Microsoft: Windows 9 'Will Launch In 2015

eye30 · 25 · 4267

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Microsoft is reportedly on course to ditch its troubled Windows 8 operating system in 2015.

According to tech blogger Paul Thurrott, the world's biggest software maker will confirm at its Build conference in April that a project titled "Threshold" will deliver a new operating system, Windows 9.

It was scheduled, he said, to launch in April 2015 following an update to Windows 8.1 this year which would also include phone software improvements.

http://news.sky.com/story/1194785/microsoft-windows-9-will-launch-in-2015
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ToMoCo

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Bannockburn, Stirling
I specifically bought a couple of retail versions of windows 7 when 8 was launched just so I could easily avoid it.
  • i30 1.6 CRDi (2011)

Tzukius

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I specifically bought a couple of retail versions of windows 7 when 8 was launched just so I could easily avoid it.

I was so impressed by Windows 8 I brought a Mac!!

I can relate to both those comments (not a big fan either, although some have been converted and reckon it is ok now)  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I wonder how many employees of Microsoft are batting for the other side. (And I don't mean gender preference). :foottap:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I am running Windows 8.1 on my Desktop PC and my Notebook with no problems at all.

However - I don't use the Metro touch screen interface - I have installed the Windows 7 desktop using Start8 third party software.

Hence I have a computer that looks and behaves like it is Windows 7 - but is much faster to boot, has better integrated anti malware and a few other bells and whistles I can't identify because I have now forgotten which ones were not already in Win 7.

I am very happy with Win 8 and frankly don't understand what all the fuss and palaver is all about.  It seems that there is something in the human psyche that compels some people to try and knock success off its rightful podium. Some technical journalists have made a well paid career out of knocking companies like Microsoft, Apple, Google etc who are each World leaders in their field.

Rant over - I'll get me coat........
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

But, but I'm very happy with Win 7  and can't see any reason to upgrade. If I am forced to when I upgrade one of our laptops or main PC I will be in touch Alan for guidance in customising it  :goodjob:

I do have a 2 page list of shortcuts that make it more user friendly (I must find and scan and post them at some stage)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
I mainly use my Win 7 laptop but my desktop has Windows 8 but use a front-end to make it look like 7. Seems to work pretty well usually. :)

I wonder if Windows 9 will be better or worse ??

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

ouri30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I'm still using XP.

Does what i want do why change and have issues..

ouri30
I'm still using XP.

Does what i want do why change and have issues..

I'm currently trying to make a bootable USB with an XP installation.  I want to use it for my weather station and website plus solar system monitoring.  XP is less resource hungry and more dependable.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Excellent. Sounds like a challenge to me. I'm interested in the weatherstation, can you tell us a bit more about that.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
I am running Windows 8.1 on my Desktop PC and my Notebook with no problems at all.

However - I don't use the Metro touch screen interface - I have installed the Windows 7 desktop using Start8 third party software.

Hence I have a computer that looks and behaves like it is Windows 7 - but is much faster to boot, has better integrated anti malware and a few other bells and whistles I can't identify because I have now forgotten which ones were not already in Win 7.

I am very happy with Win 8 and frankly don't understand what all the fuss and palaver is all about.  It seems that there is something in the human psyche that compels some people to try and knock success off its rightful podium. Some technical journalists have made a well paid career out of knocking companies like Microsoft, Apple, Google etc who are each World leaders in their field.

Rant over - I'll get me coat........

Here here, I rather reluctantly bought a new laptop a few months ago which has Windows 8.1 and frankly don't see what the fuss is about.  It works fine and after installing a 3rd party piece of software to bring back the start button I have to say I prefer it to Windows 7 due to its ultra fast boot up time.   
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I run SSD drives on my Laptop and Desktop, making win 7 boot up much faster anyway (so i guess less benefit for me switching)  :winker:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I run SSD drives on my Laptop and Desktop, making win 7 boot up much faster anyway (so i guess less benefit for me switching)  :winker:

You might have a problem then - Windows 8.1 is so much faster than Win 7 - it might boot up before you switch it on.................... :rofl:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
I suspect they have by default install the setting that if applied to Win7 have the same result.

On SSD drives, I have them installed on all the machines here including the router and htpc. The desktop pc's are set to sleep rather than fully shut down and spring back to life as soon as you touch the spacebar or mouse. So startup time concerns are well and truly a thing of the past - if the machine is configured accordingly.

Windows 8 Speed Tests: It's Faster at Pretty Much Everything

The article does show that Win8 performs faster but I doubt its significant for day to day desktop computing.

So for Win7 choose sleep instead of shut down or right click on the start button, select properties, choose sleep for the power button action. Voila. Win7 now starts about the same as Win8.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 23:47:52 by Aussie Keith »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's what I do, probably cold start once weekly after I clean the registry & history etc.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That's what I do, probably cold start once weekly after I clean the registry & history etc.
I have my laptop configured to hibernate on closing the lid.
Works for me. :goodjob2:
But I let my PC start up normally. Doesn't take too long.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

ouri30
Excellent. Sounds like a challenge to me. I'm interested in the weatherstation, can you tell us a bit more about that.

Firstly, I gave up on the bootable USB with XP.  Win 7 is much easier to install from a bootable USB as MS has a tool to create it for you.

Since May 2010 I've had a private weather station running and reporting to a website Karoonda weather.  I've recently upgraded from a basic Fine Offset (Chinese) setup to a Davis Vantage Pro2 (US) weather station.  I use Cumulus software to record data and upload it to the web.

Until recently I had a complex website with heaps of info but have gone back to a basic website. I intend to add features to it in coming months.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:24:42 by ouri30 »

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Highest Temperature    46.9 °C  :eek: :eek:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Highest Temperature 46.9 °C  :eek: :eek:

My.  That a hot bit of software

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
So I checked out the weatherstation on the internet. It sounds like a very serious bit of kit.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So I checked out the weatherstation on the internet. It sounds like a very serious bit of kit.

I'm on my tablet at the moment but will check it all out later Bob. I am happy enough with the unmodified weather station I bought off ebay. Just use the info screen supplied.

I might go the next step, computer link or even website when I retire...

ouri30
Highest Temperature    46.9 °C  :eek: :eek:

That was last week in the heat wave that came through.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal