i30 Owners Club

Costly camera!

Diemji · 5 · 3682

Offline Diemji

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, New South Wales,Australia
I have an i30 SR Premium 2017.I bought the car about 18 months ago,and it had done around 48K km.
The LKAS and DAA systems have not worked since I got it.
I have had the vehicle serviced twice, the last time a couple of days ago.On both occasions I advised the service departments of the problem. And,both times they have returned it claiming the systems were functioning properly.
Both systems appear in the LCD with the appropriate graphics, but will not activate when the correct conditions are met.
I got the technician to go with me on a drive so they could see the problem, and they agreed that it was not working.
The workshop got back to me, as I had left the car after the test,and advised that the problem was with the windscreen camera.The camera had to be replaced and recalibrated.
Fortunately the car is still under warranty,as the cost of the new part is $4500!!
At this point Hyundai is in the process of confirming the warranty claim.Hopefully there won't be any trouble with that.
This is just to advise owners of the potential cost to repair these safety systems,that rely on the windscreen camera to operate properly.
Considering that such systems aren't essential for the operation of the vehicle,it would be very hard to justify the expense outside of warranty.
I guess Hyundai are taking their time approving the warranty claim due to the high cost of the parts.However,the warranty is still current, and there was no negligence on my part.
Stay tuned.
  • 2017 PD i30 SR Premium 1.6L turbo DCT Grey

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hope it all works out for you.

But the $ figure just reinforces my long held belief that as these cars with beautiful modern technology start to fail, the second or third owners are going to get some shocks.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mrpayner

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat
And also, why you should always option the "windscreen" portion on an insurance policy!
  • 2019 Hyundai i30 N-Line Premium - 1.6lt T - DCT - Fluidic Metal

Offline Diemji

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
I have an i30 SR Premium 2017.I bought the car about 18 months ago,and it had done around 48K km.
I have had the vehicle serviced twice, the last time a couple of days ago.On both occasions I advised the service departments of the problem. And,both times they have returned it claiming the systems were functioning properly.
Both systems appear in the LCD with the appropriate graphics, but will not activate when the correct conditions are met.
I got the technician to go with me on a drive so they could see the problem, and they agreed that it was not working.
The workshop got back to me, as I had left the car after the test,and advised that the problem was with the windscreen camera.The camera had to be replaced and recalibrated.
Fortunately the car is still under warranty,as the cost of the new part is $4500!!
At this point Hyundai is in the process of confirming the warranty claim.Hopefully there won't be any trouble with that.
This is just to advise owners of the potential cost to repair these safety systems,that rely on the windscreen camera to operate properly.
Considering that such systems aren't essential for the operation of the vehicle,it would be very hard to justify the expense outside of warranty.
I guess Hyundai are taking their time approving the warranty claim due to the high cost of the parts.However,the warranty is still current, and there was no negligence on my part.
Stay tuned.

Finally got the warranty claim approval, after about ten days.
Took the vehicle in this morning and had a look at the paperwork. The part,MFC - Multi-Functional Camera, was $3615 plus fifty-odd dollars labour cost. Not $4500,but close, and still a substantial amount of money to repair a non-essential system.
Fortunately, Hyundai will stump up for cost on warranty.
As much as drivers like, and use,these safety systems,I suspect that there are few who would be willing to outlay such a  sum to have them repaired should they fail outside of the warranty period.

Offline Diemji

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Stay tuned.

Finally got the warranty claim approval, after about ten days.
Took the vehicle in this morning and had a look at the paperwork. The part,MFC - Multi-Functional Camera, was $3615 plus fifty-odd dollars labour cost. Not $4500,but close, and still a substantial amount of money to repair a non-essential system.
Fortunately, Hyundai will stump up for cost on warranty.
As much as drivers like, and use,these safety systems,I suspect that there are few who would be willing to outlay such a  sum to have them repaired should they fail outside of the warranty period.
And also, why you should always option the "windscreen" portion on an insurance policy!
Mr
mrpayner,
                   I suspect that the optional windscreen cover on an insurance policy would not extend to the replacement of the windscreen camera. Insurance companies never give anything away!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal