i30 Owners Club

Overhead DVD player

Offline I30newowner

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Scotland
Good day to you all.
As the title suggests, I'm after info on fitting (if possible??) an overhead DVD player.

I have (nearly) 5 year old twins who enjoy movies now and then and it's better for me as they don't kick my chair as much.

I already have dual monitors attached to the back of the front headrest, but it's not practical as one monitor powers and also sends the display to the second, so I have a cable trailing from one monitor to the other.
Has anybody done this kind of mod, and if so, how?

Thank you for your time.
  • 2012, GD hatch 1.4 petrol, 13,500 miles, steel grey (ZAR)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hello.

I've attached domestic electronics to my cars over decades. I think the most striking was a 5" CRT TV to my '83 model as a centre armrest for viewing from the back seat, complete with rabbit ear aerial in the rear window - ah the 80s!

My i30 is a mod platform and is doing very well with enhancements done very cheaply that usually take years to filter down from the top makes and models.

For your situation, given you already have the screens installed, wouldn't you be better off just using a longer slave cable, long enough to go down, across and up without being suspended between headrests? If it were mine, that's all I'd do.

Don't underestimate how fast DVDs are going out of vogue. You're better off managing a few USBs than DVDs. However, if you do have a penchant for the DVD player, there are plenty of options on sites like eBay, new or used. There will be no problem locating power for it.

:link: Ford Territory - Futuris 8.5” TFT-LCD Screen With DVD Player - Overhead Combo | eBay
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline I30newowner

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Scotland
Hi Gonz,

Thank You For your reply.
Yeah having the cable suspended isn't great, but my twins love their DVD collection, and they have fun (sometimes) going through the wallet looking for something to watch.
Now that they are in booster seats and are secured by the seat belt (as opposed to car seat seat belts) they are closer to the screens than they were in my old car (zafira B) hence why I thought an overhead would be a better option.

I'll have a look for longer cables.

Thank You again
  • 2012, GD hatch 1.4 petrol, 13,500 miles, steel grey (ZAR)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal