Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi all I got BP Ultimate Diesel @ $1.25.9 in Sydney
That's about as good as I've seen it.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I just paid 136.9 near Mandurah.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Between $1.23 and $1.29/l in Gippsland, the cheapest BP Officer Inbound (that's on the main Princes Freeway heading west into Melbourne, about 45min from Melbourne CBD).

Normally, our fuel prices are anything from 10c/l to 20c/l higher than metro areas. So, it's pleasantly surprising to see that it's probably on par with the city outlets.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
1.299 in Brisbane

Has been stuck there for quite some time....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mjt57 i can't find BP ultimate Diesel where i am, but the normal diesel i get for about same as i payed for that BP ultimate Diesel.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Mjt57 i can't find BP ultimate Diesel where i am, but the normal diesel i get for about same as i payed for that BP ultimate Diesel.
I've never seen this "ultimate" diesel at any of the pumps where I fill up. What's it do that the normal diesel doesn't do?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Supposed to clean things I think, like Ultimate Unleaded.
Most BP & Caltex service stations over here only sell Ultimate.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
mjt57 the BP ultimate Dieselhas Ultimate sign just like the 98 petrol but Diesel written in black. it fills faster as no foaming. i think my motor runs smoother on it & the little truck i have seems to pull from lower rev smoother. i can't see a gain in economy but i'll use it every time i see it from now on.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
mjt57 the BP ultimate Dieselhas Ultimate sign just like the 98 petrol but Diesel written in black. it fills faster as no foaming. i think my motor runs smoother on it & the little truck i have seems to pull from lower rev smoother. i can't see a gain in economy but i'll use it every time i see it from now on.
All the servos have black text on the signs for the diesel pumps. And mine doesn't suffer from foaming, despite me almost exclusively using the high flow pump. Whether slow or fast they click at 43l when I fill shortly after the low fuel light comes on.
Still, I'll keep an eye out for the Ultimate version.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Your not really filling your tank, when the light came on every fill I did with the i30 CRDi a brim up took 57L then it was 1,100k before next fuel light came on that's with two FD one 5speed one 6speed no difference they both got 57 or close each fill over 160,000k combined
When you really brim tank you will learn what foaming is it's like pulling a beer almost, the foam omes up to very lip of filler, you go easy on the trigger spin the fuel down the kneck by Amin at filler kneck side and down ward.
Normal diesel is all throth,premium like Caltex vortex less throth but the BP Ultimate Diesel no throth.
Go to BP sight search to find a servo that stocks it.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Your not really filling your tank,
With the risk of ressurecting the "brimmers v first clickers" debate, according to the manual the i30 has a 54l tank.

When the low light comes on it's supposed to have 10 litres left. So, when I fill up soon afterwards it clicks off at 43l. And that's pretty consistant across the various servos that I fill up at.

I've done the brimmer thing and sat there for half an hour slowly dribbling it in. And have gotten close to 800 kays out of a tank. Normally, the low light comes on at around 700 on the trip meter.

Finally, back in my motor mechanic days (I worked on the first Model A Fords) when the new cars with all the pollution gear on them, which included vapor return lines on the fuel tanks, we were advised not to overfill them as the fuel could get into places where it's not welcome.

I don't know what technology that they use today but given that vapor losses would still be an issue, is it worth risking it? Of course, diesels are different to petrol engines, particularly the low volatitiy of diesel, so I don't know what gear is used.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
mjt57 hope all well there,
well you just explained what i was trying to explaine, when you said you don't like waisting time briming, well with normal foaming diesel it is very slow to brim, with the  ultimate or vortex premium diesels low foaming they brim much faster. also diesel different to petrol in that is is lower expansion when it gets warmer, like cold petrol you fit more of it in your tank after it comes from storage below ground. then it expands. so they don't recommend filling to the top. with diesel it does not expand much cold from hot.
they way i look at it is if you don't do a lot of k's fast then don't worry about it, but if your on a long trip about to drive 1,000k or more a brim means an extra 200 to 300k before you need to refill, can make that trip much cheaper if its city to city rather than have to pay higher regional fuel prices , same with petrol if your about to drive long distance you can brim as your going to use a lot more fuel quick.
but back to ultimate diesel it is made for the CRDi more so than the old style fuel. if you are impatient need to fill fast don't worry, but if you pump fuel fast till first click then use 3\4 trigger on pump the premium fills like petrol.
good luck

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

they way i look at it is if you don't do a lot of k's fast then don't worry about it, but if your on a long trip about to drive 1,000k or more a brim means an extra 200 to 300k before you need to refill, can make that trip much cheaper if its city to city rather than have to pay higher regional fuel prices
The price of diesel at the moment varies little between city and country.

In any case, I don't think that it's a wise thing to try and attempt a 1,000km enduro in on hit. The idea of rest stops to top up, to walk around, to go to the "rest rooms" to freshen up and so on would be a better one.

In any case, I'll reiterate the bit about vapor lines to/from the tank and so on. Or people can re-read my post, I s'pose and can tell me if my concerns are valid or unfounded.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
AFAIK, there are no vapour lines for the Diesel motor, just a vent to atmosphere for the purpose of expansion. Always brim our tanks and never had any issues whatsoever, not even expansion overflow.

The tanks used in petrol engined cars are to eliminate the hydrocarbon emissions in air, carbon filtered, then to atmosphere if absolutely necessary, but normally recycled to the air intake for combustion.

I agree about taking rest breaks during traveling. However, that extra 200 k's is handy for general running about locally.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The less often you have to visit a garage the better, whichever fuel you use. Lots of benefits of maximising your fuel range including being able to shop around for good fuel prices when travelling on country roads. Less likely to be forced to pay top dollar because you are running low.

Also, if you have a preference for a particular brand of fuel you can usually make it to a preferred location.

My average range now is between 700 and 800 which is not bad, but I miss the 1000km range of my last 3 cars..  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal