• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Thanks Dazz  :goodjob2:
Here's where I think a lot of the DCT gearbox troubles start.
They are not an AUTO, FFS this guy is a motoring journo and can't get it right.
Totally different animals, look different,  act different, sound different,
( probably smell different too )
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
They are not an AUTO, FFS this guy is a motoring journo and can't get it right.

To the average driver - a DCT gearbox changes the gear ratio automatically in order to keep the engine in the appropriate gear for the driving conditions. The driver has no input - the gearbox makes the necessary changes automatically. Hence they call them an auto box.

It is difficult to detect the gear changes in my Niro as it slips from one ratio to another through the dual clutches. It is as smooth as any torque convertor box I have ever driven.

The very worst "auto" gearbox I have ever driven was a hired Citroen with a double cone belt auto. The damned thing was constantly changing its mind about what gear ratio to provide and was impossibly jerky in urban conditions

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi Al,
A CV ( constantly variable ) auto. Yep, most are crap !
Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but people that know only Auto boxes can get a rude shock as to how DCT feel and behave. DCT's can feel jerky (as the clutch does its job) from time to time. DCT's dont like to crawl along at less than walking pace as a Auto is happy to do. Going slowly in forward or reverse up a driveway again they can feel jerky. If you understand how they work ie manual gearbox-  solid mechanical drive via clutch/es, or, Auto gearbox-fluid coupling via torque converter,  it is not a worry.
 Agree gear changes are sweet, our Kona is magic when cruising or pushing on hard .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal