i30 Owners Club

Help with missing tyre centre cap/ wheel covers

Offline sleepy_jean

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
Hi all,
There appears to be something missing from one of our tyres, I believe it’s called the centre cap. However the front tyre has a centre cap that looks like a bolt? So my question is does this middle part have a functional purpose (is the bolt needed?) or can I replace it with any type of centre cap (like the flat ones with the Hyundai logo on them)?

Please see pics of the two tyres attached to see what I’m talking about.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for wheel covers as we had to replace ours after an accident using plastic covers from super cheap auto and they’re pretty rubbish (kept falling off). Not looking for anything flashy, just would rather spend a bit more on covers that lasts. I couldn’t find any place that sold i30 covers online.

Thanks in advance from someone who knows nothing about cars!
  • Hyundai i30 Active

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Do not touch the front nut, it holds the hub assembly together. Mine (alloys) has no dust cap either. The rear is fine, no cap needed it's bolted from the back (no drive axle). Aftermarket hubcaps all tend to be shit quality these days, but if you pay SCA to fit and they come off at least that will make it their problem (I'd they still fit them, some of their fitting services are discontinued). A sneaky trick is to get darker covers and run a zip tie through to hold it more securely.

Offline sleepy_jean

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
Thank you! Good to know the back wheel is meant to be missing a bolt.
Unfortunately I didn’t keep the receipt for the hubcap fitting at SCA but thanks for the cable tie tip. Will know for next time :)
  • Hyundai i30 Active

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal