i30 Owners Club

Is there a way to auto close sunroof when you turn the engine off ?

Offline Johnmiceter

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi, just wondering is there anyway to auto close the sunroof when you turn the engine off or maybe close the sunroof by the keyfob? I just bought a i30 sr premium and keep leaving it opened when I turn the car off and I keep having to turn it back on to close the sunroof all the time.

I had another car with a sunroof and when you turned the engine off it closed automatically and also had a way to close it with the keyfob.

Also, is there a way for the recycled air button to stay on ? I normally leave this on in all cars I drive so you dont smell all the car fumes and things from the outside and in the i30, it turns off after about 1 min and cant seem to get it to stay on. Is mine broken or something ?
  • i30 SR Premium PD

Offline Pappy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
Hi,

I think you are able to close all windows and the sunroof by holding down the lock button on the remote control - this is only for the PD SR Premium.
I haven't tested the sunroof closing, but will try and let you know.

You can also open all windows by holding down the unlock button on the remote control.
If this doesn't work, get the Hyundai service department to enable this at next service.
Again, this is only for the PD SR Premium.
  • MY18 PD SR Premium (Polar White)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
This rings a bell. I wondered about just how smart Mrs G's PD SR Premium might be and asked her to check with Hy at her complimentary first service.
They said it couldn't be done. I, being such a trusting soul, tried it anyway and I got windows to work (can't remember about the sunroof) just as @Pappy said.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Johnmiceter

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi,

I think you are able to close all windows and the sunroof by holding down the lock button on the remote control - this is only for the PD SR Premium.
I haven't tested the sunroof closing, but will try and let you know.

You can also open all windows by holding down the unlock button on the remote control.
If this doesn't work, get the Hyundai service department to enable this at next service.
Again, this is only for the PD SR Premium.

I just tried this again to see if it would work by holding down the unlock for about 10 secs and nothing happened on mine. So is this another feature that has to be enabled by Hyundai ? I also found out that there is a setting for the recycled air button to stay on, but Hyundai has to enable it.

This being my first Hyundai I've noticed Hyunda had a few strange settings that aren't enabled. I mean who wouldn't want the recycled button to stay on if they push it and the windows to go auto down and up by holding the button down? And it makes me think there is something in the settings for the sunroof, as every car I have owned the sunroof either auto closes when the engine is switched off or has a way to close it with the keyfob.
  • i30 SR Premium PD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yep, looks like a call to the dealer. :goodjob:

Offline Johnmiceter

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Im also in the Hyundai i30 group on Facebook and been talking to a few people today and apparently the sunroof to close with the keyfob can be activated at the dealer. Also for those that have ever wanted to turn the Recycled air button so it stays on, if you hold the recycled button for 3 secs it will stay on instead of turning off all the time.

I did it tonight, but havent driven the car, so cant 100% confirm this yet. I know for me (as I have the sr premium with the sunroof) when I have the sunroof open or a window down, after about 1 min the recycled air button will switch off and its annoying.
  • i30 SR Premium PD

Offline Pappy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
Just tested my key fob...

- Pressing and holding the unlock button will open all windows (this had to be enabled by the service dept - had it done ages ago)
- Pressing and holding the lock button will only close the windows - but not the sunroof.

At the next service will ask for the sunroof closing via key fob to be activated - suspect will probably get told it's not possible though.

Offline Johnmiceter

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Just tested my key fob...

- Pressing and holding the unlock button will open all windows (this had to be enabled by the service dept - had it done ages ago)
- Pressing and holding the lock button will only close the windows - but not the sunroof.

At the next service will ask for the sunroof closing via key fob to be activated - suspect will probably get told it's not possible though.

I was told this by Hyundai also, but don't you find it strange the sunroof doesn't auto close when the engine is turned off or no option to do it with the keyfob? I mean who would want to leave it opened when you lock the car and so many times I just forget about it when hopping out of the car, because every other car I've had with a sunroof does have this feature.

But I was told by a member he had his sunroof activated by Hyundai so it closes and my Hyundai hasn't been honest to me about other features so far, so maybe I have to go to another Hyundai dealer or hopefully one of you find out for sure.
  • i30 SR Premium PD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

I don't think dealers are being dishonest, John, except about their knowledge. Like I said, ours said remote locking couldn't be done and then I tested it and it was already enabled. Some dealers have trouble keeping up. Call around other dealers and get confirmation they know on the phone before visiting.

Offline Johnmiceter

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I don't think dealers are being dishonest, John, except about their knowledge. Like I said, ours said remote locking couldn't be done and then I tested it and it was already enabled. Some dealers have trouble keeping up. Call around other dealers and get confirmation they know on the phone before visiting.

Well last time I had my car serviced I asked them to check all the settings I mentioned and they said none of them can be activated. But if they looked in the settings, wouldn't they be able to see it for themselves? Its like they didnt look, because the 2nd time I asked them about the window feature (which others have confirmed in here and also in the Facebook group) and they said they have never heard of it, but if they looked in the settings they should have seen it hey.

So maybe they just can't be bothered to even check the settings.
  • i30 SR Premium PD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Well last time I had my car serviced I asked them to check all the settings I mentioned and they said none of them can be activated. But if they looked in the settings, wouldn't they be able to see it for themselves? Its like they didnt look, because the 2nd time I asked them about the window feature (which others have confirmed in here and also in the Facebook group) and they said they have never heard of it, but if they looked in the settings they should have seen it hey.

I was tempted to include laziness when mentioning lack of knowledge. Looks like I should have.

Offline Johnmiceter

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I was tempted to include laziness when mentioning lack of knowledge. Looks like I should have.

Haha yeah. But seriously, these should be active from the start. I mean who wouldn't want to be able to open and close the windows from the keyfob and if you can close the sunroof. Also their choice of turning the recycled air button off automatically after a certain amount of time, is the stupidest thing ever. Its a button and mean to be pushed on or off for which ever way you want it lol
  • i30 SR Premium PD

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
But I was told by a member he had his sunroof activated by Hyundai so it closes

Can we confirm this is the case and on which model?  I had to insisted to the service dept to enable the close/open window via FOB - and after being told it isn't possible twice - I went and talked to the sale rep who investigated and told  the service dept where to enable it.  Either they r Lazy or they don't know what they don't know.
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Pappy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
Hi,

This is the document I used when I asked the service dept to enable the window open feature via key fob, basically had to prove the point!

It's from the i30 brochure in 2018 and clearly states "Convenience opening/closing function with remote - all windows".

Hope this may help anyone trying to get this feature activated on their SR Premium/Elite/Premium versions.

Offline Pappy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
Im also in the Hyundai i30 group on Facebook and been talking to a few people today and apparently the sunroof to close with the keyfob can be activated at the dealer. Also for those that have ever wanted to turn the Recycled air button so it stays on, if you hold the recycled button for 3 secs it will stay on instead of turning off all the time.

I did it tonight, but havent driven the car, so cant 100% confirm this yet. I know for me (as I have the sr premium with the sunroof) when I have the sunroof open or a window down, after about 1 min the recycled air button will switch off and its annoying.

Hi - found this in the manual...

To cancel or set the Automatic
Ventilation
When the air conditioning system is
on, select Face Level mode and
press the recirculated air position
button for three seconds.
When the automatic ventilation is set,
the air intake control button (recirculated
air position) indicator will blink 6
times. When cancelled, the air intake
control button (recirculated air position)
indicator will blink 3 times.

Not sure if this will cancel the sunroof automatically changing the re-circulation mode.

Offline Johnmiceter

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Hi - found this in the manual...

To cancel or set the Automatic
Ventilation
When the air conditioning system is
on, select Face Level mode and
press the recirculated air position
button for three seconds.
When the automatic ventilation is set,
the air intake control button (recirculated
air position) indicator will blink 6
times. When cancelled, the air intake
control button (recirculated air position)
indicator will blink 3 times.

Not sure if this will cancel the sunroof automatically changing the re-circulation mode.
Thanks Pappy, its strange how you got to do this trick for the recirculation button to stay on instead of just pushing it on and off yourself hey. Im going for a drive now so will test it out. Hopefully it stays on for good and doesnt turn off when I open the sunroof or I have to do this everytime I go for a drive.

I just tried this and when I open my sunroof it does stay on but when I turn the car off and on again it doesnt stay on when you reopen the sunroof. Pretty stupid from Hyundai if you ask me. Might as well not even have that button if that dont let you keep it on.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 07:54:40 by Johnmiceter »
  • i30 SR Premium PD

Offline Johnmiceter

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I still haven't found a way to auto close the sunroof which sucks as I always seem to leave it opened when turning the engine off.

I did find out that my car does wind the windows up by holding down the lock button after the engine is off, which is nice though which is enabled by default on the sr premium pd. Just doesn't make sense why the sunroof isn't included when doing this.

I wish I could find a way to auto close it :undecided:
  • i30 SR Premium PD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If you're willing to hack the system you could do some signal tracing and slave the sunroof close signal to the window up signal via a relay.

Offline Johnmiceter

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
When I was speaking to someone from someone on a Hyundai group in Facebook, he said this "It is not a setting in my software, just a hexadecimal value enabled"

I dont know what that means but maybe someone else on here does?
  • i30 SR Premium PD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
"... not a setting in my software, just a hexadecimal value enabled"
If it's true, that isn't something you can change as the driver through  the options screen but can be changed in reprogramming by factory or dealer updates. In other words, a single value in program memory is being used as a switch to enable this function. Even the dealer techs may not be sure of how to do this.

Hexadecimal is a base 16 number system with each column in any given number holding a value from 0 to F, as in 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F, giving 16 possible values. Hence 25, for instance, is expressed as 19 (16+9).

This is common in expressing digital values which are binary at their native level, either 0 or 1, so decimal (base 10) 2 is shown as 10, and decimal 25 as 11001. Every set of four binary columns can be 'abbreviated' to hex, so 11001 is 1(16) and 1001(9).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 15:50:47 by The Gonz »

Offline Johnmiceter

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
"... not a setting in my software, just a hexadecimal value enabled"
If it's true, that isn't something you can change as the driver through  the options screen but can be changed in reprogramming by factory or dealer updates. In other words, a single value in program memory is being used as a switch to enable this function. Even the dealer techs may not be sure of how to do this.

Hexadecimal is a base 16 number system with each column in any given number holding a value from 0 to F, as in 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F, giving 16 possible values. Hence 25, for instance, is expressed as 19 (16+9).

This is common in expressing digital values which are binary at their native level, either 0 or 1, so decimal (base 10) 2 is shown as 10, and decimal 25 as 11001. Every set of four binary columns can be 'abbreviated' to hex, so 11001 is 1(16) and 1001(9).

Im just wondering what the actual manufacturers were thinking when they made this. They thought yep people don't want their sunroof closed when the engine turns off. But hey, we will enable a feature to wind the windows up buy holding down the lock function on the keyfob, but stuff adding one for the sunroof  :head_butt:

I dont think I could add a relay switch what you mentioned earlier (im not very techy) just wish there was a simple way to do it. Im sure they could reprogram it easy (or someone could that had access to the dealer settings) but they probably wouldn't want to go to the effort.
  • i30 SR Premium PD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I dont think I could add a relay switch what you mentioned earlier (im not very techy) just wish there was a simple way to do it. Im sure they could reprogram it easy (or someone could that had access to the dealer settings) but they probably wouldn't want to go to the effort.
If it were me, I'd find the wire that sends the close command to the sunroof. Then I'd find the wire that sends the close command to the windows. Especially if it takes the same or less time to close the sunroof as windows, I would then drive a relay off the window command to switch in the sunroof command. The result will be that every time you put your windows up, your sunroof will close, even from inside the car. With this done, I could add a switch to turn this new feature on and off so I'd have the option either way.

Offline Johnmiceter

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
If it were me, I'd find the wire that sends the close command to the sunroof. Then I'd find the wire that sends the close command to the windows. Especially if it takes the same or less time to close the sunroof as windows, I would then drive a relay off the window command to switch in the sunroof command. The result will be that every time you put your windows up, your sunroof will close, even from inside the car. With this done, I could add a switch to turn this new feature on and off so I'd have the option either way.

Dam i wish you were in Brisbane i would come to you haha.
  • i30 SR Premium PD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal