i30 Owners Club

Installing i30N turbo into a i30 2.0 litre ?

Offline Flynn01

• 1st Gear
Hey, so I have a 2011 Hyundai i30 2.0 litre 5 speed manual hatchback and I am looking at purchasing a turbo from a 2.0 litre i30N and installing into my car as stated above.  Just wondering if anyone believes this can actually be done and any advise on the subject. It’s an interesting and technical modification and I just looking to gain as much information needed.  PS I know I would have to get the car tuned afterwards if it were installed.
  • 2011 Hyundai i30 2.0 litre

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You'll need to upgrade quite a bit of stuff, there is no turbo provisions in the standard petrol FD ECU so its likely an aftermarket ECU will be required plus cam and exhaust changes, maybe pistons to alter compression.

Drive axels and gearbox will need beefing up also.

Offline Ratmick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, VIC
You'll need to upgrade quite a bit of stuff, there is no turbo provisions in the standard petrol FD ECU so its likely an aftermarket ECU will be required plus cam and exhaust changes, maybe pistons to alter compression.

Drive axels and gearbox will need beefing up also.
Yeah it's quickly going to reach a point where it's not economically feasible...

It's likely to require the whole N loom and most of the stuff hanging off it as the normal i30 loom would be missing a whole shipload of sensors and the N ECU.

...of course given the base car is 2011 spec then the N ECU is likely going to think 'hey what the hell is this gearbox/O2 sensor combination???'.

If the pockets are deep then you'll need to speak to someone like Haltech...but if the pockets were deep you'd just buy an N  :lol:

I can think of 'worthier' projects (but what would I know, I own a 21yo V8 XR8 Falcon  :lol:) but I say go for it...

...and report back here  :goodjob2:

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 23:57:46 by Ratmick »
  • 2021 PD.4 5 Door N-Line Hatch, Petrol 1.6l Turbo, 6sp Manual, Fluidic Metal

Offline wh0-z3

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
You can join the group of people who spend more on upgrades by far than the platform is worth. Don't worry I've already done it, so I'm not poking fun.  You'll need an FMU, a turbo header package and some* (I don't even know what) fabrication efforts. you can *trick* the fd ecu fairly easily with a fmu, hp fuel pump and headers but, you're* (*I have) gonna hit all sorts of engine codes into boost over 6(?) [maybe more maybe less with a turbo] psi and even before if you're flat stick. in terms of standalone ecu's that is literally your ONLY choice... standalone or hack the stock ecu. Doesn't matter what you've been told that's just how it is...   :phone1: :phone1:
  • i30 2009 SR 2.0L Petrol - Highflow - TB Spacer

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal