i30 Owners Club

Front located intercooler i30 FD

Offline Indalsman

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Sundsvall
I have been thinking long about fitting a new intercooler in the front but it seems to be a little tricky with the space.

Have seen pictures of the intercooler from the Saab 900 94-98 and it should be possible to fit down there so it cools better or what do you think?

I attach some pictures and you will see what it looks like behind the bumper plastic.

Here you see all the space that the air has to pass on to the original intercooler.

Down here, I thought that Saab intercooler would take place.

What do you think? Do you think it's a good idea?

Thumbnails not working but click on the pictures so you will see the pictures! (No viruses I guarantee!)

Offline Indalsman

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Sundsvall

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hey Indalsman

My anti virus program block your links, so can't see the pictures.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I see the pics after I click on the icons, but why do you want to add the SAAB device. Do you have any research to support the alteration. :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Hey Indalsman

My anti virus program block your links, so can't see the pictures.
Same here
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Click on the white squares, worked for me.

Offline Indalsman

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Sundsvall
I cant say why your programs deny you too se the pics but you has to click on the squares to see the picture.

Why switch to an Saab cooler is to get more efficency from it perhaps? If it will be placed more in the center of the air strem it should be more efficent.

I want mooooore horse power in this little korean car!!! I know that this maybe isent the right way but maybe with some more changes it wouldnt be so bad, or what do you think?

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Indalsman,personally I would have liked to have seen a larger intercooler on the I30 and In a far better position to a clear airflow from the outside
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I think you should be advised by a performance tuning expert before spending any money. I am not one of those, however these are my thoughts.

- You will not achieve a greater amount of air by placing the cooler in a different location, in fact I expect it would be reduced. The heat exchanger requires a clear air path for air to flow quickly through the fins. Any obstruction behind the cooler will impede the flow of air, reducing it's efficiency. This is why there is nothing directly behind the existing design.

- Although intercoolers are beneficial, the speed at which air is passing through the cooler causes only a small increase in power. Imagine a virtual feather passing through the system. It passes from intake through to the combustion chamber very quickly.

- Any alteration to the length and diameter of the intake tubing will alter the pressure dynamics that the current engine is designed for. You may harm the turbo or the engine.

These are just my thoughts, something for you to consider. We have engine building members, hopefully some of them may care to guide you on your quest for power.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal