i30 Owners Club

Squeak/squeal- bearings?

Npmr · 3 · 8742

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
Hi
I would really appreciate any help or advice on this...

My UK 2016 i30  makes a squeaking/squealing sound as the wheels rotate but only after driving for some time eg 1/2 hour,  and after coming down a very steep hill! It usually persists for some time after this.

I have had brakes and pads replaced but it was there before and after this work, although it is slightly higher-pitched now and appears more noticeable when reversing. I had taken the car in to the dealer but they couldn't find anything obvious and the sound wasn't there when they had the car.

I have tried to video it and you can hear the sound -kind of chirping in forwards and more metallic in reverse (although slightly muffled by the ambient sounds of driving with the windows open)- YouTube links:

It doesn't seem to change when braking so I think its something to do with the wheels/rotation/bearings...

Any ideas and thoughts of how to confirm what the issue is?

many thanks

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
* update!

After driving for a few hundred miles more I can say that the noise does seem to stop when the brakes are used, even lightly.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Tried to listen videos, but my audio or my hearing is so bad that I did not hear a thing. If possible lift one corner up and try to wiggle the lifted tyre.

• i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal