i30 Owners Club

2014 1.8 trophy edition unable to start

Offline Lolavolta

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria
Model: 2014 1.8 trophy
I’ve  an issue with my i30 2014 1.8 trophy edition. It’s cranking but unable to stray. Even tried jump start it but not working so I believe it’s other issues. Anyone has idea what seems to be the issues? And any good service centre to recommend (either independent or authorized Hyundai)? I’ve ruled out Yarra Hyundai as their wait time is 6 weeks! Omg.
  • I30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Model: 2014 1.8 trophy
I’ve  an issue with my i30 2014 1.8 trophy edition. It’s cranking but unable to stray. Even tried jump start it but not working so I believe it’s other issues. Anyone has idea what seems to be the issues? And any good service centre to recommend (either independent or authorized Hyundai)? I’ve ruled out Yarra Hyundai as their wait time is 6 weeks! Omg.
What was the warranty expiry if it's 2014 model? Does the tacho move when cranked?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Lolavolta

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria
I think warranty is over as I bought this car second hand. Also i didn't notice the tacho moves when i start the car.
  • I30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I think warranty is over as I bought this car second hand. Also i didn't notice the tacho moves when i start the car.
That's a shame although if it has full history or dealer servicing  sometimes it's worth trying out of wty claim. Anyway, if you can upload a video of the tach while cranking but if it's not moving at all this could have a bad crank sensor.

You could imagine how hard it would be to diagnose this on a web page. Breaking down the basics, fuel air spark . any of those missing it's not going to run.

assuming air / compression are normal, leaves spark or fuel. On the fuel side , fuel pump could be a suspect, If you can smell un burnt fuel after long periods of cranking or if a spark plug was removed and is wet or smells of fuel, then that would indicate fuel present, no spark.

You could also squirt a small amount of carby or brake cleaner into the intake and if it fired that would suggest spark but missing fuel.

If spark is an issue, then it could be a range of things, plugs , coilpacks, computer, sensors. If it's getting fuel, no fire at all then I'd be looking at crank / cam sensors , Computer.

Unless you have the diagnostic tools it's trial and error. Any decent garage with good scan tools should be able to see what signals are present, may even be a fault code logged.

can't help with the mechanic suggestions, Dealer will have the tools but not always the most economic path to take. problem here is having someone who knows how to diagnose correctly and not just throwing parts at it sticking you with the bill.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Here's a video for an Elantra in the US.  Only thing here is the TACH is dead, long crank, eventually fires up and he says it can run on default with no crank sensor, but it also says if no tach at crank check the crank sensor.

maybe you'll spot some similarity in the video on the tacho. :question:

:link: 2014 Hyundai Elantra Intermittent Stalling P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit - YouTube

Other thing to maybe check is what the immobiliser symbol is doing, think it's normally an amber key symbol in the cluster. It blinks when there's an issue I believe.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
First port of call would be, is the key code being recognised?

Plenty here for OP to read.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
First port of call would be, is the key code being recognised?

Plenty here for OP to read.

Cheers Gazza!   :evil: I'd forgotten about that. Lola, if the immobilizer light (orange key symbol ) is staying illuminated constantly the key barrel immobilizer might not be detecting your key. I think that's how it works?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
thats about it, usually key symbol flashes on and off and then disappears altogether.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Lolavolta

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria
I’ve taken a video of it but have no idea where to upload it.
  • I30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Good question, ah, I don't know either but you could youtube it and share link publicly, that's what I do, could be other options, not that savvy with todays media options.

Offline Lolavolta

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria
:link: Hyundai i3 not starting up - YouTube

Here’s the link.  Managed to upload it onto YouTube. :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 08:25:03 by tw2005 »
  • I30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I just fixed it for you, simply copy and paste the link

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Maybe a few more starts or longer , sounds a bit weird on crank but then I see the tach pulse once then just die.

Shall wait and see what the great debate brings from anyone else @nzenigma

Offline Lolavolta

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria
I noticed the engine and battery icons were blinking.....  :Shocked:
  • I30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
On the initial crank , tach rises and seems it partially fires then tacho dies.  I'd like to say for sure it's a crank sensor, but I can't.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I noticed the engine and battery icons were blinking.....  :Shocked:
No, I don't think either of those lamps indicate anything other than what would be normal when cranking.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Yes, but they blink just as the tacho flicks up and the engine seems to briefly fire.

Lets say That MIL on may indicate a fault .....MIL  off  =fault clears briefly.

Immobilisor recognises key code. so we move on.

At this stage I would be replacing the crank sensor.... especially given past history. Then cam sensor .

Quick addition:
I had some thought about lack of fuel pressure.
However, think from memory, the tacho will flicker while the motor is being cranked over.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 23:59:24 by nzenigma »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Yes, but they blink just as the tacho flicks up and the engine seems to briefly fire.

Lets say That MIL on may indicate a fault .....MIL  off  =fault clears briefly.

Immobilisor recognises key code. so we move on.

At this stage I would be replacing the crank sensor.... especially given past history. Then cam sensor .

Quick addition:
I had some thought about lack of fuel pressure.
However, think from memory, the tacho will flicker while the motor is being cranked over.
Gazza, I must be blind or missing something but I see no blinking . Crank 1, engine light extinguishes on crank and when it momentarily fires bumping the RPM up just enough for the ALT light to go out.

Crank 2, The engine again extinguishes on crank but with no firing like the first attempt the crank speed alone is inadequate to put the ALT light out.

Or are there some other symbols winking that I am not spotting? :crazy2:

Offline Lolavolta

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria
Does this rule out other issues other than crank sensor?
  • I30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Does this rule out other issues other than crank sensor?

My Opinion:

absolutely impossible to diagnose with 100% certainty without methodically eliminating what is and what is not present  with the right scantools or test equipment.

I think the fact that it very briefly fires suggests there is fuel and spark momentarily and the tach was also moving at that point. Then it's dead and the tach is also dead, that makes the crank sensor a suspect.

You could take a gamble and if you know someone capable get a crank sensor and replace it in hope. Or maybe there's a good mobile mechanic who can diagnose it quickly and accurately.

Could even be a bad connector although they're generally sealed.

What's the plan of attack?

If you have someone look at it they're going to do their own fault finding

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Lola.

Gerards idea about the mobile mechanic is not a bad one. Whoever you use I guess it won't hurt to have a few points from this thread jotted down to help them with their diagnosis. By showing them you have done some research, it also discourages them from trying to take advantage of someone who is not mechanically minded. :cool:

Offline Lolavolta

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria
I've got it towed to a service centre and they will diagnose it tomorrow. Will keep everyone posted on what seems to be the issue and thank you very much for the input/suggestions.
  • I30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've got it towed to a service centre and they will diagnose it tomorrow. Will keep everyone posted on what seems to be the issue and thank you very much for the input/suggestions.

Finger crossed it is something simple and cheap to fix. We look forward to the update.  :goodjob:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
We always enjoy hearing the resolution. Helps to build case studies and broaden our knowledge. Having that video is awesome because everyone can have their own interpretation  but the symptoms in that video are raw data how it exactly is   :goodjob2:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :wss: :whsaid:

Gazza, I must be blind or missing something but I see no blinking . Crank 1, engine light extinguishes on crank and when it momentarily fires bumping the RPM up just enough for the ALT light to go out.

Wink , blink, flicker. = same thing.  Engine remained dead when cranked. But the one anomaly was that brief flicker of the tacho.

Given that we sit behind a computer, not the motor,  that flicker is the only piece of evidence we have to work with.

Shared Best GUESS, crank sensor

Offline Lolavolta

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria
Car is at the service centre for diagnose today. Let's see the issues... thanks all for the feedback.
  • I30

Offline Lolavolta

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria
Guess what guys... had my car diagnosed today. Turned out to be an ecu issue. Current car’s ecu needed an upgrade! Apparently this is more recent on the ecu upgrade. On hind side, I’m glad there is no serious issue.
  • I30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Guess what guys... had my car diagnosed today. Turned out to be an ecu issue. Current car’s ecu needed an upgrade! Apparently this is more recent on the ecu upgrade. On hind side, I’m glad there is no serious issue.

So no charge? Is it fixed?  :confused:

Offline Lolavolta

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria
Only $4.40 tram ride to the city. Haha fixed for now and I hope nothing crop up.  :crazy1:
  • I30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal