i30 Owners Club

Window Tint: Before I Take the Plunge ...

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
OK, team, I'm 24 hours from possibly having Firty's windows darkened with Octane at Tint-A-Car Port Adelaide for $395.

This came on the back of choosing one for Mrs G's PD 130 SR Premium which she'll aim to have done next week.

After having done this much legwork, I decided "Why not both cars?"

My question is: is Octane "Darkest Legal Tint" the product of choice or is there something glaringly (I'm a punny guy) better?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
OK, team, I'm 24 hours from possibly having Firty's windows darkened with Octane at Tint-A-Car Port Adelaide for $395.

This came on the back of choosing one for Mrs G's PD 130 SR Premium which she'll aim to have done next week.

After having done this much legwork, I decided "Why not both cars?"

My question is: is Octane "Darkest Legal Tint" the product of choice or is there something glaringly (I'm a punny guy) better?

Pretty sure I've had octane at least once, maybe more. I have seen it recommended and used a number of times on here. I'm thinking that $395 is top $ though. For two at once I would have thought you could bet it back to $300 or at least $350 per car.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Do a search for Octane in Exterior mods on the site (advanced search - Hopefully this link works) and as I suspected, lots of hits including mentions by me of having used it.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Gonz that’s the same tint I also used, I went one shade darker than legal on the front windows so they match the rears.

Looks much nicer when they all match, hopefully you can visualise back to when you were in mine for first hand experience  :)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think it was $370 I paid at the time so your quote is about right having more glass, though as Dazz mentioned with two cars there should be some discount.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Speak of the devil, Tint a Car just sent me a message about their EOFY sale, 40% off - $495 now $295 :D

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :faint:

I'll look them up back in Melbourne then. :victory:

The Port Adelaide guys have a 3 week backlog and offered $700 for both cars. Sounds like I can do better. :lol:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hi Fernando,

Thank you for your email.

To tint your Hyundai i-30 in the darkest legal tint would be $265.00 .  This includes a FREE Pick-up and Delivery Service.

We can also provide you with a Courtesy Loan car.  The turn-around time from pick up to delivery is approximately 3 hours.

Branches, Ringwood, Reservoir, Sunshine, Dandenong, Moorabbin.

Our tint will provide you with 99.9% UV protection, 70% heat reduction and 72% sun glare as well as a Lifetime Warranty.

The darkest legal tint is 35%.  This film also has 50% Sun Smart Factor, UVA & UVB Block-out.

Thank you

Kind regards,

John

Fast Quotes… Low Prices… Lifetime Warranty

Follow us on Instagram! @1800happytint

Like us on Facebook! facebook.com/gethappygettinted

CALL:     1800 427 798

EMAIL:   john@happytint.com.au

WEB:      www.happytint.com.au

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You must be happy now.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I heard Melbourne was better for happy endings than Adelaide.  :victory:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:happydance:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
What brand of tint do they use?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@The Gonz $265 is a good price, I thought you wanted the Octane for the darker look though :confused: are you going to get a shade darker on front to match rear?

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I thought it was Octane on their website. I'll have to check the factory tint on Firty for this difference you mention.  :confused:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I thought it was Octane on their website. I'll have to check the factory tint on Firty for this difference you mention.  :confused:
Tint a Car are the sole retailer/installers for Octane as is all their tints I believe.

Likely you have 35% all round on Firty if you didn't specify using darker tint, your allowed to go a shade darker on rears which is why you will notice so many cars on the road with 35% or lighter tint on the front and darker on the rear though it looks odd imo.

Personally I've always gone the next shade darker on all windows so they match and police never give me a second glance, they dont seem to bother unless you go darker again to limo tint (they dont like that), and I dont go screaming around attracting attention to give them an excuse for something to pick :)

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
I got octane on mine, was $350.00.

I stayed legal allround for insurance reasons.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I went shade darker than legal on the rear window and the little windows in the hatch, legal everywhere else.

They would need to prove that the tint contributed to the accident to void your policy, and testing to court standard would be quite expensive, and even then you might argue you told the bloke who did it for cash to go legal all round....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
I'd prefer to avoid the legal hassle.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Doesn’t seem to bother some of my friends on the force :)

Vision looking out of the vehicle isn’t impaired in any way, it’s only the effect when looking from the outside in.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Does two things, dulls the lights of the car behind at night, and keeps the car a bit cooler during the day.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Vision looking out of the vehicle isn’t impaired in any way, it’s only the effect when looking from the outside in.
Things must have improved in 30 years, back in the day, they loved just to find any justification to issue a machinery ticket if they felt you were a smart arse. I remember having to pay someone to label the tint and a letter to justify they were legal.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Things must have improved in 30 years, back in the day, they loved just to find any justification to issue a machinery ticket if they felt you were a smart arse. I remember having to pay someone to label the tint and a letter to justify they were legal.
The police are more interested in being able to see in than the driver seeing out.  They want to know there's not a big arsed .45 pointing at them from within.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
30 years ago you were likely a hoon (as was I) and that's what the cops look for, then they'll find any reason to keep you off the road...I speak from experience :D
The police are more interested in being able to see in than the driver seeing out.  They want to know there's not a big arsed .45 pointing at them from within.
:rofl:
That's the nice point of only going one shade over, still quite easy to see in during daylight but pretty much blacked out at night time :cool: I always think ahead when coming up to RBT's and wind the windows down before hand :)

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

Yeah iam more thinking of an at fault accident and the insurance assessor denying claim citing illegal window tint.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Yeah iam more thinking of an at fault accident and the insurance assessor denying claim citing illegal window tint.
Cant say I've ever had any claim issues regarding tint though some insurers like Allianz can be real pricks, they'll void your insurance even if you change wheels :disapp:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
30 years ago you were likely a hoon (as was I) and that's what the cops look for, then they'll find any reason to keep you off the road...I speak from experience :D
:rofl:
That's the nice point of only going one shade over, still quite easy to see in during daylight but pretty much blacked out at night time :cool: I always think ahead when coming up to RBT's and wind the windows down before hand :)
:whistler: nothing's changed minus burnouts :crazy2:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

I always think ahead when coming up to RBT's and wind the windows down before hand :)

:whistler: nothing's changed minus burnouts :crazy2:
:lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal