i30 Owners Club

A little disappointed with new I30 (so I decided to buy one)

ziggy · 22 · 22163

Offline ziggy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW Australia
Hi all, new here, 1st post. Currently I own an I30 SR GD4. Was thinking of updating to new I30 SR. Went for a test drive today in a new I30 SR and a Kona Elite. Liked both but came away a little disappointed with both. To me the 7 speed gearbox in all the current Hyundai cars linked to the 1.6 Litre engines is a not a good option. Around town in stop go traffic it is not smooth, jerky changes and it can't make up it's mind what gear to select. In the Kona it even gave me neutral once at traffic lights at take off. It is ok if you use it as a manual but to me that defeats the purpose of an auto gearbox especially when the missus is driving. At higher speeds without the stop start it is fine. I tried a 2 Litre with the torque converter gearbox and it was nice and smooth with gear changes but it lacked the punch of the turbo models. A real let down after driving the turbo models. Had a run in an Elantra Turbo and it was much the same but a little smoother with it's gear changes.The red seat belts and trimmings in the I30 I would like to see as a delete option. Otherwise  the new I30 SR is a big improvement over my model in everything it it offers. I especially liked the ride on rougher roads. The I30 I felt was the better buy over the Kona as it offered a bit more bang for your buck. Both nice cars except for the gearbox, Sorry Hyundai but I won't be trading to a new one.
  • I30 SR GD4

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Ziggy. Now you've found us hopefully you will stick around.

I have done 24,000 in 10 months in my PD SR DCT and I am happy with my DCT. The acceleration from takeoff is better and maybe a little smoother in sport mode, but overall I prefer normal mode. My eldest daughter is a manual driver, but was almost converted when she recently drove my SR! She said it was the nicest/best auto she's driven.

Because I'm retired I mainly do open road (longer) trips these days but had a fair bit of stop/start driving on a recent 5000 kilometre drive to Qld and back (in various mainland towns and cities)

Either we have very different driving styles or the car you test drove had an issue.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My son's Kona is exceptionally smooth.
But it's a turbo model.
I'm also didn't notice any jerkiness when I test drove the i30 at its Darling Harbour area launch last year.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
There's a PD Turbo diesel 1.6 dct 7sp at Paramatta Hy -37k drive away. Would have different characteristics to the 1.6 petrol.
If  you are close you could try that one. It's on the  website.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

There's a PD Turbo diesel 1.6 dct 7sp at Paramatta Hy -37k drive away. Would have different characteristics to the 1.6 petrol.
If  you are close you could try that one. It's on the  website.

I would actually be interested to drive that one!  :victory:

Pricey little bugger isn't it!

Offline ziggy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW Australia
Going to go for another test drive today. The dealer is going to give me a drive of a new car off the showroom floor instead of their demo model. I still feel however that the DCT gearboxes are not as smooth as a torque converter box as all the cars I drove with the turbo / DCT combination showed the same characteristics in stop start and slow traffic condition. The I30 SR that I drove was particularly noticeable , the others not so bad. Will see how the test drive goes today as I am really keen to get the I30 SR, it really is a great car to drive and good value for the money.
  • I30 SR GD4

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good to hear. I use the automated cruise a lot, even around town. Maybe that is smoothing things out. Also try sport mode to see if you prefer that. I find it a bit too perky.  :victory:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Pretty much all DCT gearboxes will be jerky to some extent in slow stop/start driving.
There would be no way that it's going to be as smooth as a torque converter auto box.

But with pressure comming from govenments on fuel usage & emmisions. These DCT's are very efficent in the way that they operate.
So, if you are the kind of driver that does 80 - 90% of your driving in traffic. With lots of stop/start driving. Then the DCT may not be for you.
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Can't say mine is jurky, a little slower from take off, but you get used to that. Driving around I dont notice it in action.

The only other times I really notice it is if I am braking down a hill, and it changes back a couple of gears to assist with engine braking and to be in the right gear should you want to take off again, or if something happens that is different to what it predicts should happen, where it might take half a second to catch up.

The upside is it allows a more powerful engine than the 6 speed box and is more economical.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline ziggy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW Australia
Well went for another drive today, will say that this car was a lot better than the demo one. Tried sport mode which helped a bit but I agree with Dazz that it makes it a little too perky. The sales person I spoke to said that he had a number of customers complain  about the same thing as me and he advises them that when you pull away from a stop  or you are creeping along with traffic and need to accelerate don't just put your foot into it but give it a little throttle and after the motor and turbo spin up a bit then just use throttle as normal. Tried this method and it did help. The box was a lot smoother and always seemed to select the correct gear with no jerking. Anyway I am going to bite the bullet and will get a 1.6 turbo / DCT as I am hooked on the get up and go. Only problem is the wife would like a Kona and I want the I30 SR. Any help appreciated on how to get her on to my side of the fence with choice of vehicle. Help please!!! Dazzler, the one I drove today is the same colour as yours, gee it looks great in the sun. If I can convince the missus into an I30 SR that is the colour I want.
  • I30 SR GD4

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Happy wife happy life :D I like the SR though I'm also keen on the Kona Highlander :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well went for another drive today, will say that this car was a lot better than the demo one. Tried sport mode which helped a bit but I agree with Dazz that it makes it a little too perky. The sales person I spoke to said that he had a number of customers complain  about the same thing as me and he advises them that when you pull away from a stop  or you are creeping along with traffic and need to accelerate don't just put your foot into it but give it a little throttle and after the motor and turbo spin up a bit then just use throttle as normal. Tried this method and it did help. The box was a lot smoother and always seemed to select the correct gear with no jerking. Anyway I am going to bite the bullet and will get a 1.6 turbo / DCT as I am hooked on the get up and go. Only problem is the wife would like a Kona and I want the I30 SR. Any help appreciated on how to get her on to my side of the fence with choice of vehicle. Help please!!! Dazzler, the one I drove today is the same colour as yours, gee it looks great in the sun. If I can convince the missus into an I30 SR that is the colour I want.

I had a good drive of the 2.0 and 1.6T Kona when they were released the 1.6T drives nicely but the 4WD system cost means losing things like navigation and autonomous cruise. Maybe show the wife the Auto Expert video review of the SR and then one of the less positive reviews of the Kona. As you are obviously aware the SR is better value although the Kona isn't selling as well as they hoped so if you have to apease the wife you can probably screw a good deal on a Kona.

Yes, I think that is it. The DCT rewards smooth driving. I learnt some good smooth/economical driving techniques when I owned 2 hybrids between 2010 and 2014.

If you are impressed with the get up and go now, wait until they get a few kilometres up. My car's a rocket ship now.  :evil:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Only problem is the wife would like a Kona and I want the I30 SR. Any help appreciated on how to get her on to my side of the fence with choice of vehicle. Help please!!! Dazzler, the one I drove today is the same colour as yours, gee it looks great in the sun. If I can convince the missus into an I30 SR that is the colour I want.

If I knew the answer to that question I wouldn't be discussing DCT transmissions in a forum  :whistler:

I dare say the demo cars are being driven by all manner of people and don't get the opportunuty to learn a particular style.

Oh another thing on the DCT, learning how to drive the car into the garage was an experience. It just won't creep foward like an old style auto. Now I think of the DCT as being more like a computer automated manual it sort of makes more sence.

Offline ziggy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW Australia
Yippee, I won the battle. It is going to be a new I30 SR. Now comes part 2 of the saga. She wants white, I want red. She wants a sunroof, I don't. I got to say it but the joys of being married. I can hear it already....well I let you  get the I30 so I should be allowed to pick the colour and  have a sunroof. I have already mentioned the fact of who is paying for it all but all I got was a shrug of the shoulders. You can't win so why try.
  • I30 SR GD4

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
White with no sunroof.....Easy.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The very best auto experience in the Hyundai/KIA range will be found in the Ioniq and Niro hybrid cars. It is a superb blend of electric and engine power through a DCT.

In my Niro gear changes are virtually imperceptible and because it uses electric power on take off from rest it is always as smooth and potent as any family auto car I have ever driver - which over my years is quite a few.

The DCT in my previous Venga was also quite smooth but the DSG in my sons GT Golf diesel can be jerky on take off. Something I experienced with a hired Golf in Tenerife.  The Hyundai/KIA double clutch boxes in my experience are far smoother than the VW ones and generally more economical than manual boxes. The car computer being a better driver than most people.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well done Ziggy, white is still a great colour in the SR and if you can afford the extra 2k just get the sunroof to shut her up.   :lol: They do look great in white with the black roof.

Alan makes a good point, but Ioniq is on a slow boat to Australia and Niro ain't coming...

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

You could wait for Ford to introduce the Focus Hybrid possibly to be powered by a highly stressed 3 cylinder high revving turbo engine connected via an electric motor to a Ford DCT transmission with legendary reliability and covered by a fantastic 3 'tears' warranty.

Check your Ford forums and read the glowing praise you find there - or perhaps you had better not.... :rofl:

I'm sure the comments in this thread about the Hyundai DCT box problems are genuine - but likely to be a fault with just that car and not generic.

As an aside - When I read some of the posts on Hyundai/KIA forums moaning about a particular model, it makes me think they should put things into perspective by visiting the VW and Ford forums to see the high number of complaints there. The Fiat and French brand sites are also a joy.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You could wait for Ford to introduce the Focus Hybrid possibly to be powered by a highly stressed 3 cylinder high revving turbo engine connected via an electric motor to a Ford DCT transmission with legendary reliability and covered by a fantastic 3 'tears' warranty.

Check your Ford forums and read the glowing praise you find there - or perhaps you had better not.... :rofl:

I'm sure the comments in this thread about the Hyundai DCT box problems are genuine - but likely to be a fault with just that car and not generic.

As an aside - When I read some of the posts on Hyundai/KIA forums moaning about a particular model, it makes me think they should put things into perspective by visiting the VW and Ford forums to see the high number of complaints there. The Fiat and French brand sites are also a joy.

:baps: Alan

I'm tempted to pin that post for posterity and flag it as post of the year.

Good to see that you are obviously feeling better (or at least your pecker is)  :agoodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Don't go to the Chrysler boards.....

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Don't go to the Chrysler boards.....

I don't take orders - so bugger you  - I'm off for a peep. :kissmyass: :rofl:

Offline Flower

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, New Zealand
Hi Ziggy.  This link is to an i30 review by John Cadogan.  He explains the DCT gearbox very well, it's not automatic and it's a mistake to drive it like one.

:link: 2017 Hyundai i30 Review (a.k.a. Elantra GT Review) | Auto Expert John Cadogan | Australia - YouTube
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:27:50 by Flower »
  • 2018 PD i30 1.6 Turbo Limited Hatch

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal