i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

VTH · 476 · 230867

Offline Maximus12234

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
So an update to my previous post. I recieved the head unit, usb lead and jack assemby and fitted it all as per the instructions, and bam, head unit works but USB module isn't working

not taking a charge at all, does that mean i can't update the firmware? as that means i'd need to plug the firmware update in through the USB port?

Not sure what else to do, as i sourced all the three new parts from the same vehicle
  • i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think you’re about the third person to recently have no power to the USB port after the install, it’s got me baffled as to why this is happening as it’s generally a plug an play setup  :confused:

Offline Maximus12234

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Yeah i'm not sure whether it's the USB cable, aux/usb module, or the actual head unit that's the problem. Everything works atm apart from the USB connection  :crazy1:

i'll take it apart and test it all uninstalled this arvo. Just checking that the AUX/USB module only needs the USB cable connected to work? The aux part isnt connected to anything atm.

Just really annoying :(
  • i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah i'm not sure whether it's the USB cable, aux/usb module, or the actual head unit that's the problem. Everything works atm apart from the USB connection  :crazy1:

i'll take it apart and test it all uninstalled this arvo. Just checking that the AUX/USB module only needs the USB cable connected to work? The aux part isnt connected to anything atm.

Just really annoying :(
Yes it's only the USB cable that's required, I can't remember if the USB lead only plugs in one way...thinking it's directional :undecided:

Is it a blue plug black cable as pictured in the first post of this topic?

Offline Maximus12234

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I shall take photos when i get back from work, but yes the cable and assembly were identical to the photos. From a 2017 i30 i think.
  • i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
From a 2017 i30 i think.
Should be 2015 till 2016 for a GD-03 unit, later than that would be another model stereo.

Offline Maximus12234

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
my receipt said (GD-03), GD, 2/2015-02/2017

i'm assuming that means there were models released in 2015, 2016 and 2017 with the GD-03 stereo?

idk, you know a lot more than i do about cars ahah
  • i30 2012

Offline Maximus12234

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Either way, the head unit and USB module fit perfectly. Just no charge or connection through the USB port. Acting like a dead port. Should there be any lights in the USB module? Should the text light up? Cause i aint seeing any lights either
  • i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Should there be any lights in the USB module? Should the text light up? Cause i aint seeing any lights either
There's no lighting on the module.

Offline Maximus12234

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I have taken apart the unit again and tried with it all taken apart, still dead, i bought a replacement cable from kia just then, so lets hope that works!
  • i30 2012

Offline Maximus12234

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I noticed you're in perth too, you happen to know where i can find the USB cable wiyhin a day or so? Do you or anyone you know happen to be selling one?
  • i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I noticed you're in perth too, you happen to know where i can find the USB cable wiyhin a day or so? Do you or anyone you know happen to be selling one?
Possibly through Hyundai Parts an Service :undecided: you might be able to match something through JayCar but whether it'll function correctly with an Apple device I wouldn't know.

I got mine with the unit from Stanvac Korean Auto Parts.

I wonder if the few units recently that are having these same issues are all bought from the same wreckers :undecided: just seems odd that there has been no connection problems with any of these units for years then all of a sudden in the last few months there have been three with the same USB problem, there hasn't been any firmware updates released that could have screwed things up either.

Offline Maximus12234

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I got mine from tonys auto wreckers in perth, picked it up after work with both the usb cable and aux/usb module

but yeah i don't see the kia replacement cable coming anytime soon

• i30 2012

Offline Maximus12234

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
anyone know where i can buy the aux/jack assembly? already picked up the cable? willing to buy brand new
  • i30 2012

Offline biggerz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
My head unit was bought in South Coast NSW and Jeff got his (two in fact) from Ultimate Jap on eBay.

• 2014 Hyundai i30

Offline jprice46

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Qld

• 2015 i30 (with a mostly functional GD-03)
Yeh I'm still gazumped here.  No voltage of the port.

I tried the dealer (Westpoint Auto Brisbane) and they flatly said "nope not interested" (even when I'm happy to pay the $155/hr rate).
I tried a small car audio guy, hoping they'd like to have a crack at it (and be paid for it).  Nope, he said car compatibility means its not worth his time/rate, and would steer me towards an aftermarket replacement.

I still feel like its a logic condition (say +1V on the aux-detect pin) which is preventing the usb port from activating, but I don't have the tools or skills to effectively troubleshoot it.  Or its a hidden software setting which is a simple usb enable/disable.

PM me if you'd like to buy a discounted GD-03, aux unit, and aux-usb cable and try your luck.

I'll remain in innocent hope that someone finds a solution, before I remove the GD-03 and put the GD-02 back in so that I have access to usb charge/ipod mode from the old aux unit.

Looks like I'll have to wait until a new car to get carplay. 
  • 2015 i30

Offline Divv

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      SA

I tried the dealer (Westpoint Auto Brisbane) and they flatly said "nope not interested" (even when I'm happy to pay the $155/hr rate).
I tried a small car audio guy, hoping they'd like to have a crack at it (and be paid for it).  Nope, he said car compatibility means its not worth his time/rate, and would steer me towards an aftermarket replacement.

I still feel like its a logic condition (say +1V on the aux-detect pin) which is preventing the usb port from activating, but I don't have the tools or skills to effectively troubleshoot it.  Or its a hidden software setting which is a simple usb enable/disable.

PM me if you'd like to buy a discounted GD-03, aux unit, and aux-usb cable and try your luck.

I'll remain in innocent hope that someone finds a solution, before I remove the GD-03 and put the GD-02 back in so that I have access to usb charge/ipod mode from the old aux unit.

What car did you originally have?

I upgraded mine from a GD-01 to a GD-03 headunit from a 2016 i30 and had no issues.

I also don't know if it means anything to anyone, but these days the AUX cable isnt used as much as it used to, so you will find that if your intention is to use the GD-03 Headunit for Apple Carplay then you all need is the USB adapter lead and not the aux. Personally, I just tucked it back in behind the head unit itself and that seemed to work fine for me.

You didnt damage any cables during the installation by chance?

Could also be worth double checking both ports are fully plugged in on both ends; being the headunit and the usb assembly adapter.

Good luck :)

• 2012 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel, 1.6T, Manual, Tropic Red, Hyundai i30

Offline jprice46

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Qld

• 2015 i30 (with a mostly functional GD-03)
Hi Divv,
2015 i30 Active Hatch with a GD-02.
Yep am using the newer aux port with the newer aux-usb cable, and yep same same I just tucked the original aux connector into the cavity..  The newer aux-usb cable is ok (I also tried making my own cable with a JST-4PH header connector) and tracing back with a multi-meter I simply do not get any vdc off the rear-side usb port on the GD-03 .  Chatting to Mark, we've followed the instructions to the T and are stumped as to why we're unlucky enough to be different.  Sort of relieved that a couple other people are now having the same issue, but also sorry for them given for the majority this has been a straight forward swap-out.
Ta, Jeff.
  • 2015 i30

Offline Maximus12234

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
So i had the same problems with my head unit swap as jprince.

I decided to get a refund for the USB cable and assembly that came with the head unit, and chose to buy the same USB cable and assembly from another wrecker. Almost 2 weeks later and now apple carplay works!

Thanks to everyone here for the confidence i needed to tackle a job like this (not a car person)

• i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I decided to get a refund for the USB cable and assembly that came with the head unit, and chose to buy the same USB cable and assembly from another wrecker. Almost 2 weeks later and now apple carplay works!
Glad it's finally working :goodjob: I'm guessing that maybe these few failing USB/AUX modules have had some rough treatment in their lifetime :undecided:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 13:23:21 by CraigB »

Offline marcelo_pe

• 2nd Gear

• cl Chile
      Santiago
I'm a 2013 GD owner in Chile. I was wondering if I can swap my head unit for a GD-03, since models vary in different regions too. I see some A/C units, dials and buttons in this forum that I don't think are the same as local models.

Edit: Just to clarify, I read the whole thread and I know it is feasible to do this job. I just need some peace of mind as to whether you know / see any obvious constraints based on my model & region.

Just FYI mine's got OEM camera, which displays on the mirror.

Also a picture of the exterior, in case anyone wants to know how GD was in my country :)

I have the 1.8l, 6MT, panoramic roof version. This was top of the line at the time.

My only mod is that I replaced the tail lights with OEM LED by Mobis.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 15:28:01 by marcelo_pe »
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8

Offline Divv

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      SA
Sick tail lights!! Where did you get them from?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They are the LED rear lights on the top model, or the SR in Australia.

I've got them on mine as well which I purchased on eBay from Korea :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 04:24:59 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm a 2013 GD owner in Chile. I was wondering if I can swap my head unit for a GD-03, since models vary in different regions too. I see some A/C units, dials and buttons in this forum that I don't think are the same as local models.

Edit: Just to clarify, I read the whole thread and I know it is feasible to do this job. I just need some peace of mind as to whether you know / see any obvious constraints based on my model & region.

Just FYI mine's got OEM camera, which displays on the mirror.

Also a picture of the exterior, in case anyone wants to know how GD was in my country :)

I have the 1.8l, 6MT, panoramic roof version. This was top of the line at the time.

My only mod is that I replaced the tail lights with OEM LED by Mobis.
GD-03 units are also an Australian Cartronics built unit and can only be bought nowadays via Australian Car Wreckers, they're getting pretty rare to find these days too.

Also note that being the top model with the climate control aircon you'll have the head unit that is the same shape as the navigation units which prevents the GD-03 from being fitted.

Offline Divv

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      SA

What website? Is there a link so I can have a look at purchasing one.

Also, how hard was the installation?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

As mentioned I bought on eBay, Shark Racing also have them :link: 2012-2017 i30-Elantra GT Factory OEM LED Tail Lights - Shark Racing

They're easy to fit, plug and play :)

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom

Hi as Craig said installation is easy, I replaced my car head unit with a GD-03 which looked exactly like yours. My only difference was I had the standard climate controls
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline marcelo_pe

• 2nd Gear

• cl Chile
      Santiago
Also note that being the top model with the climate control aircon you'll have the head unit that is the same shape as the navigation units which prevents the GD-03 from being fitted.
Thanks a lot for your response, but I'm not sure if I got it correctly. GD-03 won't fit in my car because of a mismatch in shape of the unit itself and my car? Sorry but just by looking at the pictures I thought it was going to fit fine!

I bought the LED taillights from this eBay seller around year 2014. They had the best deal the time.

• 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
if I got it correctly. GD-03 won't fit in my car because of a mismatch in shape of the unit itself and my car?
Correct, the base shape of the head unit fascia and aircon will not match.

Offline marcelo_pe

• 2nd Gear

• cl Chile
      Santiago
Correct, the base shape of the head unit fascia and aircon will not match.

Am I getting the head unit models correctly? Just did this quick comparison based on my search at eBay AU:

Tend to think that (3) would indeed fit. And (4) won't.

• 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal