i30 Owners Club

Dark smoke when accelerating

Offline caseyth3

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hi everyone,

So basically the last month or so about 4 times, when I have accelerated a lot (but no more than before this started happening), a dark great cloud of smoke has come out the back of the car and there has been a burning plastic or rubber type smell.

The car loses all power when trying to accelerate past 3rd gear. It loses power, the smoke comes out the exhaust but also from inside the car looks like Ra coming from underneath the car or the bonnet?
  • 2015 i30 SR - GD3 Series 2

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon:

:Shocked: Sorry, but can I address the elephant in the room....

Why did you continue to drive it after the first time it did that and not just take it to the dealer for a check up? I assume you still have warranty? :undecided:

Sounds like a recipe for disaster., like a potential engine fire or complete engine failure if it is not sorted soon. Just sayin'  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline caseyth3

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
I called Hyundai and they said that I hadn’t been driving ‘aggressively enough’ ....
I’m taking it there tomorrow.

Offline caseyth3

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
It was also serviced not long before it started happening which to me says they’ve not serviced it properly $800 later..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oh ok, I hope that their lacklustre response hasn't resulted in any long term mechanical or engine damage.  :crazy1:

I assume you've done a few basic checks like engine oil level (not over filled?) and popped the bonnet with engine running looking for sources of excess heat and smoke. Sounds a bit like some component under the bonnet is overheating / melting!  :sweating:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What was serviced? $800 for a non turbo 2ltr is expensive :Shocked: was something replaced :undecided:

Offline caseyth3

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Yeah I did all those checks, everything seems fine, but I’m also no mechanic.

I had brake pads, the AC filter, fuel filter etc replaced within that service hence the cost. I haven’t touched the oil since it was serviced, so if it’s overfilled that would mean that they’ve overfilled it? Odd.

Will let you know what they say tomorrow when I take it in.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
I called Hyundai and they said that I hadn’t been driving ‘aggressively enough’ ....
I’m taking it there tomorrow.
@caseyth3
WTF - the dealer actually said that ?  Who are they? - if you don't mind.
Please get EVERTHING in writing tomorrow.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah I did all those checks, everything seems fine, but I’m also no mechanic.

I had brake pads, the AC filter, fuel filter etc replaced within that service hence the cost. I haven’t touched the oil since it was serviced, so if it’s overfilled that would mean that they’ve overfilled it? Odd.

Will let you know what they say tomorrow when I take it in.

Overfilling of the oil can definitely cause issues, but if you checked it on level ground and it is on or very near to the full mark then that will exclude that possibility.  :cool:

Yes, please keep us informed of the outcome.

Certainly doesn't sound normal and you shouldn't be expected to drive your car hard to stop things like that happening.

I have an extra reason for my interest. My step daughter has a 2.0 petrol SR of similar age.

She got it with around 15 or 20 K on it at around 12 months old and has put a further 60K on it in a bit over 12 months! (Real estate agent)  :eek:

Offline caseyth3

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
I’m a real estate agent too! So the kms I do would probably be the same as her and I’ve had it since brand new and it’s sitting at just over 85000.

I saw a couple of other posts on here from a few years back that had similar issues, so that’s a bit concerning.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I’m a real estate agent too! So the kms I do would probably be the same as her and I’ve had it since brand new and it’s sitting at just over 85000.

I saw a couple of other posts on here from a few years back that had similar issues, so that’s a bit concerning.

Don't stress too much. As long as you've had it serviced by the book, you have your 5 year unlimited kilometre warranty.

Good luck with it!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal