i30 FD - vanity mirror housing fix

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Hi all,

So the other day I noticed that the plastic housing that is embedded within the sunshade on the passenger side was loose and as a result, the little flippy cover that activates the light mounted in the headliner wouldn't stay open.

I removed it today and thought I'd document my experiences with it on here.

To remove the shade from the car, there are two large Philips head screws to remove after which it pops out of the roof lining. There is a cable that I initially struggled with. You will need a thin flat screwdriver to unclip it, otherwise you might risk pulling the wires out of the connector as the wiggle room isn't very much.

I found that the plastic that keeps the metal springs in place to keep tension on the flippy cover was brittle and broke so it wasn't putting tension on the springs anymore. I used some PVC glue and clamps to keep it in place while it sets. Hopefully it will be strong enough to hold for a couple more years. The i30 was never very popular in South Africa, so spare parts aren't readily available.

The offending part

She's done for, sir

All clamped in place, with some glue added for good measure

Did the fix work? Find out next time on the next episode of PhireSide vs Vanity Mirror Housing :mrgreen:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
So fast-forward a few days and my fix seems to be holding up well. The mirror is still secure, and hasn't threatened to pop out again. All in all a good fix, and a cheap one at that.

This morning my battery warning light came on while driving, but that is a story for another thread...

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Thanks, Phil. I have the popcorn ready for the next story. :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Thanks, Phil. I have the popcorn ready for the next story. :D
If I could give you one word as a sneak peek, here it is:

LAMBDA

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
LAMBDA
:rofl:

(click to show/hide)
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
LAMBDA
:rofl:

(click to show/hide)
If only!

My OBD dongle revealed that I am getting some rather suspicious readings from my o2 sensor. I picked up another sensor today, AU$135 later  :'( but, hopefully this is the last of the "bad luck happens in three's" spree (Vanity mirror, alternator, o2 sensor).

I'm currently waiting on a socket to remove the sensor with, as I don't have any with cutaway walls to accommodate the sensor wires and I don't feel like forking out another AU$45 for a socket. The car still drives, but I would like to get it sorted before long.

There is still the issue of the rear wiper that doesn't return to the stop position, but that I can live with. We have been in a drought for the last two or so years, so rain is a bit of a nonissue anyway.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal