i30 Owners Club

Uk - Cyclists will have to wear helmets and high-viz vests BY LAW in the New Year under proposed new

eye30 · 16 · 3343

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

A review will consider arguments in favour of forcing cyclists to wear helmets

Department for Transport insists it has 'no plans' to make equipment compulsory

Moves to make helmets compulsory have often been opposed by cycling groups

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5113697/Cyclists-wear-helmets-high-viz-vests.html
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Damned right too. I hope a law gets passed. They did it for motorcyclists, now they should do it for the even more vulnerable.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Pauledgcott

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Buckinghamshire
Really? A typical post and idea from the car has right of way group/s which actually except for motorways is not the case and I doubt that will ever happen as it has been proven that the cyclist helmets do not generally provide that much protection, mostly they protect from light knocks to the head not some idiot driving into them! And as for the Hi-vis why don't you simply put your phones down and look where you are going? How about all drivers actually use the lights that are attached by law, like indicators, headlamps or paint all cars in Hi-viz paint? Stupid anti cyclist ideas. You don't own the road! Also any law like this won't work as we already have laws about lights on bikes and the same idiots that flout that will simply do the same with this. Before anyone wades in with the 'Car Tax' issue, it was abolished by Winston Churchill in 1935! Car Tax, there is no such thing. Sorry peps it is down to you to drive more carefully instead of racing to the back of the next queue. I for one will never cycle with Hi-Viz my lights are more than enough!
  • Next Gen i30 SE Nav 1.4

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm not anti-cyclist. I just hope this becomes law so that my nephew and other cycling acquaintances realise they now HAVE to wear the gear.

I also wish they'd start enforcing the "lights at night" and "no riding on the pavement" laws.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm all for them wearing more protection, helmets are law here but many still ride without them and if the police are having a slow day they'll fine you.

The statistics show that more head injuries are prevented from using helmets and the hi vis seems like common sense, the more noticeable you are then the better your chances are at not being run over, especially at night time when bicycle lights aren't noticeable from the side where a hi vis vest or sleaves would help to solve that problem...hi vis has already proven itself in most industries or applications so if it works to make them safer then they should do it :goodjob2:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I cycle for pleasure and use both roads and off road tracks.

I only cycle in day light not twilight, night or dawn..

I will plan my route to exclude as much road cycling, by this a mean A and B roads.
So i would guess i do 95% off road and 5% road.

I wear a helmet but know that this will not give much, if any, protection between me a a vehicle at speeds of say more than 10 mph if it runs over me.

However, should i fall from my bike/ hit a vehicle and my head hits the vehicle or ground, at least if i have minor or even major trauma i would like to think the helmet would take some impact and hopefully reduce any injuries.

On warm days i wear a yellow top.
On cooler days i wear a hi viz.

Even though i am "glowing yellow" the number of vehicles which want to "gutter" you is, i would say 9 out of 10!

In uk it is the law that a bike when sold at a retailer has to be sold with a bell.
However, once it leaves the retailer the bell can be removed.

If a cyclist is stopped by pc plod for any reason and pc plod notices no bell, the cyclist can not be ticketed for no bell.

In my view it is motorised vehicle drivers who need to be educated to respect cyclist on our roads.

Ps
Since taking up cycling again a few years ago and being nearly knocked off my bike many times, i now leave at least 3 feet, 1 metre when i pass cyclists.

On narrow roads when i can not pass by without leaving the gap, i have kept behind cyclists and have had drivers behind me making gestures with their hands.
I pity them!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Really? A typical post and idea from the car has right of way group/s which actually except for motorways is not the case and I doubt that will ever happen as it has been proven that the cyclist helmets do not generally provide that much protection, mostly they protect from light knocks to the head not some idiot driving into them! And as for the Hi-vis why don't you simply put your phones down and look where you are going? How about all drivers actually use the lights that are attached by law, like indicators, headlamps or paint all cars in Hi-viz paint? Stupid anti cyclist ideas. You don't own the road! Also any law like this won't work as we already have laws about lights on bikes and the same idiots that flout that will simply do the same with this. Before anyone wades in with the 'Car Tax' issue, it was abolished by Winston Churchill in 1935! Car Tax, there is no such thing. Sorry peps it is down to you to drive more carefully instead of racing to the back of the next queue. I for one will never cycle with Hi-Viz my lights are more than enough!

Welcome. Gee, why don't you tell us what you really think ( in your first post )...

Over here, where helmets are compulsory neurosurgeons and similar medical experts sing the praises of bicycle helmets (as Craig mentioned)

They have introduced a law down here where you have to leave a 1.5 metre gap when you pass a cyclist on the road. I'm all for better visibility too.

I recently bought a bike  but only intend riding it on bicycle tracks as no longer feel safe on public roads. One of my Brothers died about 4 and a half years ago in a scooter accident (not his fault)  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Fortunately my son who rides an hour each way to work, several days a week, from the western suburbs of Brisbane, through the CBD to Fortitude Valley, displays more self preservation than this.
I'm always sad when I see people who will stick to their guns regardless of how much risk it exposes them to.

When I was learning to drive, my father told me the cemetary was full of people whose last thought was, "I've got right of way".
I've been riding motor bikes and push bikes on and off all my life and I don't think I've ever tried to bluff a car.

And not wearing a helmet is just plain being obtuse.

Rant over.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Really? A typical post and idea from the car has right of way group/s .... I for one will never cycle with Hi-Viz my lights are more than enough!
....When I was learning to drive, my father told me the cemetary was full of people whose last thought was, "I've got right of way".
I've been riding motor bikes and push bikes on and off all my life and I don't think I've ever tried to bluff a car....
Rant over.

Rant on mate, I completely agree.

By editing the two posts we get to the crux of the debate:  You are a "stupid anti-cyclist" and he's an intelligent corpse.  :crazy1:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
My rant .
As a former cyclist, I am fast coming to the conclusion that bikes shouldn’t be on the road.

@Pauledgcott  You have this sanctimonious notion that ‘the infallible’ have the right to ride among the steel devils. Irrespective of your pontification about lack of driver attention.... :rolleyes:... $hit happens!

I see about 1000 car wrecks each week in this city. Add to this, a similar amount of unreported collisions. It may filter through that the odds are against you, even if you survive. And the only person who cares, is the poor bloody driver who didn’t see you in time because of your crappy attire, or because you chose to ride into the setting sun, or because (unbelievably) you made a mistake.

In Holland cyclists are separated from the car by having wide dedicated lanes, paths and intersections. But, Holland is also flat, compact and planned to accommodate a traditional mode of transport. To try and retro fit a few cycle lanes into a modern city just doesn’t work.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Okay, where is Rusty?

Seriously though, I think it is about education, on both sides.  Cyclists need to be educated on why they should wear helmets and wear hi-viz.  I did when I rode my bike to work in Melbourne, even though all but 2km of my 20km ride was on bike paths.  That still didn't stop me from being hit by a van near work, even though I was on a bike path (he stopped and then crossed it, didn't see me apparently).  No matter who is at fault in a car-bicycle collision, the bike is going to come off second best.  Don't make it compulsory, we are already too much of a nanny state (IMO).  Let the user decide on the risk level, and then decide whether they need a helmet or hi-viz.  If we go overboard, then soon pedestrians will be required to wear hi-viz and helmets, after all they get hit by cars and fall over too.

Car drivers should be educated on looking out for other road users, whether they are pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, trucks, busses.  Also educate them that the roads are shared, and that the cyclist currently are allowed to be there, regardless of their own opinion on the subject.  An extra 10 seconds to pass a cyclist is not the reason you are late.

There are idiots on cycles, in cars, driving trucks, and walking across the road.  Don't judge all of them on the behaviour of a few.

I agree with what Trevor said, the cemetery is full of people that were in the right.

My final words are "Stay safe, everybody!"

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: FatBoy
My final words are "Stay safe, everybody!"

NO NO NO!

Don't abandon the forum just yet  :'(  Say more things  :undecided:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Up here there is serious discussion about removing the helmet laws. As for bikes v cars, I suspect it is much the same as when a truck, bus or 4wd cuts me off, sure I might have right of way, but I'm not going to force the issue because it is a battle that, despite what the law says, I will lose.

Unfortunately there are stupid people across all forms of vehicle transport (perhaps they jump from one to another) Hi vis has merit given the number of said stupid people who  think riding at night in black is a good idea. Those reflectors on the wheels are helpful to see someone at a cross street, but they arn't lights. Having said that, the idiots who wear black and dont use lights won't bother with hi vis either.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

On another note.....

At some traffic lights the stop line for vehicles has been placed several feet back from its original stop line.

A box has been created with a push bike symbol painted on the road.

This means that bikes are given a safe place to stop at the traffic lights.

Motorised vehicles should not stop within this box when the lights are on red but should stop at the new stop line, giving the cyclist a safe refuge.

However, motorised vehicles who stop within the box can be ticketed.

I've been in my car behind a vehicle which stopped in the box and a bike also in the box and although i couldn't hear the verbal i  think the vehicle driver was saying a few choice words.

No pc plod, as usual......

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
On another note.....

At some traffic lights the stop line for vehicles has been placed several feet back from its original stop line.

A box has been created with a push bike symbol painted on the road.

This means that bikes are given a safe place to stop at the traffic lights.

Hmmmm  :disapp: that sounds like an example of the above retro fitting .

It also creates a familiar frustration.
We have to give bikes 1metre clearance when we pass. So we often have to partly weave out into another lane.
Not to mention the myopic female driving an SUV who just paces the bike at 5kph up the hill.
Cyclists here usually don't proceed further when the line of traffic stops.

But with your safety box , all the bloody bikes that you have managed to pass, now roll up in front of you and you have to do it all again. And now you REALY hate them  :twisted:.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
do you have a health system like us, we call ours medicare.if so no choice as hurt yourself the government have to look after you , if you were private health cover only...
in this state nsw 330 fine on pushy helmet. the group I ride with would not let you ride with them if no helmet and it must be securely fitted not just sitting on your head.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal