i30 Owners Club

New Tyres (Tires) - What to get? What to avoid? 205 55 R16

tw2005 · 41 · 14824

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
So, I'm scouting for tyres. Like most I like a bargain but I hate crappy tyres too.

SO far I've had Yoko AE01 on mine and very grippy , Dunlop SP01, like wise, Kumho KH17, V rated , not particularly grippy in th ewet but otherwise ok.

I know The Gonz likes his Diamond backs.

Got a local trye shop that gets a good wrap and fairly competitive price wise. Seems to prefer the Kumho flavours.

AT the moment I have these choices.

KUMHO SENSE KR26 $380 per set

205/55R16 94V KUMHO ECSTA HS51 Harmony Sports $100 each

205/55R16 91V NEXEN N'Blue Eco $400 for 4 tyre = $100 each

205/55R16 91V KUMHO Solus KH17 $120 each

205/55R16 91W ZETUM Sport ZU37 $328 for 4 (Zetum tyre is a new subsidiary brand from Kumho tyre)

I'm curious about the Zetums, I think at that price they're Diamondback country in price.

Any feedback on those? or HS51 Harmony or KR26 Sense

:sweating:

Something else discussed. My hatch with 200000K is really taking out the outer edges. Front end is new except the rack and column. Does have that rattly knock.

Thinking alignment bad toe-in  but this guy once I told him the distances and symptoms, asked it the rack had a knock.

said from his experience no alignemt will fix it, I need to sort out the knock as the front end tracking must keep changing or vibrate. I don't feel it but it steers noticeably different to the wagon and heavier.

Also notice as I turn out of the street right, the steering seem to pull itself further right as it nears full lock.

anyway, the advice is I'll be wasting time and money on alignments and tyres until I sort it.

When I rebuilt the front end I was hoping it was bushes but to be honest they were not as bad as I expected and not broken, they were fatigued and cracking but unlike the wagon which the bush had separated enough to cause change in direction on braking , these were passable.

@Surferdude @FatBoy @nzenigma @cruiserfied
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:19:11 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My experience with other brands is limited for the last 4 or 5 years so I probably can't help.
I have Goodyear's fitted but they'd be more expensive than your list.
However, with my contacts, they work out about the same as the Kumhos.   :happydance:

We'll be up for some for my wife's Corolla soon. I'll fit Goodyear Assurance I think. They're on my i30 and are quiet, wearing well and predictable in the wet.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mate, if you have someone that can fit them for you Tyroola has 4 Toyo Proxies for $348 delivered.

If you need someone to fit them they come in around the same as the ones listed below.

I had them on the hatch and they went allright.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
My experience with other brands is limited for the last 4 or 5 years so I probably can't help.
However, with my contacts, they work out about the same as the Kumhos.   :happydance:

We'll be up for some for my wife's Corolla soon. I'll fit Goodyear Assurance I think. They're on my i30 and are quiet, wearing well and predictable in the wet.

Right, So what's the address for me to drop off the 4 rims then? :mrgreen:

I had Assurance back in 2009 on my Magna wagon coming from RE92 Bridgestones. Well, I swore I'd never go near any Goodyear/Dunlop product again after a terrible Dunlops that were fitted to Tr/TS series magnas in the 90's and the absolute rubbish the company carried on about when I wanted them sorted blaming the car design. Changed to Bridgestone and total transformation.

Like wise going back and giving the Good Years I found the performance with the Assurance was noticeably better.

Steering , braking , grip all fantactic. What was not, the wear. I don't think I got much more than 30K with rotations.

Heavy car though running 15's and plenty of torque to wear them out. That's when I learnt sticking to one brand and tyre model was obsolete thinkin. RE92 was a very old pattern by then and in comparison rubbish for grip in the wet

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Mate, if you have someone that can fit them for you Tyroola has 4 Toyo Proxies for $348 delivered.

If you need someone to fit them they come in around the same as the ones listed below.

I had them on the hatch and they went allright.

I asked this question locally not long ago, $25 /tyre if you supply. I've Had TOYO
TEO  or maybe TEO PLUS on a subaru which were very good , 2005

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The i30 likes to chew out the edge tread on the fronts. I used to run my cars at 34psi but like others have found 38psi has cut the scrubbing down and so far wife has got about 40k out of hers, and they came off a donor i30.

I had a GD until last week, low ks. It had Goodyear all round. They were quite legal but the front edge wear was exceptionally bad. Worse than I normally see on the Kumhos and to a buyer they would look like they were history. So replaced them. Went BJ and bought a Kumho to match the unused spare. Fitter dude couldn't understand why I was offing legal tyres, he said thats how Goodyear are.

Story 3  :rolleyes: The "blue stolen GD" has Nexens that have done 6500km.. The joyriders managed to trash the fronts..... the edge tread looked like it had done 40k plus.

So mate, any make at high pressure. And 10:1 that knock is the  bush up in your steering column. Probably :D
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
And if it is the bush, I doubt it'll affect your tyre wear.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Right, So what's the address for me to drop off the 4 rims then? :mrgreen:

I had Assurance back in 2009 on my Magna wagon coming from RE92 Bridgestones. Well, I swore I'd never go near any Goodyear/Dunlop product again after a terrible Dunlops that were fitted to Tr/TS series magnas in the 90's and the absolute rubbish the company carried on about when I wanted them sorted blaming the car design. Changed to Bridgestone and total transformation.

Like wise going back and giving the Good Years I found the performance with the Assurance was noticeably better.

Steering , braking , grip all fantactic. What was not, the wear. I don't think I got much more than 30K with rotations.

Heavy car though running 15's and plenty of torque to wear them out. That's when I learnt sticking to one brand and tyre model was obsolete thinkin. RE92 was a very old pattern by then and in comparison rubbish for grip in the wet
Wait till you hear my handling charge.  :P
Just to be clear, I'm NOT a Dunlop man.
But the Magmas and later the 380s were disastrous on tyre wear. I can't explain why the Bridgestone went better. I do know we had literally thousands of original eqipmentmB/S (did you see what I did there?) users changing to other brands on their Mitzi's. And no doubt, like you, many going the other way.

My Assurances are 15" and not half worn at about (I'd need to check) 40,000 klms. Very slight feathering on LHF I noticed the other day. Haven't been rotated yet so I'll do that this week.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
From the late 80s, Goodyear and Dunlop were made and marketed through a joint venture in Australia, called South Pacific Tyres.  Although GY in the US owned half and Dunlop Australia (wholly owned in Australia since the 1920s - not part of the worldwide Dunlop organisation), half, they tended to leave the running of the Oz company to the existing Dunlop senior management.
In the early 2000s, Goodyear US took over full control.  :P
The best part was all those "protected species" at HO had to change their email addresses from boofhead@pacificdunlop or boofhead@beaurepaires to @goodyear.   :happydance:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
From the late 80s, Goodyear and Dunlop were made and marketed through a joint venture in Australia, called South Pacific Tyres.  Although GY in the US owned half and Dunlop Australia (wholly owned in Australia since the 1920s - not part of the worldwide Dunlop organisation), half, they tended to leave the running of the Oz company to the existing Dunlop senior management.
In the early 2000s, Goodyear US took over full control.  :P
The best part was all those "protected species" at HO had to change their email addresses from boofhead@pacificdunlop or boofhead@beaurepaires to @goodyear.   :happydance:

Yeah, it was well known  all three were tied. You have ties with Fulcrum too. they're the ones that assured me the TR/TS designs were not responsible for the tyre issue.  When I rang MMAL at the time they were every keen to find out who at Dunlop was blaming the design.

I think I went with Bridestone B249 replacing Dunlop Grand Prix I believe. A piece of history where it was the first time I had experince tyre noise so loud I thought the bearings were shot. :crazy2:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:54:44 by tw2005 »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I think the most relevant point is that my job in those days was tyre dealer liaison. Which meant I spent my days with dealers of all persuasions.

And while there were many varied brand preferences amongst them, one thing they all agreed on was that the car was a major contributing factor.
Goodyear, Dunlop and Bridgestone all had OE supply contracts with MMAL. These contracts included supplying tyre engineers who were to work with their engineers to match the tyres  with the suspension.

SPT had the majority of the supply to Ford, B/S had a stranglehold on Holden and Toyota and Mitsubishi were pretty much evenly shared.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The i30 likes to chew out the edge tread on the fronts. I used to run my cars at 34psi but like others have found 38psi has cut the scrubbing down and so far wife has got about 40k out of hers, and they came off a donor i30.

I had a GD until last week, low ks. It had Goodyear all round. They were quite legal but the front edge wear was exceptionally bad. Worse than I normally see on the Kumhos and to a buyer they would look like they were history. So replaced them. Went BJ and bought a Kumho to match the unused spare. Fitter dude couldn't understand why I was offing legal tyres, he said thats how Goodyear are.

Story 3  :rolleyes: The "blue stolen GD" has Nexens that have done 6500km.. The joyriders managed to trash the fronts..... the edge tread looked like it had done 40k plus.

So mate, any make at high pressure. And 10:1 that knock is the  bush up in your steering column. Probably :D
Interesting, because the wagon, and I don't know the k's these tyres have done are wearing better  KH17 Kumho. 3 year old, Front is not chewing the edges as bad. The Old mans hatch also not chewing them out.

I do drive the hatch a bit harder, generally 34-35psi cold I'm at but I'm sure Kmart could be bumping up the old fellas to 38.

Dunlop SP01, probably quite soft

He's in the CX-3 Maxx AWD from tomorrow, so his stalling i30 will be on the Market.

Hatch is out so no images, but some of the CW

Fronts

Rears

Date

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
17th week 2014.

They look OK for a while yet.
Disclaimer. Only a small tablet pic to look at.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Going to same mate, for an i30, I would not complain.
 You are correct, the bush will not affect wear.

On the stolen car, they probably chewed the front edges off in one night.  The outer 50mm is virtually bald.

And about 20mm of the edge of each hub cap ( front and back) looked like it had been worn down an angle grinder.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:30:03 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I think the most relevant point is that my job in those days was tyre dealer liaison. Which meant I spent my days with dealers of all persuasions.

And while there were many varied brand preferences amongst them, one thing they all agreed on was that the car was a major contributing factor.
Goodyear, Dunlop and Bridgestone all had OE supply contracts with MMAL. These contracts included supplying tyre engineers who were to work with their engineers to match the tyres  with the suspension.

SPT had the majority of the supply to Ford, B/S had a stranglehold on Holden and Toyota and Mitsubishi were pretty much evenly shared.
I remember a lot of that series were Dunlop especially the povo Gov Fleet specials with the 14" 2.6 4 cyl.

I'm sure design has  an effect but  the service department did mention they were seeing some common issues with the Grand Prix.

Remember the early Good Year Steel belts, late 70's and the belt separation with the wires hanging out of the tyres?

We had a UC Sunbudgie that happened to, brand new car.

Hard to find historic images, Torana will have to do.

It did bias me for many years.

Hatch

Front

Rear

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Going to same mate, for an i30, I would not complain.
 You are correct, the bush will not affect wear.

On the stolen car, they probably chewed the front edges off in one night.  The outer 50mm is virtually bald.

And about 20mm of the edge of each hub cap ( front and back) looked like it had been worn down an angle grinder.

How's your wheel rim repair skills going? Every now and then I Brain Fart.

Rushed tio get a set of 4 wheels meant to be good, Might make another thread on that one, LOL

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I remember a lot of that series were Dunlop especially the povo Gov Fleet specials with the 14" 2.6 4 cyl.

I'm sure design has  an effect but  the service department did mention they were seeing some common issues with the Grand Prix.

Remember the early Good Year Steel belts, late 70's and the belt separation with the wires hanging out of the tyres?

Hatch

Front

Rear

Everyone had the steel belt separation problems back then.
Uniroyal was probably the worst but Goodyear, Dunlop and Olympic, being OE fitment had the worst exposure just through sheer volume in the market place.
Image friends who were driving in the Holden Precision Driving Team. At that stage they were using Olympics. They got to tour the Olympic factory one time. Told me some interesting stories.
Interestingly at that time I was in the Renault Car Club of Qld and sold Supersteels to almost every member. No failures. I can only assume, looking back that the fact they pretty much all ran higher pressures helped.
I know Goodyear made a small change to the  design around the edge of the belts in the shoulder to fix the problem.
Semperit, out of, I think, France almost sent the Bob Jane Corp broke as they were the Australian importers.
Because we had such rough roads and high temperatures, we had to fix the problem quickly. The Aussie manufacturers did so, but it was years before the imports caught up.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Hatch

Front

Rear

Everyone had the steel belt separation problems back then.
Uniroyal was probably the worst but Goodyear, Dunlop and Olympic, being OE fitment had the worst exposure just through sheer volume in the market place.
Image friends who were driving in the Holden Precision Driving Team. At that stage they were using Olympics. They got to tour the Olympic factory one time. Told me some interesting stories.
Interestingly at that time I was in the Renault Car Club of Qld and sold Supersteels to almost every member. No failures. I can only assume, looking back that the fact they pretty much all ran higher pressures helped.
I know Goodyear made a small change to the  design around the edge of the belts in the shoulder to fix the problem.
Semperit, out of, I think, France almost sent the Bob Jane Corp broke as they were the Australian importers.
Because we had such rough roads and high temperatures, we had to fix the problem quickly. The Aussie manufacturers did so, but it was years before the imports caught up.

Renault Car Club, interesting, when was that? Any hill Climbs involved , Using R10's at all?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I was involved from its creation in 1971. Committee member, editor, CAMS delegate and President.
I had an R10 then and an R12 next. Rallies, motorkhanas, and a few times at Mt Cotton.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I was involved from its creation in 1971. Committee member, editor, CAMS delegate and President.
I had an R10 then and an R12 next. Rallies, motorkhanas, and a few times at Mt Cotton.

Would a name Greg Johnson mean anything, mechanic, believe did his apprenticeship or worked at Leyland motors, had a soft spot for a cream V8 P76 that he had. No idea how old I was, in the  late 70's early 80's maybe

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
No. That one doesn't ring a bell.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Was a long shot. Had an R10 Hill climber, also sponsored by Fulcrums at the time, highly recommended them then too.

For a while I was thinking the holes in the cheese would line up. I remember he spent weekend after weekend shot peening the rods under his dad's house.

I don't know much more exactly, remember it was R10, Red white and blue. I think later he transitioned into a rep for  Snap-on

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Was a long shot. Had an R10 Hill climber, also sponsored by Fulcrums at the time, highly recommended them then too.

For a while I was thinking the holes in the cheese would line up. I remember he spent weekend after weekend shot peening the rods under his dad's house.

I don't know much more exactly, remember it was R10, Red white and blue. I think later he transitioned into a rep for  Snap-on
Still can't place him. I'm pretty sure none of our members had a specialist E10 Hill climber.
Fulcrum sponsored my rally car for a while in the early 80s. Paid all my entry fees.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
My car needed re-shoeing about 4/5 months back after much research I opted for Cross Climates and found the best deal at COSTO.

I have been well pleased up to now  :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Gerard, Have you googled for customer reviews on any of them? If it were me I'd go the Nexen or Kumho Ecsta I reckon. Zetums too cheap and solus too dear... :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi Gerard, Have you googled for customer reviews on any of them? If it were me I'd go the Nexen or Kumho Ecsta I reckon. Zetums too cheap and solus too dear... :winker:

They are cheap, but look ok pattern wise. Compund could be interesting, I agree the KH17 don't excite at $120 I'd go bargain hunting loo for mainstream brands for taht. I had MY02 Bridgestone in 60 profile which I found very good on an old V6 Galant

Justy can't convert to Nexen, look cheap although I know they are OEM but there always seems a steady supply of near new nexens being flogged off from i30s to make me wonder if they're that bad people are offloading them.

Harmony ecsta, may be clearance on old stock. Said there was only 3 avalable and new stock would be dearer.

No rush, just throwing it out there. I'd prefer to hear feedbacki off i30 owners than generic reviews. Always hard to get clear answers. One thing I can say never ever ever get the Bob Jane branded ones, I've driven an i30 CRDi with them and no traction in the wet even with good tread, dangerous. harsh.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:57:49 by tw2005 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
My car needed re-shoeing about 4/5 months back after much research I opted for Cross Climates and found the best deal at COSTO.

I have been well pleased up to now  :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

No worries mate. I'll jump on the next ship to England then. :rofl: :faint: :sweating:

I have heard COSTCO, if that's the same place  can have a bargain. Bit of a problem here, I think we only have one about 60k aay and then you have pay to join.

Better bring some snow back too so I can get my monies worth.

I'll just stick my oars in here. Should be a ship along shortly.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:09:04 by tw2005 »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

They are cheap, but look ok pattern wise. Compund could be interesting, I agree the KH17 don't excite at $120 I'd go bargain hunting loo for mainstream brands for taht. I had MY02 Bridgestone in 60 profile which I found very good on an old V6 Galant

Justy can't convert to Nexen, look cheap although I know they are OEM but there always seems a steady supply of near new nexens being flogged off from i30s to make me wonder if they're that bad people are offloading them.

Harmony ecsta, may be clearance on old stock. Said there was only 3 avalable and new stock would be dearer.

No rush, just throwing it out there. I'd prefer to hear feedbacki off i30 owners than generic reviews. Always hard to get clear answers. One thing I can say never ever ever get the Bob Jane branded ones, I've driven an i30 CRDi with them and no traction in the wet even with good tread, dangerous. harsh.
The last Bob Jane ones I had anything to do with were old, discontinued Dunlop patterns. Then they went to a discontinued Bridgestone pattern but since all the Oz factories closed down they import them from somewhere.
The Dunlop one they even reduced the tread depth by IIRC 2 mm.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

The last Bob Jane ones I had anything to do with were old, discontinued Dunlop patterns. Then they went to a discontinued Bridgestone pattern but since all the Oz factories closed down they import them from somewhere.
The Dunlop one they even reduced the tread depth by IIRC 2 mm.

Pretty sure it was the ex Bridgey pattern, only in the last few years too.makes me mad because he would have been pushed in that direction. He won't be back. Steered him to Kmart and loves his free rotation, balance. Lazy sod books the car in once a month for a free pressure test. Unbelievable. Tight arse :spitty:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal