i30 Owners Club

That Sports mode, though...

Barbarulo · 14 · 20549

Offline Barbarulo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2018 SR Premium PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6 "Blue"
I usually putt around in Eco mode in my PD SR to save fuel. Pretty happy with the results (7.2 l/100km in first 5000 km). But I've 'discovered' the joys of sports mode, particularly when I'm in (ahem) a hurry. Wow, hard to believe it's the same car! Finding it very difficult to be 'good'.
  • 2018 SR Premium PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt turbo DCT, Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I usually putt around in Eco mode in my PD SR to save fuel. Pretty happy with the results (7.2 l/100km in first 5000 km). But I've 'discovered' the joys of sports mode, particularly when I'm in (ahem) a hurry. Wow, hard to believe it's the same car! Finding it very difficult to be 'good'.

I find normal the best compromise.  Sports mode is good if you need a quick get away at the lights or crossing a busy road from a dead stop, but as you say it's a bit too peppy for every day use. I found eco too tardy. I've been averaging 7.3 l/100kms since I got the car 40,000 kilometres ago using mostly E10. Since I've been using 91 I think it's getting better. I saw 5.9 on a long flat run at 100 kph today!

P.S.  Don't think eco saves much. Maybe .1 L/H at the most.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Finding it very difficult to be 'good'

Yup me too, I've been naughty.  Since I got the car till now, I have not put it in Eco mode, the zippiness just not there and ruin the whole driving experience.  Normal is when i am good, and when I want a little more fun get up and go @ traffic light or T crossing, then Sport hit the spot real good.  Enough power to have fun but not enough to get me into trouble like the I30 N :P
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
I think my PD SR fuel economy is mostly bad as on i'm mostly on freeway stop start in mornings, and sports mode / paddle shifts when on open road. Its a great car.

Autolink gave me report yesterday of average 12.1l/100 kms. Whoops  :head_butt:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
those self shifting cars seems to be a bit heavier on fuel than the manuals, is that typical ?
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
I dont have figures to back that up but DCTs are bit more thirsty than Manuals, but much better than torque converter automatics. I guess ultimately it is how you drive it   :evil:
I just wont being winning the most frugal driver of the month   :whistler:

Offline Barbarulo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth

I find normal the best compromise.  Sports mode is good if you need a quick get away at the lights or crossing a busy road from a dead stop, but as you say it's a bit too peppy for every day use. I found eco too tardy. I've been averaging 7.3 l/100kms since I got the car 40,000 kilometres ago using mostly E10. Since I've been using 91 I think it's getting better. I saw 5.9 on a long flat run at 100 kph today!

P.S.  Don't think eco saves much. Maybe .1 L/H at the most.

Well, that's made my day! Gunna kick Eco mode to the kerb!

Offline Barbarulo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth

I think my PD SR fuel economy is mostly bad as on i'm mostly on freeway stop start in mornings, and sports mode / paddle shifts when on open road. Its a great car.

Holy cow!  :Shocked:

Offline Barbarulo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth

I dont have figures to back that up but DCTs are bit more thirsty than Manuals, but much better than torque converter automatics. I guess ultimately it is how you drive it   :evil:
I just wont being winning the most frugal driver of the month   :whistler:

According to the Hyundai website, the 2l and diesel manuals are .1 to .2 l/100km more economical than auto. The 1.6l petrol turbo is the same for DCT and Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Take another look Scott. When my Autolink was working, I'm pretty sure they report it as kilometres per litre so if that is the case, not as bad as you thought...

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I think that AutoLink lied :)  I look at the car dash, and it average so far in the City is 8.6 L/100 and I use normal mode with 91 fuel.

The picnic trip 350+ km round trip a few weeks ago got me down to 6.x L/100km :)  and that also on normal mode.  Just pure fun.  I am happy with the fuel consumption considering i used to have over 10+L/100km on my old Subaru
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 02:48:40 by Blazorax »
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Quote from: Crustycottage on 13 hours  ago

Autolink gave me report yesterday of average 12.1l/100 kms. Whoops 

Take another look Scott. When my Autolink was working, I'm pretty sure they report it as kilometres per litre so if that is the case, not as bad as you thought...

you are both wise and correct dazz , 12.1 km per litre. I didnt read the small print   :sweating:  :snigger:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

you are both wise and correct dazz , 12.1 km per litre. I didnt read the small print   :sweating:  :snigger:

Fuel is relative. I've had that or higher in our GD, Dazz cracked 17 once   :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fuel is relative. I've had that or higher in our GD, Dazz cracked 17 once   :lol:

Oh yeah! I forgot that. Last time I went on the Spirit I think!  :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal