i30 Owners Club

i30 2017 Petrol Hatchback 1.4 MPI PDE LED bulbs upgrade

Offline Overdose

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
      Likovrisi
Good morning from GREECE
I own a Hyundai i30 2017 Petrol Hatchback 1.4 MPI PDE and I want to change the lights on the headlights with LED.
Do you have something suggested that has already been tried?
  • I30 III HATCHBACK

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Kalos irthate, @Overdose

I've put LEDs everywhere on my FD inside and out except the main and high beams. Anything incandescent is fair game for a cheap and easy eBay LED alternative but changing out a halogen lamp takes a bit of extra effort to match light temperature and dimensions, given the heatsink arrangements often incorporated. For some of these slightly longer options, I've found 3D printable replacement end covers, so anything is possible if you need it.

Start your a stopwatch. It won't be long before @CraigB will be along to provide you with some good options.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Overdose

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
      Likovrisi
I am mainly interested in the low and the high beam.
Inside I have changed everything with led
  • I30 III HATCHBACK

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi Overdose :)

I haven't done a PD before but I believe they're the same H7 bulbs as used on the previous GD model, the bulbs I went with are the JW Speaker direct fit as seen here :link: JW Speaker 999007 H7 LED Globe Bulb Direct Fit 360 LW 12/24V LED with CANbus + 750958178022 | eBay they're quite small and everything is built into the bulb so no need for extra canbus resistors.

There is a PD LED topic I replied in :link: i30 PD active LED headlights that shows how I fitted rubber boots to extend the dust caps on the low beam bulbs.

You'll also require adaptors for the low beam bulbs to mount correctly :link: H7 (LED) ADAPTERS - KIA, HYUNDAI, OTHERS– iilumo

“Note” the HB3 bulbs Brendon has mentioned below that are required for the PD model high beam.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 04:59:05 by CraigB »

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
I have done my 2019 pd with the bulbs and adapters @CraigB posted. I also have some output pictures in the above PD LED thread.

I use these for my high beam.

:link: JW Speaker HB3 LED Globe Bulb Direct Fit 12/24V LED with CANbus + Driver 999005 750958178008 | eBay
  • 2019 i30 go, manual, white

Offline Overdose

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
      Likovrisi
Unfortunately in Greece I can not find the right bulbs
I have changed more than 4 pairs and I have not been happy
Is there a company (Lasfit) which has bulbs for my model but does not ship to Greece
  • I30 III HATCHBACK

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Unfortunately in Greece I can not find the right bulbs
I have changed more than 4 pairs and I have not been happy
Is there a company (Lasfit) which has bulbs for my model but does not ship to Greece
If I use the eBay UK website the Australian sellers say they post world wide - H7 :link: JW Speaker H7 LED Globes H7 LED Headlight Kit H7 LED Headlight Globes 999007 | eBay

iilumo also post world wide their adaptors and other LED products :link: H7 (LED) ADAPTERS - KIA, HYUNDAI, OTHERS– iilumo

From personal testing and other peoples reviews of several different brands I can only recommend the JW Speaker bulbs though as they better represent the correct beam pattern of the OEM halogen lights without being to bright.

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Another LED option on eBay.com is the narva surefit you just have to make sure you buy the ones for projectors.

:link: Narva H7 LED Globes H7 LED Globes Projector Headlight Type Fit H7 LED Kit 18427P | eBay

Offline Overdose

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
      Likovrisi

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Narva website doesn’t appear to say if it’s canbus or not so probly best to stick to the jw bulbs as they have built in canbus

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Does it need canbus?
The Narva bulbs will require Canbus modules (sold separately) according to my local Repco manager...that I just called :)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Be careful when citing CANBUS. If your car has an advanced bulb monitoring system that gives you a dashboard indication that a bulb is blown, that's CANBUS.

If you need to stop hyperflashing of an indicator LED, that's not, and a CANBUS LED won't stop the hyperflashing. You then need a load resistor in parallel with it.

Not saying it applies in your case, just that many people think they are the same thing. :undecided:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Be careful when citing CANBUS. If your car has an advanced bulb monitoring system that gives you a dashboard indication that a bulb is blown, that's CANBUS.

If you need to stop hyperflashing of an indicator LED, that's not, and a CANBUS LED won't stop the hyperflashing. You then need a load resistor in parallel with it.

Not saying it applies in your case, just that many people think they are the same thing. :undecided:

PD does have an on board canbus system that gives a bulb out error.

I have canbus leds for my indicators and that stopped any hyper flashing, most indicators are advertised as canbus meaning they have inbuilt resistors to stop hyper flashing tho I have been bitten before by claimed canbus indicators that were not.

Offline andk1987

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lincolnshire
I've done this on my PD, very simple but for the low beams get the adaptors that have actual tabs so you can rotate them, otherwise you'll fail miserably, much like I did on my first attempt. Apart from that any old china bay H7 CANBUS LED will work but I'd recommend getting the ones with 350 degree chips.

• I30 PD

Offline zakariabhayat

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi All
great Post

does any1 have any instructions on removing the headlights to fit the bulbs? i have fat hands and i am struggling to get the bulbs out.

from the UK
  • 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.0, Manual, Silver

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal