent news. Thanks for the update. Yes, definitely worth giving them a "plug"  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal