i30 Owners Club

Got new transport ( little van )

Lakes · 8 · 1729

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi All well have not posted much for a while, but I'm still here & via my father I still get to drive an i30 when up Sydney at his place ( PD 2.0 Petrol auto ).
Well am almost ready to Move from my unit I just sold to another unit ( about same size but 1 hour closer to both Sydney & Canberra ) trouble is the Old HiLux 4wd tray back a bit hard to get in new garage, although the new garage larger, just a tighter turn into it. and I don't drive up through the bush on dirt roads & off road to visit my cousin like I used too ( still keep in touch ). plus the pushy group are planning more rides away ( two & three days ) so could not leave a mountain bike like mine on back of ute over night. I don't like van's as most are forward control, don't feel right to me ( I have driven my fair share of them when working ) & they use a lot of fuel. But have known a few people that owned and worked with those little VW caddy vans and they all liked them said how reliable & good on fuel plus ok to drive.
So while up in Sydney, I went trolling used car dealers  :whistler: , I found one that is short wheel base, no windows & 1.6 TDI auto has a lot of K's up but it did them fast & has never had big loads in it . looks in really good almost new condition. dealer told me take it for a test ( on my own ) I was impressed with how smooth the auto shifted & how nice it drove. had my HiLux with me so said to dealer I'll put deposit & come back on the bus & trains to pick it up. because I'm so far down the coast public transport nothing like what u get used to in Sydney. I had to get up very early meet bus up the road at 4,30am  :Shocked: , then catch a diesel train , then swap to an electric train to Sydney, then swap trains to get to closest station to dealer, I phoned him & he came picked me up. left home 4.30am arrive near dealers 12noon. van was in like new he had it detailed really nicely. after all signing and $ hand over I'm off I filled up with BP ultimate Diesel 52L of it 60L tank he did not give me much fuel!! then I'm off home 300+ K about 4.5 hour driving. you can tell if it's a good fit if your first drive takes 4.5 hours non stop & you feel good when you get out at the end. fuel gauge was still up near full when I got home. I then showed my cat ( no wife ) & put my mountain bike standing up on its wheels in the back tied it down & drove down to Mystery Bay to my riding friends to show him. he likes it and that's saying something as he has a vintage Chevy V8 pick up he carries his mountain bike in.
well only time will tell. the little diesel ran well I did not drive it as hard as my little i30 CRDi manual and this has a 7 speed auto with two dry clutchs I think judging by the rev's at speeds this is a lot taller geared than my i30 was and it held 7th gear most of the way shifting to 6th on big hill's & 5th in towns. I noticed I could pull away from 4 cylinder petrol cars following me when we hit hill's & I was going easy.
did not use cruise control as I could not see it  :lol: . but looking at owners manual I found it, it is more like holden or GM use, the Hyundai use a cruise control more like what you find in Ford's, I like the Hyundai CC better but will see how this goes when I use it.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Sounds fantastic mate :victory:

Quote from: Lakes
did not use cruise control as I could not see it

Buhahaha :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Good luck with your Caddy, Lakes! It sounds like you scored a good one.. :goodjob:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Sounds fantastic mate :victory:

Quote from: Lakes
did not use cruise control as I could not see it

Buhahaha :lol:

Steve CC is a very small switch to top of the left side stalk, with a button at the end.
not obvious at first look, so as I knew they have CC thought better to wait till I get home and read manual. also I'm back to left side indicator switch, at the start always using the whippers, but u get used to it.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Good luck with your Caddy, Lakes! It sounds like you scored a good one.. :goodjob:

Thank's Paolo !!! I hope so, time will tell.

when I got home people who have a unit near mine that use it for holidays, were here for a holiday and they have a VW diesel with the same trans. its a larger sedan?? there's is 2.0 TDI DSG they bought new in 2010 & trouble free they like it it gets 1,100k before a refill from a 55L tank ( mine has 60L tank & motor like the i30 CRDi 1.6 )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well done mate. Sounds like you made a good choice.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@Lakes
Great score for you.  Old hilux would have shaken you around a fair bit.  Caddy should be comfy.
Hope cat approves of new transport unit.  :goodjob:
Bike fits in easy -bargain  :goodjob: :goodjob2:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@Lakes
Great score for you.  Old hilux would have shaken you around a fair bit.  Caddy should be comfy.
Hope cat approves of new transport unit.  :goodjob:
Bike fits in easy -bargain  :goodjob: :goodjob2:

Hey Thanks Mick!! yes the HiLux came to me with Old Man Emu lift springs & shocks , they have a very firm ride like a truck, but I found driving fast off road they smooth out. in road very hard but for it's hight it handled ok.
after rear wheel drive , I can feel the torque steer feeling in steering of the Caddy, just like I could with my two i30 CRDi, but I got used to it. for all it's harsh ride , the Hi Lux rear wheel drive had good steering & gear box felt good (strong ). but Caddy ride smoother can feel the stock steel wheels with big profile tyres flex a bit in corners . I think I can also fit my Buell or Harley Sportster in the rear of the Caddy if I get a ramp, as it has barn doors much easier that the single lift up type rear door.

Hey am going to meet Ulysses at Batemans Bay for a ride ( not a member but some of my Pushy riding friends are. ). so while I'm in Narooma the ride for me will be 140 k longer they ride about 200k.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal