i30 Owners Club

First time Mod - Exhaust System I30 Active PD2 2019

Reyon · 9 · 3013

Offline Reyon

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hey guys, new to this forum! Just wondering for recommendations of exhaust system that will give a crisp sound and provide modest performance gains for a Hyundai I30 2019 Active, not an N version ..
  • Hyundai I30 Active 2019 PD2

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Just replacing the large rear muffler with a more straight through design would satisfy most who want a sportier sound, if it's the twin exhaust type some resonators/hotdogs on each side in place of the standard muffler would also work.

Performance gains would be barely noticeable without changing the headers though that would also require some ECU tuning.

Offline Reyon

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hey Craig,

Thanks for the advise, since my car isnt turbocharged and just starting off I might not change the headers yet(will consider in future). My current stock one is a single exhaust on a y pipe. Thinking of switching it to a H-pipe catback system dual exhaust, would you happen to know how much would I be roughly expected to pay(in AUD)?.

Thanks again!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
would you happen to know how much would I be roughly expected to pay(in AUD)?.

Thanks again!
I've no idea what the catback system would cost you :Dunno: I can say it would be much more expensive than just replacing the OEM rear muffler with a straight though type like a Walker turbo, and the sound and performance gain would likely be identical.

Offline Reyon

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
okay thanks, It seems like its best to just change the rear muffler for a sportier sound and a step up from stock exhaust making it a bang for my buck! Appreciate the help!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Reyon

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Update,

Finally did a Cat delete along with semi straight through muffler with a new exhaust tip and on the first two days the exhaust sounded amazing with a deep sporty sound specially on revving. However; the last couple of days it sounds like my exhaust went back to quiet mode, is this normal? Should i go back to the exhaust shop and ask for advise. Would carbon generally build up on muffler?

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Update,

Finally did a Cat delete along with semi straight through muffler with a new exhaust tip and on the first two days the exhaust sounded amazing with a deep sporty sound specially on revving. However; the last couple of days it sounds like my exhaust went back to quiet mode, is this normal? Should i go back to the exhaust shop and ask for advise. Would carbon generally build up on muffler?

I'd just like to ask why you would do a cat delete? It's like a 10k fine in NSW if you get busted. There are so many cheap hi flows it makes no sense to run the risk with the EPA.

To answer your question, yes it is completely normal for a sports exhaust (or new exhaust in general) to get quieter as it carbons up. It will get to a point where the noise no longer changes.

Given that you've removed the cat, this is a good thing for you - less attention.

Offline Reyon

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Well theirs two catalytic converters, only one was deleted to get abit of performance gain +  not to screw with the sensors. Plus, driving a low profile hyundai I30 with a modest exhaust wouldn't catch the eyes of popo. Hmm I've looked everywhere else around this phenomenon but it seems like its just personal adjustment on exhausts sound hence I don't get to pay attention as much as I should.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal