i30 Owners Club

Calibre LED indicators

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
I just installed these new calibre indicators I got from super cheap and so far I am impressed with them. Definitely a brightness difference compared to my old iilumo ones that were 1860 lumens. Inbuilt resistor so far works as it should.

Link to purchase
:link: null | Supercheap Auto

Compared to my iilumo indicators

• 2019 i30 go, manual, white

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Be interesting to see how long they last being Calibre, can't complain for $32 anyway :goodjob2:

Is 900 lumen for the pair or each bulb? it would really tick drivers off behind you at night if it's per bulb :eek:

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
I checked the back of the package it just says 900lm. Still it’s better the 1860lm bulbs I had

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I checked the back of the package it just says 900lm. Still it’s better the 1860lm bulbs I had
1860 lumen would be for the pair of iilumo bulbs = 930lm each which is crazy for indicators :eek:

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Yeah they lit up the inside of people cars when they would turn infront of me at a T intersection. Can’t comment on the new ones yet as I haven’t driven at night with them but just from unlocking the car to check them in the dark I can see they are much less bright just hoping the last but that’s the risk with not well know bulbs like calibre. I’m just happy there’s finally a product that you buy off the shelf and put in and it works properly instead of needing resistors wired in like other LEDs from super cheap.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I went the other way. I replaced the flasher unit under the dash with a $2 eBay adjustable electronic type and now all my LEDs are operating without resistors anywhere - true economical low power, low heat operation. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Unfortunately I don’t think the pd has a replaceable flasher relay.

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Be interesting to see how long they last being Calibre, can't complain for $32 anyway :goodjob2:

Is 900 lumen for the pair or each bulb? it would really tick drivers off behind you at night if it's per bulb :eek:

Hot tip from an SCA employee, not all SCA 'homebrand' is crap. SCA oil is from a big name brand - confirm its not Castrol or Penrite but leave it there.. Some of the car washes are from koala care (big in truck game - blu murda). Past globes have been narva - I haven't checked the oem out for these ones yet. Batteries are Century (but not aussie made). Some additives are Nulon. List goes on.

I wouldn't personally buy SCA filters though - if you want to cheap out order in Sakura or just pay for the Ryco.

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Didn’t know calibre was a sca brand figured they were a stand alone brand and enduralight was the sca brand. Learn something everyday.

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Just an FYI - recently had LED indicator bulbs fitted to my rears & put car in for rego inspection.
Got knocked back as apparently LEDs are illegal.
So just put normal ones back in to get car passed & swapped them back after.
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Wow! In Sydney or everywhere in Oz?

Seems a strange law, given that electric vehicles have them fitted as standard these days...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Didn’t know calibre was a sca brand figured they were a stand alone brand and enduralight was the sca brand. Learn something everyday.

Before SCA went to Enduralight they were Calibre/SCA - they got phased out for the new range. JW speaker and Philips are discontinued in store, these new calibre LEDs seem to be the replacement for the JW range and price point.

Just for a bit of info;

So excluding oils (which is name brand supplied) - SCA branded is generally the lower tier item. Then there are the midrange - for tools etc this is toolpro, 'homebrand' but better quality than SCA by far. Then you have Stanley and Kinchrome as premium offerings, though toolpro is better than Stanley by FAR these days. Workpro stuff is relatively new but sits in between SCA and Toolpro.

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

Wow! In Sydney or everywhere in Oz?

Seems a strange law, given that electric vehicles have them fitted as standard these days...

Where LEDs are OE that's fine, same as cars that came with HID factory. 

It's where non-adr compliant LEDs are retrofitted that the issue lies.

It's stupid, my GD has LED DRLs, but my LED high beams aren't legal :crazy1:

Technically, they meet every specification to be legal (projector housing, under 2000lm) but no, not ADR on packet so bend over

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Just an FYI - recently had LED indicator bulbs fitted to my rears & put car in for rego inspection.

Thankfully I have 3 more years before my car needs a rego inspection. At that point I’ll probly have to change low, high and indicators for it to pass.

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland

Before SCA went to Enduralight they were Calibre/SCA - they got phased out for the new range. JW speaker and Philips are discontinued in store, these new calibre LEDs seem to be the replacement for the JW range and price point.

Just for a bit of info;

So excluding oils (which is name brand supplied) - SCA branded is generally the lower tier item. Then there are the midrange - for tools etc this is toolpro, 'homebrand' but better quality than SCA by far. Then you have Stanley and Kinchrome as premium offerings, though toolpro is better than Stanley by FAR these days. Workpro stuff is relatively new but sits in between SCA and Toolpro.

Ah ok thanks for that  :goodjob2:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Bloody inspectors, thankfully we don't have that nonsense in WA :disapp:

I'd also be querying that as I checked up on what we can and can't have regarding LED's with the police when I first started looking into them, indicator and brakes were allowed as long as not to bright but the headlights are a definite no...but I have them too :whistler: :D

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Bloody inspectors, thankfully we don't have that nonsense in WA :disapp:

I'd also be querying that as I checked up on what we can and can't have regarding LED's with the police when I first started looking into them, indicator and brakes were allowed as long as not to bright but the headlights are a definite no...but I have them too :whistler: :D

I think most people are taking that risk with their headlights  :sweating:

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
At that point I’ll probly have to change low, high and indicators for it to pass.

I'd guess that most inspection guys wouldn't be to worried about LEDs.
I'd had car serivced @ dealer that year & they origianally failed me for dodgy EPB switch. We could always get it to work but didn't work for their mech when he tried once. Had planned to get it fixed in coming months but big problem was that only had 3 days before rego expired so didn't give me much time to get new part from an alternate source & a reasonable price.

• i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
At that point I’ll probly have to change low, high and indicators for it to pass.

I'd guess that most inspection guys wouldn't be to worried about LEDs.

Hopefully that’s what will happen because changing them every 12 months will be a pain.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal