i30 Owners Club

Steering knock

i30CRDI · 101 · 51770

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The entire asylum awaits with bated breath.

P.S. I'll keep a look out for some in Madrid next week, where I'll also pick up a couple of Clubi30.es keyrings during our street meet. :D

Well actually you just gave me an idea. How about Keyrings with the couplings attached.

I've got a unit here I could dismantle. It could be they can order these in workshop bulk but it's not what I expected. probably better than no coupling.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Funny you should say that, Gerard. I did my annual F88 shoot today and according to the latest directive, cut out the stiff auscam dividers in the ammo pouches. I collected them all from the group and will cut them up and attach keyrings for my cadets. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Funny you should say that, Gerard. I did my annual F88 shoot today and according to the latest directive, cut out the stiff auscam dividers in the ammo pouches. I collected them all from the group and will cut them up and attach keyrings for my cadets. :lol:

I think that's a private conversation. I refuse to discuss such silliness. I had a perfectly good non compliant pouch which I was told to replace to now be told I'm non compliant again.  :spitty:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I refuse to discuss such silliness. I had a perfectly good non compliant pouch which I was told to replace to now be told I'm non compliant again.  :spitty:
Just like this friend of mine who slung his F88 off his body armour with a carabiner years before it became the compliant way to do it! :crazy1:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I refuse to discuss such silliness. I had a perfectly good non compliant pouch which I was told to replace to now be told I'm non compliant again.  :spitty:
Just like this friend of mine who slung his F88 off his body armour with a carabiner years before it became the compliant way to do it! :crazy1:

yeah, can't add much more , speaks for itself. Enjoy the trip.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
5 for $13, 10 for $23

better hold off on the Ebay bargians, they just arrived not in OEM package . Likely clones

@nzenigma Do you have a live one you can photo both sides for a comparo.

Sorry used the last one on the above job. I got a few from Hyundai at Brendale $5 each. But feel Im behind the pack  :Shocked: :disapp:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
5 for $13, 10 for $23

better hold off on the Ebay bargians, they just arrived not in OEM package . Likely clones

@nzenigma Do you have a live one you can photo both sides for a comparo.

Sorry used the last one on the above job. I got a few from Hyundai at Brendale $5 each. But feel Im behind the pack  :Shocked: :disapp:

Right, I thought someone quoted $30 at the dealer. mates rates?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Correct, my mate with the workshop brought it up, $28-$30 from a dealer apparently.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Correct, my mate with the workshop brought it up, $28-$30 from a dealer apparently.

I think they're ok. after looking at quite a few images and noticing genuine packs of 10 then that would explain the Non OEM packet. they do have 99.5% rating and no complaints about these which is as good as you get really

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I think they're ok. after looking at quite a few images and noticing genuine packs of 10 then that would explain the Non OEM packet. they do have 99.5% rating and no complaints about these which is as good as you get really

The new wagon has the dreaded knock so went to my usual Brendale supplier and asked for 4 bushes.
Parts guy with charisma by-pass returns with 3 -  "that's all I have in stock gimme $66.00".
What happened to $5 each?
That's the new hyundai price.
Well guess what, you now have 3 bushes back in stock.
Duhh?

I now have 10 coming from Korea for $38.00 post free.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I would have done exactly the same thing.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

The new wagon has the dreaded knock so went to my usual Brendale supplier and asked for 4 bushes.
Parts guy with charisma by-pass returns with 3 -  "that's all I have in stock gimme $66.00".
What happened to $5 each?
That's the new hyundai price.
Well guess what, you now have 3 bushes back in stock.
Duhh?

I now have 10 coming from Korea for $38.00 post free.
@nzenigma I would have went psst, mate . Got any spares. You owe me and mate would have gone , sure got 5 and then you would have gone here's me address and mate would have gone , already got it, then you would have gone sweet and mate would have gone, anytime. :goodjob:

:crazy1: :crazy2: :phone1: :faint: :fum:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :rofl:
that's Ippi style, I like it.

PS, Im in NZ for a while.  :(  Cheers

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
that's Ippi style, I like it.

PS, Im in NZ for a while.  :(  Cheers
Yeah, no wories mate. Understood. Take care :goodjob2:

Offline everyman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Australia
I've had the same issue. It got worse and worse until I finally got my mechanic to fix it. Was not as expensive as you'd think.
  • 2009 FD petrol hatch

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I've had the same issue. It got worse and worse until I finally got my mechanic to fix it. Was not as expensive as you'd think.
Don't be shy tell us more, like who and how much if you're happy with the outcome. :goodjob2:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Don't be shy tell us more, like who and how much if you're happy with the outcome. :goodjob2:

From me too,  Ive been ratting on about dealers rorting this problem, so back me up please :D

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

From me too,  Ive been ratting on about dealers rorting this problem, so back me up please :D
Ratting,  :whistler: something on your mind, Rattus rattus?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Very good mate  :goodjob:

(Too subtle to explain folks)

Offline everyman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Australia
Well.......
It started as a slight knock when turning the wheel left or right. The slackness  increased over a few months until every bump in the road induced a sharp tap in the steering wheel.
My .mechanic fixed it for $240.
  • 2009 FD petrol hatch

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Well.......
It started as a slight knock when turning the wheel left or right. The slackness  increased over a few months until every bump in the road induced a sharp tap in the steering wheel.

Thanks for that, you are talking about an honest and competent mechanic. If you want to attach his name ( with his permission) I don't think anyone here will object.  :goodjob2:

Offline everyman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Australia
Well.......

Thanks for that, you are talking about an honest and competent mechanic. If you want to attach his name ( with his permission) I don't think anyone here will object.  :goodjob2:
Gary Harris. Harris Automotive in Archerfield qld
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 20:14:55 by nzenigma »
  • 2009 FD petrol hatch

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

Ratting,  :whistler: something on your mind, Rattus rattus?

• 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
For Northside Brisbane owners:

Mark is an honest and reliable mechanic , also a friend of mine.

He has been doing the steering bush replacement for a few years. His charge is also  $ 240.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Finally, got a live one. And as Murphy wrote the script himself, the car it failed on was the only one I had not inspected, the TAXI(CW).

Now Mrs said to me there was a knock, being the over rated expert I am I tested the car and said , nah that's nothing.

So after the dirty scumbag nicked my plates on Monday, I borrowed the Taxi. Hmmm, got a bloody knock in it but only noticed at parking.

Got home, hey honey, steering got a weird knock.

" I told you ........... :twisted: :noshits: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:"

:sweating:  survived that storm and then proceeded to replace it this afternoon.

All fixed, but old one was disintegrating and was very very soft a bit like when rubber goes gooey with age.

Oh, and no zeroising required, that's 3 / 3 I've escaped pulling this steering assembly apart,

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Jeepers it's was well and truly stuffed!  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
C'mon, still in mint condition when you look at a few other images. Probably the difference between ignoring it and knowing something was not right.

I enjoy the end result, the journey sometimes is painful. :scared:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Like new.
Mine was in bits.
Many bits and none of the "arms" were recognizable as such.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Probably the difference between ignoring it and knowing something was not right.

I enjoy the end result, the journey sometimes is painful. :scared:

Do we interpret the above as:
 "although I am an expert in this field, I ignored the obvious because I crave to be reamed by my wife" ?
  :twisted:

:whistler:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal