i30 Owners Club

Window not responding issue, unclear reason

Offline tomerg22

• 1st Gear

• il Israel
      Tel Aviv District
Hi all,
The issue started suddenly on the drivers window not responding and stuck open, one minute it worked and then not.
I got stressed because it was stuck on the open position so I took apart the switches board to look, didin't see anything problematic there.
Then I locked the car with the alarm remote and the window closed as usual, no problem.
The next thing I did was to meausre the voltage on the window motor connector while pressing the switch, and surprisingly the voltage was correct, it was +12/-12 accordiong to the direction of the switch.
Still the window doesn't respond but at least its stuck closed.
Any ideas what can be the origin of this issue?

Thanks.

• I30 CW

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
I had a similar issue with my drivers switch not working intermittently on the front passenger side, passenger side switch worked fine. Pulled the drivers switch and inspected, all looked fine. Googled around, seemed like a common issue but one post said to clean the switch out with electrical cleaner. So thought it was cheap and worth a shot, and it worked perfectly.

i pulled the switch out of the door and pulled the circuit board out of the switch to do it so i could blow it as close as possible into the contacts behind the plastic switch covers, i would suggest doing the same. I think there may be a youtube tutorial somewhere showing you how to pull it all apart.
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Petrol 1.6 Auto Red

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Good move, @Pnut. The giveaway is one switch working while the other isn't. The same thing happens to alarm button panels and even some computer keyboards. A bit of a cleanse of the electrical switch contact pads will make them good as new. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
I have just taken all the switches apart because the rear and passenger side switches were intermittent or none responsive. The contacts were all covered in dirt and once cleaned they were perfect, but with the drivers main switch controls I couldn’t clean the contacts for the intermittent working of the rear windows because the casing looks like it is soldered onto the board. Has anyone managed to successfully clean the main switch controls?

Issue  1 - Neither rear passenger window switches were working. Solved by stripping and cleaning contacts

Issue 2 - front passenger switch would work to put the window up but not down . Solved by cleaning

Issue 3 - drivers side switches are ok for for drivers window and front passenger but very intermittent on both rear windows especially closing them. I have tried to clean them by blowing and using a soft brush, but with the dirt I saw on the other switches on the contacts it would be impossible to fully clean
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 13:08:45 by StokeyBry »
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Issue 3 - drivers side switches are ok for for drivers window and front passenger but very intermittent on both rear windows especially closing them. I have tried to clean them by blowing and using a soft brush, but with the dirt I saw on the other switches on the contacts it would be impossible to fully clean
I'm trying to visualise the construction of the switches.
Is there any gap at all for a thin wire or needle to poke into the contact space?
Anything that can lightly scratch the surfaces should be of benefit.

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hey thanks for the reply, the switch is back in place now but the closest picture I could find is this one It’s from an FD but the switch design is almost identical.

There is clips holding the cover in place but the solder would prevent it from pulling off.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
From looking at those, I'd be confident enough to desolder the switches to can get directly at the contacts, then solder them back in. I'm not saying you should have the same confidence, though.

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
I just cleaned mine with electrical cleaner, i blasted the spray nozzle into the switches through every gap i could find and it cleaned it out good and proper. I looked for ways to pull it apart but nothing seemed easy without risk of breaking the plastic, but the spray seemed to clean where needed so didnt bother.
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Petrol 1.6 Auto Red

Offline tomerg22

• 1st Gear

• il Israel
      Tel Aviv District
Hi all,
Thanks for your replies, I have some updates on this issue.
I replaced the entire switchboard and the motor and still the issue persists.
What I noticed is that the motor voltage on the left side door is slightly lower than right one, 11.5 vs 12.5.
When I replaced the motor, I tried to operate it while outside of the door, still no movement.

Is there some voltage/power regulating element that may the cause for this or another idea?
Can it be related to the alarm/lock that controls the window up?
  • I30 CW

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Did you replace the wiring between control and left motor? A 1V drop looks like excessive path resistance. Check wiring and connectors.

Offline tomerg22

• 1st Gear

• il Israel
      Tel Aviv District

I didn't try that yet, I'll look into it, I'll try to understand how difficult it is going through the door, rehooking the connector, etc.
  • I30 CW

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Hey thanks for the reply, the switch is back in place now but the closest picture I could find is this one It’s from an FD but the switch design is almost identical.

There is clips holding the cover in place but the solder would prevent it from pulling off.

That is a crappy looking soldering from the factory.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
That is a crappy looking soldering from the factory.

The picture was from a member of this forum who repaired a broken switch.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal