Brief Test of 110 PS I30 CRDi

AlanHo · 7 · 3421

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My car was at the dealers today because the direction indicator beeper they fitted last month had developed an intermittent fault. The loan car was a 2013 i30 CRDi 110PS Active blue drive.

During the day I did just over 80 miles in the car - 30% urban and 70% motorway/main roads after setting the trip recorders to zero. It averaged 57.3 mpg (5.0 l/100km) and 48 mph whilst in my hands and felt little different to my present car which has the 128PS engine.

I concluded - subjectively - that it performed as well as my car and my previous one (both 2012/2013 i30 CRDi Style 128PS) - with plenty of grunt - and it leaves me wondering whether there is all that much difference between the two engines.  In the UK if you want the Style model to obtain the extra bells and whistles like climate control, auto headlights, auto wipers etc you get the 128PS engine - the Active model which is £1000 cheaper gets the 110PS engine.

My message to forum members is that you are not missing out on anything obvious if you have a 110PS engine - rather than the 128PS one - other than perhaps bragging rights.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thanks alan for the comparison,

Wonder whether you can answer this:
Do either cars have any markings to indicate which PS it is?

If not then only the driver will know which they are driving.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Thanks alan for the comparison,

Wonder whether you can answer this:
Do either cars have any markings to indicate which PS it is?

If not then only the driver will know which they are driving.

I cannot answer your question with confidence.

But read post #11 in this thread...https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=22212.msg237193#msg237193

It appears that some cars have a sticker inside the drivers A pillar with the model designation. In the case of my previous car the sticker was definitely wrong and the dealer checked the Hyundai computer records to satisfy himself that the car did indeed have the 128PS engine. It was self evident it was the Style model and not the Active model because of the equipment fitted. The 2012 i30 Style was available with a choice of both engines for a while - but the Active was limited to the 110PS engine

My new 2013 car lacks a sticker but is definitely the Style model which is only available with the 128PS engine. The 2013 Active model is only available with the 110PS engine so it is easy to tell which diesel is fitted to the 2013 models. (But both models can also have the 1.4 petrol)

However - I could not detect any significant difference in the performance of each engine - so Hyundai could perhaps get away with fitting the wrong one.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
There is only a slight difference in torque so its possible that this would be the reason for not detecting a significant difference in the seat-of-the-pants-ometer.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
AFAIK the maximum torque is 260 Nm @ 1900-2750 rpm in both 110 and 128 PS versions, so you need to push it to near maximum revs to feel the slight difference.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline bryand

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Loughborough
Interesting.  I have a 2011 115 PS model and as far as I can discover, the only difference between these two U2 engines is the mapping.  Mine could do with better 50-70 mph acceleration, so when I get it remapped I'll be looking for about 135 PS.
  • 2011 FD i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline Indalsman

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Sundsvall

I have 128HP engine and I feel as though it is a bit more fun at higher revs, but it's as said a very small difference of them.

GD model also has a rawer engine noise than the FD model so that I miss because I have the FD ...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal