i30 Owners Club

How to change i30 80A glow plug fuse

Offline billbgarland

• 1st Gear
I'm sure this should be easy but I cannot figure it out. The 80A glow plug fuse has blown. I have tried pulling it out but it will not move. It seems to be in a carrier with the 4 other fuses but this does not seem to come out either.

Any suggestions?

Also what does a new one look like so I can order one? There seems to be a few different types
  • i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi billbgarland and  :wlcome01:

From memory (I no longer own a diesel) you have to remove the relay box then remove the back cover of that. Then you'll be faced with an M6 bolt which needs to be removed to get the fuse out. 80A is too much for a simple press-fit fuse. Then again, my memory could be failing me.

Thing is, why has it blown? We've had reports of the glow plug rail shorting against the cylinder body, causing the fuse to blow.

:link: 80A glow plug fusible link blown. Again.

Can't help with a pic of it, though if you enter your VIN into the online form at :link: PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World and drill into the relevant section, you should get a part number that you can Google.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by »
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline billbgarland

• 1st Gear
Thanks. The car is new to me and last owner claims to have changed the glow plugs so maybe need to check the rail. Will
have a go tomorrow when this blizzard has passed.
  • i30

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
you need to find the short before replacing the fuse or you'll just blow another - as said it can be be +ve rail touching the block or the heatshield, or it could be one or more gloplug with a dead short.

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
When I purchased my car I discovered it had blown this 80 amp glow plug fuse , on further investigation I found the cause to be the solid metal strip that connects positive power to the glow plugs was bent and shorting to the engine block , I bent it out of the way and made sure there was plenty of clearance , replaced the 80 amp fuse and it has been fine ever since.

To change the 80 amp fuse you need to actually undo/remove the whole fuse box to get underneath the 80 amp fuse as it's bolted in place and can't just be pulled out like a normal fuse , you need to undo the bolt at the bottom of the fuse and it will come out , just do the opposite to install the new one.
  • 2010 FD WAGON ,DIESEL 1.6, AUTO, SKY BLUE

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal