i30 Owners Club

Which refinery does the fuel come from?

Guest · 26 · 12785

Instroe
I live in Melbourne, Victoria , Australia. We have a Mobil refinery in Altona and a Shell refinery in Geelong - both within 100 kms. So I can see how the Mobil & Shell service stations get their fuel supplies. However where do the BP and Caltex servo's get their fuel from? The closest BP refinery is Bulwer Island Queensland or Kwinana in WA - >2000kms away, the closest Caltex refinery is Botany Bay in  NSW - approx 900 km's away. Do BP and Caltex truly ship their product from their refineries (in other states) to Melbourne OR do they have a buying agreement with local refineries who supply BP & Caltex tankers with fuel for local distribution? You can't help thinking that shipping it in would be a lot more expensive.
I've seen a Shell tanker offloading bulk fuel to a Mobil service station just outside of Geelong before.
The reason behind the question being - if they supply each other, then who knows what brand you're putting in your tank. ie When you fill up with BP Vortex Premium have you simply put Mobil diesel in your tank? I don't suppose there is much difference between them since they will all have to conform to a minimum spec. However, I would like to hear from anyone with inside knowledge - servo operators etc to get their thoughts.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
They do have suuply arrangements with one another, but I don't know about the fuel types. I guess it's possible they 'refine" to each brand's rquirements but I suspect it's all just in the branding.
Which might make some of the posts on here about the performance of various brands a bit suss.
Do we get what we pay for? Or do we feel good because of the name on the bowser?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Aren't there price differences between the ordinary fuels and premium products. I must admit, it's not something I'd ever thought of. In Adelaide we used to have a Mobil refinery but it's closed so I think we're supplied from Victoria. What refinery or brand is in the tankers, who knows! I always buy standard fuel from high volume outlets to ensure fresh stock. Hasn't done any harm so far.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think AgrentR31 (Ian) works at a Brisbane refinery? He might know??
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I never really thought about it, but I would agree with surferdude.  It would be entirely plausible for the companies to have an agreement where they refine the fuel to the other company's specifications.  The little extra they pay for the refining should be more than compensated for in transport costs. 

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Interesting document, about the only thing we can hope for is that it meets Oz standards. Most of the time, not even refined here. Next time I see a petrol add, I'll laugh.  :fum:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
So from what I can gather from the document (please correct me if I am reading this wrong), standard fuel from one company is the same as standard from another, same with RON 95, 98 (ie. Catlex Vortex 98 is the same as Shell Optimax 98).  I still believe that the companies would specify the requirements for their fuel though (ie. Caltex Vortex Diesel is different to BP standard diesel).

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the 98Ron we use in our 2 i30's always commes from large named service stations and never little independent ones. in all the years Ive fueled our cars up Ive not noticed any difference in quality of the fuel from servo brand.  :confused: Ive always thought the fuel was the same recipe from company to company. IMO.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I'd agree with 2i30s about the fuel from different suppliers.  When I drove a V8 Commodore, I always put RON 98 in it, and couldn't tell the difference from one name brand to the other, but the few times I did fill up with RON 91, there was a noticeable difference in performance and economy.  Premium fuels do make a difference IMO.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'd agree with 2i30s about the fuel from different suppliers.  When I drove a V8 Commodore, I always put RON 98 in it, and couldn't tell the difference from one name brand to the other, but the few times I did fill up with RON 91, there was a noticeable difference in performance and economy.  Premium fuels do make a difference IMO.
:whsaid:  the main reason i prefer not to use little independent servos is that i once filled up with half a tank of water in my old v8 fairlane.  :mad:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Fuel for my area of NW England comes from the Ellesmere Port refinery.

As far as I'm aware they produce fuel for all major petrol companies, shell, BP. Total etc, independents and the supermarkets.

The difference in the fuel will be the additives they put in depending on the brand.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Here is the situation in the U.K.  No doubt similar operations are in place around the world.

http://www.ukpia.com/industry_information/distribution.aspx

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
i have never stuck to a specific brand either, and never noticed a difference,  with my CRDI, the last 4 tanks of fuel have all gone between 1000 km and 1100 km, all 4 tanks were different brands, so no real difference there, some were premium diesel, others, Normal diesel, so again no noticeable difference between premium and normal diesel.

as for my old forester though, it only drank 98 octane being turbo, but again, no real difference between brands, but a big difference when i filled it with 91 when the 98 octane was unavailable in the midle of no-where. also 98 octane with ehthanol destroyed the economy by 25%!  never use that stuff.
though, when it comes to brand loyalty, i will only ever use BP Ultimate 98 in my aircraft, as its the only brand that will provide a written guarantee that it will not contain ethanol.
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Does that mean that other brands of AVGAS could contain ethanol. That would surprise me because ethanol does not have the calorific value of petrol. This means the engine WILL USE MORE FUEL through no fault of the fuel or h the engine. That could have disastrous result on an aircraft's quoted range. How do you get around this issue.  :disapp:

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

Avgas will not have Ethanol in it,  if it did, there would be a lot more engine failures,   fortunately my aircraft is rotax powered and designed to run on 98 Octane Unleaded fuel, and 110 Avgas. though its prefered to use Unleaded, as Avgas is full of lead and requires oil filter and oil change every 25 hrs. whereas with Unleaded i can run to 50 hrs before filter change.
ethanol unfortunatly absorbes water, that can freeze out in cruise and block filters, but worse is the damage is causes to fibreglass and fuel pumps.   fortunatly my aircraft is metal, and would be reasonably tolerant to ethanol,  same cant be said to a few jabiru owners who have had fuel tanks swell up and destroy the wing when they get a dose of Unleaded laced with ethanol.
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Good points.  :goodjob2:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I prefer JetA-1 or AVCAT in my aircraft!! If it don't hover, don't bother!!  :happydance:

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

i have heard that JetA1 and a little 2 stroke oil goes great in diesel engines  :)
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
i have heard that JetA1 and a little 2 stroke oil goes great in diesel engines  :)

AVCAT goes even better, allegedly (it is basically Aviation Diesel that can burn in a GT).

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Fatboy

What device in aviation is diesel.  :question:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Slight topic creep, but AVCAT is Aviation Carrier Turbine fuel.  It has a higher flash point (min 60 deg C) so it can be stored below decks on ships.  Gas Turbines (GT) will burn almost any fuel, but AVCAT has been specifically refined to be used in ship borne aviation GTs.  It will run a normal diesel engine without any additives.  (De-fuelling an aircraft in the old days had the diesel cars and 4wds lined up for a free top up, once the aircraft has been de-fuelled, you can't put it back in)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Gee that's unfortunate isn't it. Thanks.  :goodjob2:

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I live in Melbourne, Victoria , Australia. We have a Mobil refinery in Altona and a Shell refinery in Geelong - both within 100 kms. So I can see how the Mobil & Shell service stations get their fuel supplies. However where do the BP and Caltex servo's get their fuel from? The closest BP refinery is Bulwer Island Queensland or Kwinana in WA - >2000kms away, the closest Caltex refinery is Botany Bay in  NSW - approx 900 km's away. Do BP and Caltex truly ship their product from their refineries (in other states) to Melbourne OR do they have a buying agreement with local refineries who supply BP & Caltex tankers with fuel for local distribution? You can't help thinking that shipping it in would be a lot more expensive.
I've seen a Shell tanker offloading bulk fuel to a Mobil service station just outside of Geelong before.
The reason behind the question being - if they supply each other, then who knows what brand you're putting in your tank. ie When you fill up with BP Vortex Premium have you simply put Mobil diesel in your tank? I don't suppose there is much difference between them since they will all have to conform to a minimum spec. However, I would like to hear from anyone with inside knowledge - servo operators etc to get their thoughts.

I'm in VIC too.

Mobil here mainly manufactures aviation fuel

Shell and mobil produce base petrol.  Every company then takes this fuel (shell and mobil included) and put a little of their own additives in it, and that's the fuel that ends up in the servos.

So BP 95 for example will be shell 95 with a little BP stuff in the mix.  It'll be why some people think their cars run better on certain brands, often they are probably right.

I've heard horror stories about shell v-power and motorbikes.  Why do the bikes not have trouble with other 98RON fel if it's all shell?  Because of the additives

That said I am led to believe from researching that all 98RON fuel here is actually 95RON with claening agents and octane boosting agents.  Apparently in VIC they only refine fuel to 95RON at the refinery.  Just a bit of useless trivia, not sure if it is true or not.

they're all pretty much the same though.  I believe shell v-power has a higher proportion of cleaning agents so I run a tank of that through every now and again.  My previous car had a habit of missing on v-power when it was cold though.  And I found BP ultimate lasted the longest of any fuel I tried, although I'm not scientific about it and it could all be my imagination.

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
also I fly too!

110/LL avgas is on another planet in terms of refining quality and quality control etc when compared to mogas

But aircraft have very different needs.

I've often heard of people running BP Ultimate in aircraft, never seen in in practice though.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Nobody has mentioned biofuel.

The E.U. permits up to 7% biofuel in diesel and pumps are marked B7.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal