i30 Owners Club

First i30 potential buyer

Offline QLDrooster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane, queensland
Im looking at buying a 2011 i30sx 2l petrol manual with only 65,000 kms for 5,000. Good condition, drove well. BUT: passenger side front window will go down but only goes up with a lot of jiggling of the switch (using either driver's side control switch or passenger's).
The other issue is the driver's side rear door lock. The lock still works but makes a buzzing sound.

from lurking your amazing forums i have deduced with no mechanical knowledge that the window is being caused by either the motor inside the regulator wearing out or this: "I opened the panel on the door and pressed the switch. Looked like too much movement on the housing/frame of the motor so i just checked to tighten the bolts/screws and they were a bit loose. After they had been tightened the window seems to be working fine." from a guy in 2017 having similar problems although his wouldn't go up with coercing. Or worse would be this: "Replacing the motor would be fairly simple but if you hear it running momentarily run then most common failure is the window mech itself. It's actually a whole panel assembly and your speaker will be pop rivetted to it." also from 2017. Or this: "Window mechanisms- power window mech the plastic clips the window is attached to,  snap." from Gerard, who seems happy to help most newbies.

as for the door lock sound: The door lock actuator seems to be the most likely culprit. The other thing that was suggested was the solenoid.

Ive already learned so much from you all but if you have any advice please let me know. Getting pre purchase inspection done this afternoon.

Thanks!
  • 2011 i30 manual

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
65k km, unmolested for $5k - Sweet . Can't lose really  :victory:
Gone on have a go at faults or and pay someone to fix the 2 faults
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline QLDrooster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane, queensland
HAHAHAHAHA love the optimism! I'm partially handy but better at research and getting cheap quotes. The guy selling it didn't mention the faults till I found them either.
  • 2011 i30 manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome, all else considered sounds like a good buy but use those two faults to negotiate an extra couple of hundred off, unless it is one of our members selling it, in which case I never said any such thing...  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline QLDrooster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane, queensland
I was thinking of offering $4500. Gonna be $125 for door lock actuator and $145 for actuator and motor. Plus either $360 in labor or 3 cartons of beer and a lot of convincing to a handy mate.
  • 2011 i30 manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I was thinking of offering $4500. Gonna be $125 for door lock actuator and $145 for actuator and motor. Plus either $360 in labor or 3 cartons of beer and a lot of convincing to a handy mate.

Worth a try. With a bit of luck they'll split the difference.  :goodjob:

Offline QLDrooster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane, queensland
So he doesn't understand the concept of negotiation. I said I'd offer $4500 and he said: so that's your best offer? I was hoping to get more.... I'll think about it.

Isn't he supposed to counter offer?
  • 2011 i30 manual

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Tell him it IS your best but not final offer. That offer may get lower as time goes by and you think of more things to check on the car... :whistler:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline QLDrooster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane, queensland
HAHA yeah i think I'll be doing pretty well if he takes the $4500. Pre purchase inspection passed with flying colours literally only 2 things are the door lock and electric window. 65000kms!!!!!!
  • 2011 i30 manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Give him 48 hours and if he doesn't come back to you say $4,700 is my final offer and hope he hasn't sold it in the mean time.  :cool:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
try to be too cute and it may sell before you get another chance. That age and Ks if it's all legit etc etc then 5 grand seems pretty cheap. I'd be chasing 7 grand.

Just an opinion of course.
The noisy lock will need new lock mechanism the internals are all plastic and common failure. Most likely if the door is still locking and unlocking normally it will be the deadlock feature. You could put up with it for a while until it completely fails but I had one like that and sounded horrible so I swapped it out.

Are we sure it's the window mech or motor? The switch gear in these is also not the most durable but taking onboard that it's the same result at the door and the master switch  the problem may be in the door but I have not read or experienced a failed window motor yet. It is conceivable that both switches are faulty and if it only has the driver in it most its life then that passenger window may barely been operated. My wifes CW has multiple switches not working and it's on the windows rarely used, rear, passenger front.

Operating the switches numerous times can clean the contacts up to get them working again but seem to stop again when not used for a while.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
OH, and the car. It's gotta be Red

Offline QLDrooster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane, queensland
Thankyou so much for replying!! I think you might be the elusive Gerard that I keep reading about, you have helped so many people from what i've read so good on ya you literally save people like me who can use the net but not a spanner thousands of dollars if we're willing to listen and do the research. He ended up countering with $4800 but I'm a stubborn and surprisingly convincing bastard when i want to be and he ended up settling for $4675 so I'm very happy with my 2011 car with 65,000kms, logbook service history, 3 month old tyres and 6 month old battery. Literally not possible without this i30 owners club and I hope as i learn i can pass on knowledge!

BUT THE CAR IS NOT RED :( :(

Thanks,
Rooster
  • 2011 i30 manual

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thankyou so much for replying!! I think you might be the elusive Gerard that I keep reading about, you have helped so many people from what i've read so good on ya you literally save people like me who can use the net but not a spanner thousands of dollars if we're willing to listen and do the research. He ended up countering with $4800 but I'm a stubborn and surprisingly convincing bastard when i want to be and he ended up settling for $4675 so I'm very happy with my 2011 car with 65,000kms, logbook service history, 3 month old tyres and 6 month old battery. Literally not possible without this i30 owners club and I hope as i learn i can pass on knowledge!

Thanks,
Rooster
Pity for you,

Very cheap, that price would bring tears to gary's eyes @nzenigma

Offline QLDrooster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane, queensland

Thanks,
Rooster
Pity for you,

how did i not see that coming  :head_butt: :)
  • 2011 i30 manual

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Thanks,
Rooster
Pity for you,

how did i not see that coming  :head_butt: :)
I guess not :mrgreen: :winker:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Congrats.. Everyone knows I love happy endings.  :victory: :happydance:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Congrats.. Everyone knows I love happy endings.  :victory: :happydance:
So glad I just finished my breakfast :spitty:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
HAHAHAHAHA love the optimism! I'm partially handy but better at research and getting cheap quotes. The guy selling it didn't mention the faults till I found them either.

Of course he didn't,   :rofl: :rofl:, bet he didn't use that door or that window  :whistler:

Good score , congratulations  :goodjob2: :victory:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Congratulations, Roo. Smart buyer doing your homework and recognising good advice from the right people. You're now a fully fledged member of the

:i30:

Owners' Club!

Next we'll send you details of the initiation ceremony. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline QLDrooster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane, queensland
You beauty! Initiate away!

It even came with a hula girl on the dash that i can't figure out how to remove so I've adopted her and named her Sharon.

Drove it to and from work today and had air con for the first time in 3 yrs. I live in bloody Queensland.......

I'll hit you all up when I do enough research to attempt the door lock. have done ignition coil, spark plugs, brake pads, oil and oil filter and more on my astra which I will now burn. So I have some limited handiness built up  :D
  • 2011 i30 manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:D :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal