Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I reckon he's lost the plot.  :(

Question is did he ever have one! :whistler:

I wouldn't sacrifice 2" of mine for a full size spare! I need all I can get.. (of boot space that is)

Be interesting to work out how many litres of boot space that equates to, I'm thinking at least 30 litres maybe more! :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi Dazz,
Does the PD have a narrow space saver or is it just narrower in width with a higher profile tyre?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dazz,
Does the PD have a narrow space saver or is it just narrower in width with a higher profile tyre?

Only the SR and SR premium come with the Space saver (skinny) spare which is limited to 80kph. It's because they have IRS (independent rear suspension) which combined with a wide 18" wheel means less than than 395 litre boot space of the other models, which get a full size spare wheel.  :undecided:

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
While using a full sized spare in the SR/SR Premium means lifting the floor height 2", you gain those two inches of space around the edges of the tyre under the raised floor.  That's handy space for small odds and sods you carry every day, like a compressor, extra tools, etc.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

While using a full sized spare in the SR/SR Premium means lifting the floor height 2", you gain those two inches of space around the edges of the tyre under the raised floor.  That's handy space for small odds and sods you carry every day, like a compressor, extra tools, etc.

Bob
Oh true. Good point Bob! BTW, Do you get the same Hankook Tyres as me on the Premium?  My eagle eyed mate noticed Cadogan was handling a wheel with a  Continental Tyre on it!!!

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30

Bob
Oh true. Good point Bob! BTW, Do you get the same Hankook Tyres as me on the Premium?  My eagle eyed mate noticed Cadogan was handling a wheel with a  Continental Tyre on it!!!

Re tyres, @Dazzler, we got the Hankooks.  Had them on the GD Premium CRDi that my daughter now has.  Replaced them with the same tyres as they were the best value for money at the time. They're up to the 3rd set now with the car ticking over 100k km a week or so ago.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
All the space savers I have seen have a lower rolling diameter than the road wheels.
To me that can't be good, especially on the drive train.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I better try not to get a puncture then!

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Just imagine all the stuff you'd have to take out of your boot to get at the spare. Then trying to put it all back on top of a flat tyre which is 2" higher than the one you took out.  :crazy1: :happydance: :rofl:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
All the space savers I have seen have a lower rolling diameter than the road wheels.
To me that can't be good, especially on the drive train.

Good point.

Just did a comparison:  the fitted 225/40R18 have a circumference of 2000mm and the spacesaver circumference is 1903mm.  That's a difference of 97mm. No wonder you can't do more than 80kph. It would play havoc with the stability control (might want to turn that off).   I wouldn't like the idea of fitting the space saver to the front (drive and steering wheels) of the vehicle.  Braking would also be compromised.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Food for thought. . Hope I don't choke on it!

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Just imagine all the stuff you'd have to take out of your boot to get at the spare. Then trying to put it all back on top of a flat tyre which is 2" higher than the one you took out.  :crazy1: :happydance: :rofl:

Back in my youth, had boot full , back seat  and floor full of holiday gear and stuff.
HT Holden had  cross -ply spare tyre. Got a flat rear -245/60 on 8" wide alloys - would NOT fit in the space - ended up on front bench seat between girl friend - ( wife ) and me . Only had  50 kms to go.
Funny now but not at the time .   :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Ahhh, Cross ply tyres   --them were the good old days. :D
I can remember discussions about the danger changing to the new radial things. :spitty:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Back in my youth, had boot full , back seat  and floor full of holiday gear and stuff.
HT Holden had  cross -ply spare tyre. Got a flat rear -245/60 on 8" wide alloys - would NOT fit in the space - ended up on front bench seat between girl friend - ( wife ) and me . Only had  50 kms to go.
Funny now but not at the time .   :lol:

I think it was in the UK a year or two ago. Something similar happened to a couple in a sports car.  The G/F nursed the spare and it exploded. Not sure why it was still inflated?) But the injuries killed her!  :Pout:

Amazing how many die from exploding tyres!

:link: tyre explodes kills woman - Google Search

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ahhh, Cross ply tyres   --them were the good old days. :D
I can remember discussions about the danger changing to the new radial things. :spitty:

My third ever car was an 808 Mazda (pretty ordinary) Apart from being a dog when cold, it had cross ply tyres. I lost control in the wet and did a complete 360 on a corner without hitting anything or anybody...  :sweating: I wasn't even speeding! Went straight in that day and upgraded to a set of new radials..  :goodjob:

BTW. Pretty sure I have a set of brand new steel wheels in my shed from Trish's first CW, so I might get a cheap tyre put on that and make it my spare. I'll keep you posted.  :cool:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Good idea Dazz. Love your car apart from the space saver wheel, That would be the first thing I would change if I was lucky enough to get a PD. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal