i30 Owners Club

Replacing standard factory stereo with another (working) factory stereo

Offline stezario

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lincolnshire
Hi there,
The stereo in my car (2009) didn't work when I bought the car. I knew and wasn't an issue for me as I would, eventually, get round to sorting it... That time has now come, so my question is (or questions are):

If I were to buy a working stereo (from eBay or a scrap yard) would I need to 'code it to the car'? And what does that mean? Just getting the 4 digit security code or does it involve coding it to the onboard computer?

If I were to get a replacement fascia and get a non-standard aftermarket stereo, probably a JVC for example (nothing fancy, just a radio, cd and Bluetooth) is that (once I've figured out the wiring and added JVC wiring block) just plug in and go? Or would it effect the onboard computer? 

I hope that makes sense and that I've not trod over well worn ground (I did try a quick search prior to posting)

Thanks in advance.
  • 2009 crdi 5 door estate diesel 1.6 manual black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome. You definitely don't have to code any of them to the car. I think in some cases you don't even need a pin number. I haven't actually done it in an i30 so I'll leave others to fill in the details.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I know there is no code required for the GD's, not sure about FD's :undecided: changing to an aftermarket stereo wont affect your ECU.

I think an aftermarket system would be the better choice, especially if you want more modern features like DAB and Apple Car Play/Android Auto, as you've already mentioned the new fascia to suit and the wiring harness and you're good to go :goodjob2:

Offline stezario

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lincolnshire
Thanks both. Someone round my way was selling a cheap stereo so I had that off them, plugged it in (it came with the wiring adapters ready attached) and works fine. So I just need the aerial adapter and a bit of fascia 'adjusting' and I'm good to go.
  • 2009 crdi 5 door estate diesel 1.6 manual black

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal