i30 Owners Club

Air bag light on, and throttle stuck wide open

Offline wheeler

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Monash, Vic
Well! More issues with my 2010 I30CW Diesal Auto.  After having had the steering column replaced :link: ESC and PS fail, and a major service, the latest issue at 43,000 km is that the airbag light came on, and after shutting the motor down, the throttle stuck wide open.  Roadside service fiddled with linkages under the bonnet, and the throttle came unstuck.  The Hyundai dealership explanation for the issues (after an hour on the computer) is a weak battery, or a clip in the steering column broken ($1300 worth).  Wanted me to replace the (original) battery as a first step.  I declined, and have now had the battery tested by RACV as OK.

The dealership cleared the fault from the car's systems, and I am monitoring to detect any further malfunction.   The warning light is out, and the throttle behaving normally.   (note: definately not caused by my hand controls, which connect mechanically to the accelerator pedal, and this linkage was the first thing I checked.)

I am still wondering what might have caused the faults.  Any ideas?
  • 2010 I30CW diesel auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Jeepers! Hope full throttle didn't cause damage to the engine.

I'm no mechanic so no way I could diagnose it by remote control.

Hopefully others may have some advice.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline wheeler

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Monash, Vic
Fortunately was able to shut the motor down quickly, would have only been on the limiter for a second.  But started it several times, and switched off immediately the revs went up.  Was just lucky it happened on arrival at home.
  • 2010 I30CW diesel auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 Sounds like a fault caused by the original steering complaint. Most likely won't happen ever again.  :Good_luck:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal