i30 Owners Club

I30 GD: Blocked windscreen washer nozzles/pipes

wbm00 · 8 · 9809

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Hi folks and Happy New Year :goodjob:

Last week the windscreen washers were working fine. All of a sudden today, neither nozzle is spraying any fluid on the windscreen.

I removed the pipe join and liquid is flowing through at a good rate, so the pump is fine.

I've blown compressed air to try and clear the blockage between this join point and the nozzles, but this has had no effect. I've tried covering one nozzle at a time when blowing the air.

I've used previous threads to troubleshoot but not sure what to do next. I wonder whether the pipe is blocked or possibly has come loose.

I'm not too confident about removing the wiper arms and the plastic windscreen trim to access the nozzles from underneath and the pipes, as this requires removal of 4 plastic retaining screws which could break.

Any ideas? I was going to prise the spray nozzles upwards, but don't want to risk breaking anything if they should be addressed/released from underneath. Any help very much welcome!
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
You mention you have looked at other threads. Did that include this one? : :link: Windscreen washer - low pressure(?) in passenger side

On past cars, I sometimes use some very fine wire to poke out debris from the jets themselves if they are blocked.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Thanks, yes I did look at that and it was helpful.

However, already tried using compressed air from the joining point that @eye30 circled in the photo, but no joy.

Not sure whether the pipe may be damaged, or has come loose under the plastic. Both nozzles were working fine last week!

I would try blowing air backwards from the nozzles, any ideas how to do this and get a good seal around each nozzle? I tried to prize one of the nozzles upwards but didn't feel like it was going to come up without breaking.

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Are you seeing any run-off of water when pumping?
Are you sensing an appropriate flow of air out of the jet when blowing into the harness?
A loose hose might be the problem after all.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Can't sense any air from the jets, but the screenwash level does go down, so the fluid is going somewhere...

I can't get the plastic trim clips off due to poor design by Hyundai (a traditional metal bolt was too costly for them apparently) so guess it's off to a garage.....

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I can't get the plastic trim clips off

If they're anything like the i10, who's trim I recently removed to replace the nozzles, there should be a centre push in the clips which will release them from the casing. I believe they're called "push fit rivets" or "auto trim clips".

:link: 7mm Push Fit Plastic Rivet, Hyundai 861552H100
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
In the meantime I pulled the plastic pipe out, at the point where it enters the plastic fascia, and found it was split.

Easiest solution was to buy an elbow connector in Halfords and reconnect after cutting out the split part of the pipe (the photo looks horrible, definitely needs a good clean under there)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 09:15:30 by Shambles »

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
A way to create a vacuum, is to use the trigger spray portion of a spray bottle. it doesn't create a huge vacuum but it may sometimes be better than pushing something deeper. Can be used to help with brake bleeding also.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal