i30 Owners Club

Checking the heater resistor under the glove box

Guest · 2 · 8487

Paul_king
So today I thought I would do some investigative work and share the results with you guys.

I didn’t know if my heater resistor was working or not so I removed it to test it.

I removed the three screws holding the panel under the glove box
Looking up you can see the resistor  it’s located on the right hand side.
I removed the two screws and it dropped down
I turned the ignition and  the heater switch on (the one with the picture of the windscreen with the arrows )
The light on the button is orange. It also turns on the A/c automatically which I turned off.
I could feel the resistor heating up. It also gets hotter as you turn up the fan speed.
I then wanted to see how hot it got 
Using the thermometer held against the resistor the highest temperature recorded was 95c so it gets hot.
I then reinstalled it and placed the thermometer in the windscreen vents.

I then recorded the results going thru the fan speeds
I also recorded the difference between the fresh air mode and the recirculating mode.
The best results were whilst using the recirculate mode A/C OFF. Fan speed 1 or 2. When switched to 3 and 4 the temp dropped a bit due to the increase of air flow.
When on fan speed 2 It got up too 44c
When on fan speed 4 it dropped down to about 39c
For those of you wandering the resistor is the 4 pin type on this model. I30 fd 1.6 crdi 2009.

Paul_king
So as you know I previously had problems with the heating/coolant system. I couldn’t get it above 32c
I finally managed to bleed the system and today I tested the system out.
It actually works.
I managed to read 50c at the air vents with an outside temp of 7c (whilst feathering the throttle)
Engine at working temperature
Front vents only
Fan speed 4
Recirculate mode
Heat max
On fresh air mode it averaged @ 45c
I also wanted to check if there was a difference between the driver side temp and the passenger side temp at the vents  and there was.
When I put the thermometer into the passenger side vent nearest to the window there was a difference.
Driver side  45c @ idle
Fan speed 4
Max heat 
Passenger side 37c @ idle
Fan speed 4
Max heat
I can only assume it’s because of the way the ducting is vented.

So now you know hope this was helpful and informative.  :crazy2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal