i30 Owners Club

Armrest change for sliding one

Offline electroman5000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester, UK
So the weather was nice today, and I've had a day off and finaly managed to swap my existing armrest for the sliding one, which had been lying around for nearly 7 months now... Nothing was broken (hoooorayyyy!), but managed to loose one screw in the windscreen airvent (clumsy me). Besides that the swap-around was pretty straight forward and took roughly 2 hours (would be a lot less, but I was struggling with one bit, and was afraid to break plastic).
So that people know I've got a 2014 GD model with manual 6-speed gearbox, UK model (right hand drive). If you've got and automatic, then certain stages might be slightly different.
So, pictures and description to follow.

So first you remove the 2 shiny trim peaces with airvent. :link: remove stereo Hyundai Elantra 2011-2013 - YouTube - this video gives and idea of how to do it. But personally I started from the bottom - start latching with thin plastic trim removal tool (where I point the screwdriver) away from center and pull towards yourself.  These shiny pieces sit pretty tight, so some force will have to be applied (they are quite strong, so don't worry about breaking them)

This what they look like when off, also made photos of the part number in case someone needs it. Anyway you end with with dash looking like this:

After which you have to remove a screw from either side of the climate control unit:

Once screws are out, just pull the 2 trim pieces out (towards back of car and a bit up, wiggle them a bit).

Next remove the plastic screws in the footwell on either side:

After that remove 2 bolts using m10 socket bit from the compartment under the armrest, remove the small insert to uncover the bolts:

Next lift the leather gearbox gaiter. That's easy, just latch in between leather and plastic on the side and unclip by pulling up.
At this point I already started to celebrate victory over the central tunnel, but it was a bit premature....And the next step took me the most time and nerves  to deal with. :crazy1:  It's the remaining plastic trim around the gearbox stick.

Being held by 8 clips, 4 of which are super stiff, it seemed that that piece isn't possible to detach. I managed to pull it off starting from the side closer to the rear of car, where 2 green slips are holding the piece. Pop them 2 out and then just pulling one side up at a time. It takes a lot of force to pop them out, and I feared that I've broken something when it popped out, but the plastic clips are quite durable.
After that remove the final 2 screws that are holding the tunnel down:

Then remove the small plastic cover right under the handbrake handle (can be done with any small screwdriver or similar thing to latch it up). And after that just slide the whole central tunnel off. It did take some back and forward motion to get it around the handbrake, but nothing to be afraid of. Once out you end up with your car looking something like this:

Part code for those, who are in need of one:

As you flip it over you'll see how the back wall (next to rear passengers wootwell) is being held - 2 screws and 8 clips:

Unscrew the 2 screws and simply pull off the that last piece of plastic, the clips will undo quite easy. After that you just have to remove 4 screws, which are holding your existing armrest:

Install your new sliding armrest using them 4 screws and enjoy! :happydance:
Here's the part number for the sliding armrest itself (but I'm sure you can find on the internet as well):

Getting things back together should be of no difficulty, just reverse all the steps. This also gives the opportunity to stick some anti-sqeeak strips on the most annoying pieces, like the 2 silver vent trims and the 2 parts underneath them.

Hope this review helps whoever is planning on changing the armrest in his i30 for a sliding one. :goodjob2:
  • 2014 1.6 CRDi 128hp Style "Cream"

Offline electroman5000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester, UK
Also this will be useful to whoever is planning on soundproofing his car. Because for best results and proper access you need to strip all the interior out completely (without touching the dash) to remove the carpet. And this central tunnel is the last obstacle standing in between you and the goal. (I've went through this and was struggling a lot, but it's a different story).

Cheers! :cool:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Exceptional work - thanks for the writeup and photos.

:goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline electroman5000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester, UK
Thanks! At least this will help other DYI'ers to save some of their nerve cells. :D :crazy1:
Next step will be radio replacement for a satnav one. That will be a walk in the park, comparing to this job!  :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well done! I can see why you left it 7 months! Like Steve says we really appreciate members who take the time to post how-tos with photos. We've had quite a few lately.  :brilliant:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline electroman5000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester, UK
Heh, I could provide with tons more of photos about how to take the interior apart, but when I was doing all that (for soundproofing), time and weather were both against me. So was more focused on getting things done, instead of documenting it. Very time consuming that job is, especially if done first time. A lot of research needs to be done prior to ordering any soundproofing/deadening materials and starting any interior disassembly job. One can get himself in a big trouble if rushing and not being careful. :Shocked:
I can provide guidance though on how to take apart any of 5 doors and strip the interior of any trim (apart from dash and roof).

The car is starting to feel so familiar now! (as if I've had for 20 years already, even though it's been only 1 year). I think I haven't seen my missus as naked as I've  seen my car, hehe!  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The car is starting to feel so familiar now! (as if I've had for 20 years already, even though it's been only 1 year). I think I haven't seen my missus as naked as I've  seen my car, hehe!  :D

:ttiuwp:

It's probably better in a separate thread, but did the added sound proofing make much difference. Was it worth the effort and cost?

Offline electroman5000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester, UK

:ttiuwp:

It's probably better in a separate thread, but did the added sound proofing make much difference. Was it worth the effort and cost?

Well, I don't have the actual measurements of dB of before and after, so can't really be objective. But I can surely tell that it's a lot quieter than before. We've got some really rough asphalt here in UK in places , that it sounds like driving in an empty metal barrel! :mad: and I spend a lot of time on the motorway (done 23000 miles in a year  and 4 months), and the noise absolutely demoralises you.
It hasn't gone all Bentley or Mercedes quiet, (and it won't, simply because of materials used and their thickness), but it's a lot more bearable on rough surface, and if it's smooth asphalt it's a real pleasure, because it's almost noiseless.  :cool:

I haven't spent much on materials - maybe around £400 and I've already done 5 doors, floor, wheel arches, boot...only the roof left to do, and I will even have some materials left after it. Of course I didn't go for the "SilentCoat" - that would have cost me an arm and a leg!  :faint:

My last addition of soundproofing was a simple layer of felt (or similar sound absorber) on the underside of parcel shelf in the boot. Very simple and you can actually hear the difference!

note that the grey looking felt was taken off from front door panels (rear ones had absolutely no sound proofing).
Now most of the noise now is coming just from front wheel arches.

And as some people mentioned in other topics - soundproofing the doors does make your speakers sound better. Even the stock speakers have got a lot more clarity now!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 23:00:47 by electroman5000 »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good info thanks!  :drinks:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal