i30 Owners Club

HD sportster engine update

Lakes · 80 · 13977

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Seeing a barrel in a lathe like that is unusual    :D

probably need to put a 4 cyl multi into a mill to do same ( if needed ). we did it as needed the piston to come up higher in the bore, to get comp right. some machine the head but you get better use of chamber bringing piston up higher in bore.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Gear Box has been Back Cut & Blueprint rebuilt, fits in like a cassette on this model. will help quick shifts

flywheels being pressed apart to remove rods, then pressed together & trued. then the pod ends, the pistons the piston pins, the rings and the clips that hold piston pins in. will all be weighed then the weight in grams will be worked out to give a balance factor of 52%, then what they call pop weights will be bolted in place of the rods & pistons. and the flywheels will then go onto a dynamic balancer it tells were to remove or add weigh ( don't expect this will need weight added ) then once it is balanced the pop weights are removed then rods & roller bearings replaced and the flywheels will be pressed back together then that press fitted crank pin will be welded in place to make it stronger and stop slip.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Going to be a great smooth unit when finished mate.  :victory:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thank's Mate.
after I get it going again get a few k's up will take it to the track see what time & speed standing quarter.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Looking good John, are you going to upgrade the rods or stick with the cast ibeams?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just looking again & it seems funny to be looking at flywheels.  :Shocked:
Too many car and Jap bike engines I guess.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Quite a project john. There is a lot to take into account. Sounds like you are really enjoying it. I can almost feel the excitement!  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Looking good John, are you going to upgrade the rods or stick with the cast ibeams?

Hi Craig , my friend has a new set of Corillo Rods that fit, but the stock rods are pretty good I have not seen any break myself. & have never broken a rod on a Harley. but have seen Top Fuel Harleys do it & some 124inch s&s motors break them. I won't be reving high prob about 6.5 maximum . the motor would go well over, if I lt it.
the weak part of all Harley rods is the Female rod at the base.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quite a project john. There is a lot to take into account. Sounds like you are really enjoying it. I can almost feel the excitement!  :victory:

Hey Dazz, I'll enjoy it more when I'm riding it. the way my friend set's up the gear box, I can shift that quick. it makes a big difference drag racing. he did gear box on my last Harley Big twin ( this is a sporty ) the last bike flew for a stock capacity street HD.
with this one just have to see. I'll post a pic of a sporty same style as this just longer swing arm. guy has similar mods to mine same barrels same stroke just barrels on his bored to the max ( I like to have room to resize after it needs a rebuild )

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

this guy a good rider & light & fit, he just started drag racing so still learning , engine set up similar to mine just longer duration cams higher comp. this is him leaving the line doing 10.07  130mph standing quarter no wheelie bars no air shift just foot shift. street bike. he will run high 9's as soon as more experience.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Hi Craig , my friend has a new set of Corillo Rods that fit, but the stock rods are pretty good I have not seen any break myself. & have never broken a rod on a Harley. but have seen Top Fuel Harleys do it & some 124inch s&s motors break them. I won't be reving high prob about 6.5 maximum . the motor would go well over, if I lt it.
the weak part of all Harley rods is the Female rod at the base.
Yeah I wasn’t expecting them to break, usually pretty solid motors, was more thinking if you’re looking at performance you could reduce the rotational mass with some lightweight comp rods...give it that extra bit of pep😁

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great thread. Thanks for the picture John. You are getting good at this!  :victory:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

this guy a good rider & light & fit, he just started drag racing so still learning , engine set up similar to mine just longer duration cams higher comp. this is him leaving the line doing 10.07  130mph standing quarter no wheelie bars no air shift just foot shift. street bike. he will run high 9's as soon as more experience.

Needs to keep right foot on brake pedal keeping a little pressure on to help keep front down.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Needs to keep right foot on brake pedal keeping a little pressure on to help keep front down.

Hey Mick  good point, but he is drag racing, see how he has finger on clutch leaver, & both feet coming off ground together. you need to have both feet on ground to do a straight pass, one foot on peg and you weave to one side. if Bike goes up too high he will control it with the clutch. it will come down smoothly under full power. it has 6 inch longer than stock swingarm. makes them easier to to race straight line but I don't like the look. and slower in corners.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
You've given me the finger !  :rofl: 
I see it now mate.  :winker:
Extended swing arm and still lifting the front like that  :evil:
Seen some huge extensions done on Hyabussa's etc, in the end they just make doing  burnouts at  speed easier.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I used to race against, guy's with extended swingarm Busha's, most had turbo's. helped give them more confidence to, try to get 60 ft time down in quarter mile. as you have to go very hard off the line to do a quick 60ft , if you go off easy then give it more you finish up runing mid 11's ( on a haybusha. but I also knew riders that could run a 9.7 on a stock hayusha off showroom floor. but very good riders. problem is it is not as easy as just putting a very long swingarm on. they have to spend a lot of time setting the bike up. can have a traction problem moving the rear wheel back too far. but another problem is if they use a slick tyre or a Shinko hook up, they can't just drop the clutch at high rev. I raced a guy with a very long swingarm and a flat car type slick. was a jap bike. he did that at the track with the track race prepared ( very sticky ) and when the light dropped in his lane he stood the bike straight up on rear wheel. because of long swinarm, the rider was very high up in the air, he backed off very quick and bike dropped with a jolt. :Shocked: :eek: think he messed his pants.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I used to race against, guy's with extended swingarm Busha's, most had turbo's. helped give them more confidence to, try to get 60 ft time down in quarter mile. as you have to go very hard off the line to do a quick 60ft , if you go off easy then give it more you finish up runing mid 11's ( on a haybusha. but I also knew riders that could run a 9.7 on a stock hayusha off showroom floor. but very good riders. problem is it is not as easy as just putting a very long swingarm on. they have to spend a lot of time setting the bike up. can have a traction problem moving the rear wheel back too far. but another problem is if they use a slick tyre or a Shinko hook up, they can't just drop the clutch at high rev. I raced a guy with a very long swingarm and a flat car type slick. was a jap bike. he did that at the track with the track race prepared ( very sticky ) and when the light dropped in his lane he stood the bike straight up on rear wheel. because of long swinarm, the rider was very high up in the air, he backed off very quick and bike dropped with a jolt. :Shocked: :eek: think he messed his pants.
And probably cracked a nut   :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well motor almost finished, so won't be long now.
here is a pic.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Gee, you're motoring along with it now..  :D

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well motor almost finished, so won't be long now.
here is a pic.

Let the burnouts, oops, fun begin  :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

also forgot to show flywheels finished, they found roller bearings & crank pin to be like new, but big end of rods like an egg, so resized & got rods perfect, balanced trued & welded crank pin. the guy who did it is from Sweden , ( lives here in Australia now ) he has worked in aircraft industry & does good work. he has also lived & worked in USA. I'm happy with the job he did.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

When are you expecting to be able to give it a test run John? :cool:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Dazz, not sure yet, just taking time, but once it's going I do a lot of riding. just like to make sure it's all done right.

then after I get enough k's up, I'll take it to the track.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Dazz, not sure yet, just taking time, but once it's going I do a lot of riding. just like to make sure it's all done right.

then after I get enough k's up, I'll take it to the track.

Okey Dokey!  :goodjob:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
hi again Dazz, my friend just told me motor is in the bike now, he still has to mount pipes fit the new Ohlins shocks put tank on, then when he starts it he will have to do the heat cycles ( you start & stop & start a few times , letting motor cool between the starts & stops ) after that he will take it for short rides or might put on his Dyno to run it in a bit. I hate running them in myself.hate riding in Sydney when motor new, I'll probably leave very early morning, when I finally ride it home.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

hi again Dazz, my friend just told me motor is in the bike now, he still has to mount pipes fit the new Ohlins shocks put tank on, then when he starts it he will have to do the heat cycles ( you start & stop & start a few times , letting motor cool between the starts & stops ) after that he will take it for short rides or might put on his Dyno to run it in a bit. I hate running them in myself.hate riding in Sydney when motor new, I'll probably leave very early morning, when I finally ride it home.

Not long now! Keep us in the loop.  :happydance:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I will Dazz, I'll probably catch bus up to Sydney & ride it home ( I'm not a W H O R E!! ) ( we haul our ride everywhere )

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I will Dazz, I'll probably catch bus up to Sydney & ride it home ( I'm not a W H O R E!! ) ( we haul our ride everywhere )

Love it   :lol:  :lol:
Heard of "Trailer Princesses" before.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

It's running, my friend said it started straight up & fired up quick sounds good. will do heat cycles next week & ride it check everything.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal