i30 Owners Club

Brake fluid change ?

pidim · 26 · 10512

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Okay, so I’m tapping this out while waiting for my wife’s Accent to be serviced for its 2 year service (with only 16000km).

I get a call from the workshop that their records show that this model needs a brake fluid at the 2 year mark. I questioned why this was necessary so soon and given it has such low k’s.

He reckons the viscosity deteriorates on this model. I told him I find that hard to understand so I asked him not to do this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or was I being lined up for a stitch upsell?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Okay, so I’m tapping this out while waiting for my wife’s Accent to be serviced for its 2 year service (with only 16000km).

I get a call from the workshop that their records show that this model needs a brake fluid at the 2 year mark. I questioned why this was necessary so soon and given it has such low k’s.

He reckons the viscosity deteriorates on this model. I told him I find that hard to understand so I asked him not to do this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or was I being lined up for a stitch upsell?
Can't see why the car model would have anything to do with the deterioration of the brake fluid viscosity.

Unless there's some fault in the design which lets moisture in more rapidly. Which of course is rubbish.
Or if the brakes ran at constant high pressures (another design fault?)

My daughter's Accent is just coming up to five years old. Brake fluid is fine, despite spending a year in Darwin humidity. Our service agent has an electronic tester.

Edit. I DID replace the brake fluid in my i30 at 3 years - simply because I was still working and we were slow in the workshop that day.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Brake fluid sucks moisture out of the air. It wears down even if you don't drive the car. In my opinion saving money on the brake fluid change is wrong place to do it.

After all, brake fluid is the most important fluid in the car...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Brake fluid sucks moisture out of the air. It wears down even if you don't drive the car. In my opinion saving money on the brake fluid change is wrong place to do it.

Having driven competition cars for more than 20 years, I totally agree with you. But it can be tested these days. My point was that for the dealer to suggest that "the viscosity deteriorates on this model" is (IMHO) blatantly misleading.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

That may be the case, but I think a car with only 15900 kms would not need it yet. The same dealer has never suggested this in the 5yrs I have been servicing my i30 there.

I really believe it’s a try on and they probably would not have changed anything.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Having driven competition cars for more than 20 years, I totally agree with you. But it can be tested these days. My point was that for the dealer to suggest that "the viscosity deteriorates on this model" is (IMHO) blatantly misleading.

I agree with both of you. An easy counter to the assertions by the dealer is buy a test pen on ebay for $6 and periodically check the moisture content. Can do the same thing if you have a multimeter.
Heat from braking can cause viscosity change ( not on this low K's car). A mate races a Ducati and changes the brake fluid after each meeting. Says it gives him 20 sec better time at the next race.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 21:05:34 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I agree with both of you. An easy counter to the assertions by the dealer is buy a test pen on ebay for $6 and periodically check the moisture content. Can do the same thing if you have a multimeter.
Heat from braking can cause viscosity change ( not on this low K's car). A mate races a Ducati and changes the brake fluid after each meeting. Says it gives him 20 sec better time at the next race.
20 seconds/ lap????????? What's he racing around the Isle of Man?
 :) :goodjob2: Fixed
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:08:37 by nzenigma »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Be worth googling hyundai accent brake fluid change and a few other combinations regarding frequency of brake fluid change in hyundai accent etc.. just to see if anything comes up. I think it's probably a try on, but be interested to see if anything comes up about it on the net. Which it would if it was an issue.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Does the manual mention anything about when brake fluid should be changed on that model? my last service "4 year" had the brake fluid changed as recommended in the manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Does the manual mention anything about when brake fluid should be changed on that model? my last service "4 year" had the brake fluid changed as recommended in the manual.
I'll check my daughter's owners' manual later.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Checked from 15,000 up to 75,000.

Each simply says, *Inspect brake/ clutch (if equipped) fluid.

Nowhere else where it mentions brake fluid does it suggest a time or distance period for replacement.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yep same. Checked manual and no such job shown.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
:link: Brake fluid - Wikipedia

"Most automotive professionals agree that glycol-based brake fluid, (DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5.1) should be flushed, or changed, every 1–2 years under non-racing conditions."

Brakefluids are quite cheap and changing it is an easy diy job to do, especially if you have someone help with the pedal while you work with the bleed valve (unless you have modern car with automatic braking systems). The brake system will probably work fine several years without fluid change, but if the moisture starts to rust the brake system from the inside, then it will be a more expensive job.

I'd rather drive a car with bad engine oil than a car with bad brake fluid.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Without checking sure the service schedule say change at 2 years abd 2 years thereafter.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
I changed brake and clutch fluids in 4th year of owning and having 47.000Km.
I went to a friend mechanic and the cost of fluids for the i30 gd was 8euros (dot 4)
and didn't took me nothing for the change although he change them  professionally
(removed all tyres removed all previous fluids  etc).

• hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
My Wife's i10 owners manual says brake fluid change every 2 years, haven't checked my i30

When working @ VW/Skoda the requirement was also every 2 year, no matter milage. This applied all models.

If you want to just test the fluid, do it at the brake caliper, as the fluid in the reservoir always will be the most "fresh" fluid...  :cool:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
If you want to just test the fluid, do it at the brake caliper, as the fluid in the reservoir always will be the most "fresh" fluid...  :cool:

The fluid at the calliper will be the most affected by heat. Given that it is a sealed system, the moisture content  should be constant throughout, save for the reservoir which can be opened to the air.  :cool: er
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I try and change mine every two years regardless of distance or at worst whenever I do pads.

Wait until they charge you for it if it's scheduled but don't actually do it! Mitsubishi dealer tried that one on me a couple of decades ago.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
That's why a cheap ebay tester ( a whole $6) is a worthy aid for that rare handyman who can lift a bonnet.
 Its usual to check moisture content when doing an RWC these days. Also transport dept. have supplied electronic brake function testers to workshops so the % of deceleration cant be fudged..... except most of us figured out how to beat it after a few days use.  :whistler:
Still use them , but its our essential pi$$ov a public servant attitude. :mrgreen:

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
So for something that is clearly a safety issue according to this thread,  why don’t Hyundai even include in ANY service schedule on both i30 and Accent?

... and why do they call it an “optional” (according to my stealer) task if the customer agrees to go ahead with it?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi pidim,
Our GD and a borrowed FD both say "R" every 2 years.
Its not only Hyundai,  blokes at work with Toyota's, Holdens & Ford's have all fell foul to this .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
As Mick says, it is a replacement issue. They will err on the side of caution given average driven KMs per year.
However , I have just bought a 2011 i30 that has only done 24,000Km. The fluid in that car is as new regarding water content..
NOTE; I tested it with my $6 pen . :eek: It was tough, but I managed.  :whistler:

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
This is one of those items which capped price servicing has killed,
I agree with most every 2 years seems about right, but not surprising if you are with a cap price service  ( fixed price) it's only a inspection and during those inspections it always pass, but as soon as you are outside of the fixed price period it will desperately require replacement and suitable invoiced for,

I notice in the service manual that the pollen filter should be replace every service, however they only inspect during the period of cap price serving, so really it's just a case of who is paying for it rather than if it  requires replace or not
  • i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I agree with most every 2 years seems about right, but not surprising if you are with a cap price service  ( fixed price) it's only a inspection and during those inspections it always pass, but as soon as you are outside of the fixed price period it will desperately require replacement and suitable invoiced for,

I notice in the service manual that the pollen filter should be replace every service, however they only inspect during the period of cap price serving, so really it's just a case of who is paying for it rather than if it  requires replace or not

I think you might be right Joe, unfortunately.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I think you might be right Joe, unfortunately.
Definitely.
And i can report that Toyota with its fixed price servicing is the same.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

It seems we are all in agreement, it is unreasonable especially when it is an acknowledged safety issue.

BUT

So for something that is clearly a safety issue according to this thread,  why don’t Hyundai ...
... and why do they call it an “optional” ...?

...  and why don't owners check the fluid THEMSELVES?  Do they check tyre wear anymore?
 Is staying alive too complicated?  :crazy1:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal